PDA

View Full Version : hideous screech question

cdm18911
12-08-2006, 10:16 AM
hello all. i recently picked up a 89 accord lxi for a beater during the winter and i had a question

when i start these past cold mornings, there is a terrible screech. the owner showed me a reciept that all belts had been replaced.

also, when i turn on the heater, it'll do it again..and it doesnt even run off a belt. also, when i downshift, it will do it again sometimes...even if when the car is at normal running temps

my clutch is also slipping, and it almost seems (could just be in my head), that if i "pump" the clutch, the screeching stops faster

im just as confused as can be, any help from you 3rd gen folks would be greatly appreciated

thanks, cole

A18A
12-08-2006, 10:20 AM
:welcome: when the belts were replaced they prolly wernt put on properly, did you try adjusting the alternator/water pump belt, a/c belt, p/s belt?? they might be a bit loose, try tightening them maybe?

Jasonf860
12-08-2006, 10:38 AM
I'd bet you just need to adjust the belts.

bobafett
12-08-2006, 10:44 AM
yeah i would just double check your alt/wp belt.

when i rebuilt my motor i thougt i had it plenty tight enough, but when i started driving it it squealed really bad until i tightened it up even more!

MessyHonda
12-08-2006, 11:57 AM
yup belts suck....wut i did is hit the brakes and pump em....lol im soo ghetto

Oldblueaccord
12-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Hopefully it is just the belts.

If putting the clutch in or out in neutral makes the noise come and go then I would start looking there.

wp

cdm18911
12-09-2006, 12:46 AM
hey guys, thanks for the welcome and input.

the clutch isnt making the noise itself, im pretty sure its the increase in rpms from downshifting(i think the pumping was all in my head :) )

ill tighten the belts and cross my fingers

thanks again