PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger...quite a few questions

2drSE-i
12-09-2006, 11:59 PM
Alright assuming i make the leap to OBD-1 to manage fuel, make all appropriate changes as far as that goes, why not go supercharger? i noticed the new Jackson Racing superchargers supposedly are good for 20+ psi without all the exhaust headaches caused by turbochargers...so other than lining up the pulleys, why not supercharge??

MessyHonda
12-10-2006, 02:39 AM
Alright assuming i make the leap to OBD-1 to manage fuel, make all appropriate changes as far as that goes, why not go supercharger? i noticed the new Jackson Racing superchargers supposedly are good for 20+ psi without all the exhaust headaches caused by turbochargers...so other than lining up the pulleys, why not supercharge??

its worth a try. if the b16 manifold fits with minor mods you can fit a supercharger.

guaynabo89
12-10-2006, 06:15 AM
its been discussed but i dont think anyone has tried it yet

supposedly there is a fear of the pulley hitting the master cylinder. if it would clear youd probably have to get a custom pulley made to get the offset correct along with figuring out how to mount a custom make a tensioner for the extra long belt you will also be needing.

i mean if you could find one used it might be worth a try but new its too much money to then need to modify a bundh of things.

for about the 2000-2500 starting price for the supercharger you can have a decent turbo sytem made up.

reanimator420
12-10-2006, 06:47 AM
superchargers for the win. but it would be a first though. try it

shepherd79
12-10-2006, 07:13 AM
i see jackson racing setups on ebay all the time for $700, but i think centrifugal setup would gain more power overall.

2drSE-i
12-10-2006, 08:29 AM
well apparently the old JR superchargers had a problem with the blower leaking oil..so F that haha. the new ones should be fine, but your right, it is alot of money. i just think that the headaches involved are significantly less than those of turbocharging.

AccordEpicenter
12-10-2006, 10:10 AM
a properly set up turbo system will ALWAYS make more power than a supercharger at the same boost level. I have never seen a JR supercharger running over 12psi so im not sure if 20psi is practical or if its possible really

2drSE-i
12-10-2006, 08:49 PM
i realize that.

MessyHonda
12-10-2006, 08:54 PM
i realize that.

i thoguht you wanted a b-series engine....maybe wrong guy...:wave:

white ricer
12-10-2006, 09:04 PM
has anyone tried fabbing brackets and mounting a centrifugal s/c on an series?? seems like if you got the belts to work it would be a reliable set-up.

snoopyloopy
12-10-2006, 09:09 PM
well, depends on the power you want. if you're building to see what's the max power you can push out of the engine, then go turbo. but if you just want more pep for you daily, then sure, why not try a supercharger? then afterwards, you can set up a twin charger set-up. :)

MessyHonda
12-10-2006, 09:13 PM
lol that would mean no pp,cc or ac....no thanks...mine is a dd...not a race car.

white ricer
12-10-2006, 09:18 PM
lol that would mean no pp,cc or ac.....

welcome to my world..

MessyHonda
12-10-2006, 09:22 PM
welcome to my world..

nice....i bet you get "hella" hp

snoopyloopy
12-10-2006, 09:34 PM
lol that would mean no pp,cc or ac....no thanks...mine is a dd...not a race car.
well, you have to be willing to sacrifice. but yeah, i'm with you. i'm all for power, but i want my creature comforts with it. when i can whip your ass w/ my ac on and you're sweating like a pig in a car that i spent a 1/5 to build of what you bought yours for, then we'll see who has the last laugh.

white ricer
12-10-2006, 09:37 PM
nice....i bet you get "hella" hp

"hella" hp as you would say is not what n/a rx7's have.

