PDA

View Full Version : High Performance Mufflers

1989se-i
09-03-2002, 10:46 AM
What muffler do you guys recommend for high performance type application thingy majobs?

:rice:

shepherd79
09-03-2002, 10:48 AM
dynomax super turbo.

1989se-i
09-03-2002, 10:58 AM
Cool. Does it sound good? How much will this cost?

Site
09-03-2002, 11:09 AM
I think they're like $40 on SummitRacing.com.

2Fast_Fiero
09-03-2002, 11:30 AM
I'm going to use an HKS Hyper Muffler, and weld 2 1/2" exaust pipe to it and run it straight from the headers, THATS HIGH PERFORMANCE :D.

1988starter
09-03-2002, 01:40 PM
Dynomax sounds great and works damn good no angry bees or wet farts.

jlaccord89lxi
09-03-2002, 04:02 PM
what model number of Dynomax muffler will work with our cars. Mines a 89 LXi coupe , but i don't think it matters.

1988starter
09-03-2002, 04:22 PM
Dynomax super turbo

Part Number
WLK-17731 from
http://store.summitracing.com/

it is 32 bucks plus handlingor you can get the 2.5 inch one from advanced auto parts 39 bucks no handling but you need a 3$ adapter it works well. Many people love this muffler.

ninja2571
09-03-2002, 05:00 PM
I got a Tsudo Exhaust wit a 4" tip, its the best i love this thing pus theres a hp increase of 8 to 10 hp:flame:
got mine from local nopi dealer for 168 but if u dont wanna spend that much then go wit turbo muffler , but tsudo or #1 is the best

toastyghost
09-03-2002, 05:57 PM
Summit has free ground shipping! w00t

TeKKnoTeKK
09-03-2002, 06:06 PM
Magnaflow

MyGarbageLXi
09-03-2002, 06:57 PM
wat kinda tip u guys carm on ur Mufflers?????? does size of the ti p make a difff??

toastyghost
09-03-2002, 09:43 PM
The super turbo one is 2-1/4" inlet/outlet, and you would have to put a tip on it and an adapter if you're not doing full 2-1/4" cat back piping into the muffler.

2Fast_Fiero
09-03-2002, 09:47 PM
Tsudo is the best is that what your sayin??? HAHAHA, Last I checked, Straight Through Exaust Systems, and the Dynomax Mufflers, or Magnaflow mufflers were the best, HKS/Blitz systems are Identical to Dynomax, but they have 2 diff style mufflers, they have the actual muffler, then after that they have the glass pack muffler at the end. if you want some major high performance, run a 2 1/2" pipe from your cat all the way to this muffler and stay at that, unless you want looks, then add a tip, that would work just fine, but if you want sound and performance, get like a dynomax muffler, and a universal high flow muffler like what I got. the things you buy in race shops are all glass packs, those for the imports give you some mad power increases, but for somereason the actual mufflers do too. I couldnt tell you which one is the best, because I actualy belive there is no #1, its just however you want to run it. I'm gonna probably get a Dynomax Turbo Muffler, and a tip, or I'm gonna run straight through with the HKS Mufflers I have here at my house.

Jims 86LXI HB
09-03-2002, 10:31 PM
None of us are running the kind of highly tuned powerplants that even begin to make a strait pipe a enhancement. Don't kid yourself. :huh:

DarknessRS
09-03-2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB
None of us are running the kind of highly tuned powerplants that even begin to make a strait pipe a enhancement. Don't kid yourself. :huh:
Heh, well said. Besides, too much flow and you lose one of the best features of the 3G: low end torque.

2Fast_Fiero
09-04-2002, 12:00 AM
Yea, well I wont lose it, I won't even have a 3G motor for only about 6 months, explain the muffler situation then Jims, since I know your all mighty about this shit, I don't get how making it a bitch for exaust to get out of the engine gives it good low end tq.

DarknessRS
09-04-2002, 02:10 AM
I can't give the physics to back this up, but here it goes. Every engine requires backpressure to work. If you want to increase power in the higher RPMs, then you go with an exhaust system that has the best flow. Cars built to race benefit from this the most, because 90% of the time, they are always running near the top of their powerband. Close ratio transmissions will also keep them at no less than near the redline.

With cars that aren't initially designed for the sole purpose of racing, having the most torque near the redline isn't the best way to go. Those adjustable/tunable exhaust systems that are out there that come with something that helps restrict that flow. They are usually discs that can be added to restrict the exhaust flow, this helps increase the backpressure and more backpressure = more torque available @ lower RPMs.

Simply put: more flow = torque at high RPMs, less flow = more torque in the mid range or low RPMs

Experimental_Honda
09-04-2002, 06:13 AM
i would go with a nakayama racing sports muffler they sound really good, i have a 5 inch tip on mine and when i rev it sounds like i have a power plant.

Jims 86LXI HB
09-04-2002, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by MSIAccord_LXi
Tsudo is the best is that what your sayin??? HAHAHA, Last I checked, Straight Through Exaust Systems, and the Dynomax Mufflers, or Magnaflow mufflers were the best, HKS/Blitz systems are Identical to Dynomax, but they have 2 diff style mufflers, they have the actual muffler, then after that they have the glass pack muffler at the end. if you want some major high performance, run a 2 1/2" pipe from your cat all the way to this muffler and stay at that, unless you want looks, then add a tip, that would work just fine, but if you want sound and performance, get like a dynomax muffler, and a universal high flow muffler like what I got. the things you buy in race shops are all glass packs, those for the imports give you some mad power increases, but for somereason the actual mufflers do too. I couldnt tell you which one is the best, because I actualy belive there is no #1, its just however you want to run it. I'm gonna probably get a Dynomax Turbo Muffler, and a tip, or I'm gonna run straight through with the HKS Mufflers I have here at my house.

