PDA

View Full Version : dead cylinder?

mykwikcoupe
12-08-2006, 10:42 PM
So I bought a 89 sei with 180k on the clock. The guy said it needed a dizzy as the auto shop he had it at said it needed one and it would run but bad. So me having a few extra parts brought oe down with me. Turns out its not the dizzy but is the main relay as it acts like everyone elses that described the issue. I still need to get one but the car did run for a few minutes. #4 is dead, if you pull the plug wire nothing changes. The engine shakes some but has no noise at all. Thats what confuses me.

I figured id start with puling the valve cover and try checking for a stuck valve or a bad cam. Ill do a compression check but it wont tell me anything other than it s a dead cylinder. Any thoughts at all? Thanks mike

Oldblueaccord
12-08-2006, 11:02 PM
Spark? Compression? Fuel? need those 3 things at the correct time.

You can jump out the MR for the time being I did a write up on it in the EFI section and its in the FSM.

wp

88Accord-DX
12-09-2006, 12:04 AM
Well, if your dizzy is good & firing is fine. I would lean toward the fuel injector as long is your ECU is working right. Other things are good plugs & wires. Check for spark & compression on #4 cylinder also. Pull the plug out & see if spark is hitting the plug when it is grounded.

Not sure if you have an injector tester.

Edit- If you have an automotive sthethiscope, you can put the end up to the injector & here it tapping.

88Accord-DX
12-09-2006, 12:04 AM
dp

(giving away the secrects of the automotive field)

mykwikcoupe
12-18-2006, 05:43 PM
ok so #4 is totally dead the rest range from 120-130 psi. I checked the cooling system and it appears to be sound so id say the headgasket isnt the issue. One of the top thermostat wires is busted off the housing so the fans wont turn on. Id assume this has something to do with it though. Im leaning towards rings myself. I took off the valvecover and did a visual inspection, everything looked ok to me. Any other thoughts before I yank this thing out and swap it out for another engine.

87lxiaccord
12-18-2006, 06:16 PM
do a wet test on the three other cylinders to see if they have worn rings. while the car is off take the spark plug out of one cylinder and squirt oil into the cumbustion chamber then pop the spark plug back in and do a compression test if the compression rises then you have worn piston rings.

88Accord-DX
12-22-2006, 11:12 PM
120-130 psi is pretty low compression readings. Low compression readings generally point to worn rings. Some other cases are carbon on the valves not letting them seat good & the occasional jumped timing belt.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42937