PDA

View Full Version : What head is this??

offthahook
12-10-2006, 12:30 PM
I bought a 1984 Accord LX 3 door for parts a few months ago. $50 and it's intact, rust free, and runs. Dude told me he thought it was a head gasket and stuff. I really am not worried about it running; I bought it for parts only. In the cargo area there was a head with the following cast numbers:

HF-9 PD2A

It has 4 valves per cylinder. Now, I forget what my other ES2 head looked like, but does the smaller auxillary valve "count" when Honda says "12 valve"? My 84 is in storage and I'm just confused (even though I shouldn't be). It's just like I can't recall WTF the ES2 head looks like. Can someone tell me what head I have from those cast numbers? Thanks.

2ndGenGuy
12-10-2006, 09:36 PM
I don't know from the numbers, but the ES2 head will look lke a 16 Valve head. The difference is that there will be no spark plug hole going into the main combustion chamber, and the auxillary valve will have little holes in it. If it doesn't have those, it's probably not a CVCC head.

Yeah so when honda says "12 Valve" they don't count the aux valve. Only the intake and exhaust valves.

offthahook
12-11-2006, 05:31 PM
I think it is an ES2 head. I just had a brain lapse like you wouldn't believe. There are only 12 holes in the combustion chamber, so the extra 4 "little" valves are the auxillary intake valves. Man, glad I figured that one out. Thanks man!