2drse-i, IMO its gonna be your decision whether you want to turbo or s/c, both would need an extensive amount of fabrication it sounds like. supercharging would be more original though

MessyHonda
12-10-2006, 09:41 PM
well, you have to be willing to sacrifice. but yeah, i'm with you. i'm all for power, but i want my creature comforts with it. when i can whip your ass w/ my ac on and you're sweating like a pig in a car that i spent a 1/5 to build of what you bought yours for, then we'll see who has the last laugh.

great minds think alike....woot...:welcome:

Shadowkat
12-10-2006, 10:21 PM
My A/C hasn't worked since the shop we took it to didn't have R12 fluid so my dad agreed to let them convert the systemm to R134a or whatever. Bad move. Hasn't worked right for more than 2 months at a time since. We finally gave up taking it in. I'm used to no A/C, especially since in Chicago I'm more worried about the cold and snow anyways and welcome the summer heat. Point is, I've always wondered if it would be possible to simply disconnect all of the A/C components on an A20A3 and use the space where the compressor used to be for a smaller sized centrifugal S/C for some moderate hp gains. Like others I'm not looking for a race car, but just a little more pep and more than anything a fun and interesting project. I love the challenge of a tricky project, and driving it is the sweet reward of a job well done. I was thinking, looking at some peoples turbo set ups and looking at the space in my engine bay, that maybe it could be possible to modify the existing bracket for the A/C compressor and simply mount the S/C there. Then, of course a custom pully would be necessary, but possible. Also, because of where the S/C would sit, it might be possible depending on how the S/C is configured to simply run an intake into the S/C from the driver's side wheel well or bumper. (this would act as a CAI and a short ram because of it's location) Also, from the S/C, again depending on how the S/C is configured, you could run the charged air from the S/C to an intercooler mounted where most of the turbo set ups on here typically do. And from there just follow the line of the normal intake piping back up to the throttle body. Perhaps this is just some crazy stupid idea that I'm willing to share with everyone because it's late and I'm tired from studying all weekend for finals. But who knows... maybe it could work. Any input from the peanut gallery?

And for the record, before everone goes off and says it can't be done and it's not worth it and this project is full of crap and you need to search and blah blah blah, I'd just like to mention that this idea is pure fantasy. Yes I would love to try it. But i have neither the time nor money nor fabbing skills. I have searched before and know all about the difficulties of supercharging an A20, but I've never come across anyone with quite the same idea as this. So please, this idea is meant for discussion and input as a pure fantasy and dream of mine with 99.9999% of never happening, just wanna know what everyone thinks.

ZackieDarko
12-10-2006, 11:16 PM
JSRC is said to hit the drivers side strut tower and the centrifugal force S/C's cost 5k brand new

2drSE-i
12-10-2006, 11:21 PM
ya the centrifugal ones are quite expensive....i have no money for this project but i was just thinking one day lol.

Shadowkat
12-11-2006, 12:05 AM
money issues asside. Assuming you won the lottery would the centrifugal s/c mounted where the a/c compressor typically goes ide work do you think? I only suggest this because I too have heard the jackson racing charger wont fit because the strut tower is in the way. So i figured the centrifugal would solve the space issue if one wanted the elusive 3g w/ supercharger.

EX-ileAccord
12-11-2006, 05:11 PM
I thought about building my own s/c running off the a/c pully. I was going to use the shaft from an alt and figure out the fan sizes and pully raitos and all that good stuff. I dont know I might still try it.

Jasonf860
12-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Small but effective... 4 ribbed pully comes with.......
http://www.v-performance.com/products.html

Shadowkat
12-12-2006, 07:33 AM
Small but effective... 4 ribbed pully comes with.......
http://www.v-performance.com/products.html

that link didn't work for me. could you try posting it again? I'm really intrigued...

Jasonf860
12-12-2006, 08:08 AM
Hmm, link works fine for me... here is one for the main page, just click on products then supercharger system. Of course some modification of the carb mount would be in order along with other mods to make it work.....
http://www.v-performance.com

Shadowkat
12-12-2006, 08:13 AM
I think my internet is just not working right. The main page shows up but when I click enter site the connection always times out... lame. You also said some modification to the carb mount would be necessary and I see you're running an lx. But would this s/c you linked me to that I can't actually view work with an lxi like mine? would that make it easier?

EDIT: Nevermind about the internet part. It works when I use firefox. But my other question still stands. And also I add this question: Woulf that particular supercharger even be able to go where the A/C is? I realize that it's efinitely not meant to go there, but it's been established that it can't go where the intake manifold is because the pully would hit the strut tower. So my question is, could this be modified to be attatched to where the A/C compressor goes?

