PDA

View Full Version : Coolant

russiankid
12-08-2006, 07:00 PM
So i just finished my water pump replacement. When my brother and I bleed the system, for a little bit there was orange colored coolant squirting out of the bleeding screw. After about 15 mins of the engine running, it turned green and there was so sign of orange coolant. I did flush the system out with water, including the block. If there is no more orange coolant coming out, should i be worried? The coolant in the radiator and the tank are green.

Oldblueaccord
12-08-2006, 07:03 PM
Guessing the orange was rust. Flushing it was the correct thing.

I would also use distilled water if you can or city water. Well water has alot of deposits that end up inside your motor.

wp

russiankid
12-08-2006, 07:06 PM
I did use distilled water. Im just curious if this is bad, because im pretty sure all of it is out.

88Accord-DX
12-08-2006, 07:11 PM
That is just rust in the block & in the radiator. In a couple years when the ethylene glycol antifreeze breaks down, put some radiator flush in there & drain.

russiankid
12-08-2006, 07:14 PM
That is just rust in the block & in the radiator. In a couple years when the ethylene glycol antifreeze breaks down, put some radiator flush in there & drain.
Alright...so it should be fine?

88Accord-DX
12-08-2006, 07:15 PM
Your ok with the distilled water & as long as you got all the air pockets out.

russiankid
12-08-2006, 07:18 PM
Your ok with the distilled water & as long as you got all the air pockets out.
Yea they are all out.

88Accord-DX
12-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Make sure your engine reaches operating temperature & your fans kick on properly. (thermostat check)

russiankid
12-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Well it's cold over hear right now. The engine did reach operating temperatures and the upper radiator hose was hot after driving.

MessyHonda
12-08-2006, 07:32 PM
when you take apart a block most of the water jackets are rust color....i should get some radiator flush...good call derek

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-08-2006, 07:51 PM
The heater core was not really flushed this time around, so rust probably came from there as well. And since the engine stood without coolant in the block for about a week, the jackets probably formed a layer of rust which got washed up by the fresh coolant. That's my theory :)

HondaBoy
12-08-2006, 08:00 PM
its not totally horrible. mine has the same condition. i plan to do a coolant swap though and probably flush it before doing so. but yeah, distilled water is the way to go with the coolant mixture if you want it to be effective in protecting your cooling system from rust and clogs from it.

Oldblueaccord
12-08-2006, 11:04 PM
wanted to add a mix of coolant and distilled water. My other post could be confused i would not run straight water with out an additive.

wp

88Accord-DX
12-08-2006, 11:15 PM
wanted to add a mix of coolant and distilled water. My other post could be confused i would not run straight water with out an additive.
wp
It's called a radiator flush along with & corosion inhibitor after that.

Oldblueaccord
12-08-2006, 11:22 PM
Heh

well around here we call it anti freeze.

I do run water and redline water wetter in my 440 to try and keep it from over heating but im not sure its a long time anti corrision fix so I cant recommend it.

wp

MessyHonda
12-08-2006, 11:31 PM
im having some problems with my car...it overheats when i rev it for too long....last time i had to go up a hill so i downshifted to 4th gear and i was going like 70-80mph i look down and my temp guage was at the 3/4ths mark...i slowed down and turned on my heater to take some heat off the engine.... the neddle went down...werid part is that i have my fans riged to be on all the time and i have a koyo radiator....i was thinking of geting some slim high performance electric fans to replate the OEM ones. you guys think i should clean my cooling system?....i knoe i should ...but your opinions are welcomed....sorry to hyjack your thread Sam.

88Accord-DX
12-08-2006, 11:37 PM

russiankid
12-09-2006, 06:41 AM
im having some problems with my car...it overheats when i rev it for too long....last time i had to go up a hill so i downshifted to 4th gear and i was going like 70-80mph i look down and my temp guage was at the 3/4ths mark...i slowed down and turned on my heater to take some heat off the engine.... the neddle went down...werid part is that i have my fans riged to be on all the time and i have a koyo radiator....i was thinking of geting some slim high performance electric fans to replate the OEM ones. you guys think i should clean my cooling system?....i knoe i should ...but your opinions are welcomed....sorry to hyjack your thread Sam.You may have air in the system or you need to flush out the the whole system. Maybe your radiator is dirty inside?

MessyHonda
12-09-2006, 08:39 AM
You may have air in the system or you need to flush out the the whole system. Maybe your radiator is dirty inside?

i havnet flushed it but when i got the car the radiator was busted so i got a brand new koyo....it sat with no coolent for like 2 days...i think it has a lil bit of rust....last time my fans would not kick on so we changed it with a junkyard thermal sensor and it still didnt work...so i riged it to turn on all the time...that time we took out coolent and put some new in. i open up the blead hole and green coolent came out. i think im going to replace my thermostat since i was cheap and didnt want to replace it.

russiankid
12-09-2006, 09:01 AM
Well the thermostat could explain the problem. I drove around today and let it idle for a bit till the fans kicked on. They kicked on and no leaks!

MessyHonda
12-09-2006, 09:29 AM
Well the thermostat could explain the problem. I drove around today and let it idle for a bit till the fans kicked on. They kicked on and no leaks!

yeah il check out the OEM one from honda

Cheeseburger
12-09-2006, 10:36 AM
my cheeseburger mobile is starting to do the same thing, but i have not used it for a while now, ill flush it this summer thats if i still have it:(

HondaBoy
12-09-2006, 01:00 PM
hey, that Redline product increases cooling ability works great. although read on the bottle its not to be used in cold climates that freeze. maybe that was when used alone with just water and a mix of the Redline? anyway, stuff works great. i used it in my datsun once before i put a new radiator in and it did wonders for keeping it cool. onlything is its not antifreeze and will freeze easily if used with only water.