You can't make comments like this, proclaiming the superiority of strait pipes and not have someone on this board tell you your not thinking right. And you just because I'm the one that brings is up doesn't give you the right to cry about it. Quit your whinning and realize that where ever you learned that, it's wrong. And furthermore you need to rethink how you present yourself on this board. You need be part of the solution not part of the problem.

startersgirl
09-04-2002, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by DarknessRS
I can't give the physics to back this up, but here it goes. Every engine requires backpressure to work. If you want to increase power in the higher RPMs, then you go with an exhaust system that has the best flow. Cars built to race benefit from this the most, because 90% of the time, they are always running near the top of their powerband. Close ratio transmissions will also keep them at no less than near the redline.

With cars that aren't initially designed for the sole purpose of racing, having the most torque near the redline isn't the best way to go. Those adjustable/tunable exhaust systems that are out there that come with something that helps restrict that flow. They are usually discs that can be added to restrict the exhaust flow, this helps increase the backpressure and more backpressure = more torque available @ lower RPMs.

Simply put: more flow = torque at high RPMs, less flow = more torque in the mid range or low RPMs

I don't mean to be rude but you do not need any back presure what you need is exhaust velocity. Imagine if you were to plot them both on a graph you want the poing where exhaust velocity is highest and backpresure is lowest. If your piping it too big then you will loose exhaust velocity and the gasses will return to the engine at low RPMs that is why you loose low end torque.

For more info on back presure look in the FAQ.

Origonally posted by 1988starter Yea we share a computer.

2Fast_Fiero
09-04-2002, 11:57 AM
Jims, I wasn't being a problem, I was just asking you to explain it because you know this shit, probably better then anyone else on this board, so I figured you or Yasu could explain it so that I would understand it and not get confused. But thats enough reason for me to stop posting.

DarknessRS
09-04-2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by startersgirl

I don't mean to be rude but you do not need any back presure what you need is exhaust velocity. Imagine if you were to plot them both on a graph you want the poing where exhaust velocity is highest and backpresure is lowest. If your piping it too big then you will loose exhaust velocity and the gasses will return to the engine at low RPMs that is why you loose low end torque.

For more info on back presure look in the FAQ.

Origonally posted by 1988starter Yea we share a computer.

Ah, thanks for the info. I was led to believe by a friend that it was backpressure that helped low end torque. I'm also guessing he meant exaust velocity when he said 'flow'.

Jims 86LXI HB
09-05-2002, 10:32 PM
Jims, I wasn't being a problem, I was just asking you to explain it because you know this shit, probably better then anyone else on this board, so I figured you or Yasu could explain it so that I would understand it and not get confused. But thats enough reason for me to stop posting.

explain the muffler situation then Jims, since I know your all mighty about this shit,

Then you would have choosen different wording than the above.
I think it was pretty clear what you ment by your wording. But since you are trying to put a different spin on things, I will remain a helpfull person as best I can.

2Fast_Fiero
09-05-2002, 10:53 PM
No, I didn't mean anything bad, I know your one of the smartest guys on this board about these cars and most cars for all that, Thats why I was asking you, cause I know you've made things perfectly clear for me and I've learned alot from you.

87AccordsterLx
09-06-2002, 07:59 AM
well.... anyways... lol... back to the topic of this thread.... I had a 5zigen straight through exhaust system not too long ago... The benifiets of it were that on the high end... you had more power and the car wouldnt slow down as fas as it does now... with my dynomax super turbo... The negitive gains were that it was very loud... I did lose my low end power... But with the turbo I still have some sound... I got my low end back... it looks much better then that huge @$$ 3 1/2 in tip that I use to have... just run your piping 2 1/4 from the cat back... put on a dynomax super turbo muffler and a nice 2 - 2 1/2 stainless steal tip on there and your good to go.... I'll have pics in a day or so...

theBeline
09-06-2002, 08:14 AM
does any one know how to get rid of the cat? In Maine if you car is as old as mine it doesn't have to pas emisions and I can find any place that sells a non-cat system. I figure just by a nice set up then pull the cat and weld in some spare pipe, but is there a place that sels them already made?

theBeline
09-06-2002, 08:20 AM
Sooo, let me figure this our, a extreemly highflo exhaust (grr) would be best for a B16A then, right. Because all the power is around 8000? Or would I want a small pipe? What if I had a semi good flow header mounted to a highflow system, would that be the best of both worlds? I don't know, I'm a bit new to the exhaust thing.

1989se-i
09-06-2002, 10:53 AM
So... The Dynomax will give me more power on the high end...?

87pimpsterdocious
09-06-2002, 11:40 AM
I think what's being said is that the Dynomax will give you a more even power band (while not taking away low end), and while also being the cheapest, it has performed extremely well in tests (somebody said it came in third in a magazine test).

Jims 86LXI HB
09-06-2002, 12:01 PM
No, I didn't mean anything bad, I know your one of the smartest guys on this board about these cars and most cars for all that, Thats why I was asking you, cause I know you've made things perfectly clear for me and I've learned alot from you.

Ok, am cool with that:smokin: But pleeeeeese don't go painting me as one of the smartest guys here, I think we have plenty of smart people. :werd:

dXsquared
09-06-2002, 12:02 PM
well ill tell u what i dont have... a cat or resonator... i just have a pace setter and a cherry bomb. i got custom bent pipe and then a cherry bomb. then i sold my loud assed car... oh well...
Travis

2Fast_Fiero
09-06-2002, 04:10 PM
Well yea, I know that, but your one of them. I think there are too many to name, but Your one that I trust.

Defiant[YD]
09-08-2002, 02:36 PM
i dunno, i'd personally go for the 5zigen Fireball. pretty damn loud. even with the silencer on! :D