AccordEpicenter
12-21-2006, 08:33 PM
just remember guys, the only supercharger that does not have any lag (yes, centrifugal superchargers have a slight lag) are positive displacement types like roots blowers etc

2drSE-i
12-21-2006, 11:45 PM
i got to thinking again (i know, me thinking right?) what if i completely removed the A/C unit and mounted it there? would that not make sense, seeing as how there is already a pulley mounted for it on the motor?

hotdoghogie
02-13-2007, 08:22 PM
pk j/w guys... i know this thread is old... but what about a g60 turbo off a carrado?

small... im sure you could fab up a mount and use spacers to adjust where the pully is located to get the offset right... then run the tubing up to your TB...

run your water hose to where all your a/c stuff was... seems like a weekend job almost...
i said almost

shepherd79
02-14-2007, 05:02 AM
you mean supercharger?
i don't think G60 came with turbo, it had supercharger.

A20A1
02-14-2007, 05:26 AM
Yeah they were Superchargers http://www.rp-motorsport.de/en/g-lader/g-charger-optimisation.htm

shepherd79
02-14-2007, 08:31 AM
does anyone know which direction do those engines rotate?

A20A1
02-14-2007, 12:24 PM
I only saw one place so far that said the cam sprocket rotates clockwise... but then the distributor on the other side of the motor also rotates clockwise... so I dunno which is true

I saw another site which is trying to allign the TDC and is says to rotate the crank counter clockwise... so then that makes sense if the pully rotates counter clockwise and the distributor rotates clockwise

found another site that says to rotate the Adjustable cam gear counter clockwise to advance it.

I think that is cool because the pullies on both are motors rotate counterclockwise but their motor still rotates opposite ours. :)

hotdoghogie
02-14-2007, 04:48 PM
this thread is a waste almost... too bad u cant make a tube to run from the supercharger to the mani..

ya i meant superchager... g60's are s/c... my bad
their no that fast but they do look hella great

shepherd79
02-14-2007, 06:18 PM
I only saw one place so far that said the cam sprocket rotates clockwise... but then the distributor on the other side of the motor also rotates clockwise... so I dunno which is true

I saw another site which is trying to allign the TDC and is says to rotate the crank counter clockwise... so then that makes sense if the pully rotates counter clockwise and the distributor rotates clockwise

found another site that says to rotate the Adjustable cam gear counter clockwise to advance it.

I think that is cool because the pullies on both are motors rotate counterclockwise but their motor still rotates opposite ours. :)

what do you mean rotates opposite of our engine. our engine rotates counterclockwise. it will be possible to use G60 supercharger. just have to figure out some crazy way to mount it and have belt ajuster in place.

A20A1
02-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Sorry I don't know what I was thinking then... too much late night google-itis.

bobafett
02-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Dont even bother using a g60 charger. they are barely able to keep up flow with the shitty 8 valve head, and they tend to melt themselves when overspun on a vw. a honda will want to rev 1000 rpm higher than a corrado and it would certainly kill the charger in less than a year.

i had a buddy with a modded corrado and the g-lader supercharger is hte biggest peice of shit vw has ever made. i would look elsewhere. his car with 11 psi on a gLader probably ran 16's or 17's, cause he ran mid 15's with 15psi on a MUCH more efficient charger. lol...and THAT charger costs 2500 bucks, so you are back to the cost factor.

also i think if you are mounting the charger on the intake side you will have issue with clearing the master cylinder, or possibly the strut tower. but im not sure how easy it would be to fab the sc on the front of the engine... u know they are pretty much supposed to stay on the intake sides of things. but im sure there are setups out there with sc on the exhaust side, but it won't be easy.

that said im sure it could be done. :)

shepherd79
02-15-2007, 05:18 AM
well, if you think, you can remove the AC and try to mount the SC there. use Vortech intercooler (b16 engine), and it should be good to go for mild boost.

smufguy
02-15-2007, 11:39 AM
If you are looking to use a G60, DONT. just use any other centrifugal superchargers.

those VW motors spun Clockwise from the cam side.