PDA

View Full Version : MAJOR idle/low end circuit problems

hondamanlxi
12-09-2006, 05:48 PM
ok guys, this is for my 86 corolla. I know its not a honda but the carb is identical;)

from my post at toyota3tc.com:

current carb setup:

-completely striped of all junk(emissions, electric choke converted to manual, all goofy electric carb parts)
-has two vac line straight to manifold(one for dist, other for secondary pump)
-completely rebuilt, and right
-no vacuum leaks(gauged)

problem:

-idle surges from 500-2000( identical to an IACV on an FI car)
-spits sputters bogs BAD when the throttle is barely open or crusing
-frequently stalling

i de-emissioned it prior to rebuilding carb and it ran fine. After rebuilding the carb i gain a bunch of mid/high end(after you cross the bogging point) power but now have this.....

A20a1, i know its been awhile, but your still my hero! And hey, atleast its still old school;)

EDIT: there is one difference in the carbs: i have two soleniods, and idle cut-out and some unknown. I disconnected them and there was no real change and the problem was still there

VTEC_Inside
12-09-2006, 11:32 PM
What about the idle A/F mixture screw? Did you remove it duing the rebuld? DId it go back to the same place if you did?

Whats the float level?

hondamanlxi
12-10-2006, 12:10 PM
float level is good and i cannot find the idle jet or the adjustment screw!

Keachman1
12-10-2006, 06:25 PM
The idle cut-out solenoid needs to be hooked up to a 12 volt source that is switched on when the car is running. If not, it will run like crap if at all. Are you sure it is getting 12 volts when it was connected and you don't have a blown fuse?

A20A1
12-13-2006, 05:29 AM
I would agree with the cutoff solenoid

But are you saying your secondary is connected to the manifold, or to the carb, it makes a difference, it should be connected to venturi vacuum if its the same as the accords.

How does the car run/idle when you disconnect and plug the ignition advance diaphragm?