PDA

View Full Version : Ignition issues

NOAHS88accord
12-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Okay heres where I am at now. I just bought a 1988 LXI that is in awesome shape except that the previous owner installed a toggle switch to start the car instead of the key. He said the ignition part of the key went out, and he wired in the toggle switch. To start the car I put the key in, turn it twice, then push the toggle switch and it starts up. Without the key in the toggle switch when pushed turns the engine over but doesnt start it unless the key is in. My problem is I want to install a remote start, but have no idea how to do this with the toggle switch instead of the regular key switch. I have everything hooked up except the crank wire, but am not sure what to hook the crank wire up to. I tried each side of the toggle switch, and all it does is make the relay in the remote start click. Anybody have any ideas on how to get this to work, and any idea on how much a new ignition switch would cost? I don't mind the toggle switch, I just want to get the remote start working.

SORRY ABOUT THE LONG POST.

NOAHS88accord
12-10-2006, 10:14 PM
Help me out everybody, I need to know how to wire this so the remote start will crank the engine, or where to get a new ignition switch.

MessyHonda
12-10-2006, 10:34 PM
well replace wut ever the dude by passed with a junkyard part and get a key made for it.

NOAHS88accord
12-10-2006, 10:56 PM
okay the junkyards up here don't have any Accords, so if anybody can send me an ignition switch and key, I will pay whatever they are asking.

MessyHonda
12-10-2006, 11:17 PM
okay the junkyards up here don't have any Accords, so if anybody can send me an ignition switch and key, I will pay whatever they are asking.

check ebay...they have them...some even come with keys.

EricW
12-11-2006, 11:30 AM
You don't need the lock cylinder you just need the switch off of the back of it. It is held on by two screws/bolts. I just replaced mine with a new one i got on ebay for >$10.

Its not that bad replacing the switch the two screws are a bit of a pain to get off with the steering colum still up but it can be done. I had to use a short screwdriver on one and a 90 degree screwdriver on the other.

NOAHS88accord
12-11-2006, 12:51 PM
You don't need the lock cylinder you just need the switch off of the back of it. It is held on by two screws/bolts. I just replaced mine with a new one i got on ebay for >$10.
Its not that bad replacing the switch the two screws are a bit of a pain to get off with the steering colum still up but it can be done. I had to use a short screwdriver on one and a 90 degree screwdriver on the other.

so what exactly am I searching for on ebay then? Can you tell me what to type into the search bar or send me some pictures, so I know what to look for? I can't really start ripping the car apart yet, because I still need to drive everyday.

MessyHonda
12-11-2006, 03:18 PM
so what exactly am I searching for on ebay then? Can you tell me what to type into the search bar or send me some pictures, so I know what to look for? I can't really start ripping the car apart yet, because I still need to drive everyday.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Accord-ignition-switch-with-two-keys-from-1989_W0QQitemZ200055633099QQihZ010QQcategoryZ46101 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

POS carb
12-11-2006, 03:32 PM
sounds like the toggle switch is cutting power to the ignition (usually the coil), ecm, or fuel system (the pump or relay)

#1 you should always make sure all of the fuses are good.
#2 Check for constant power at the ignition switch white wire and the white/black-stripe

If those fail you have a blown fuse or a broken wire, the ignition switch could still be good.
You should find out to what wires that toggle switch is connected, let me know what colors and their location in the dashboard.

NOAHS88accord
12-11-2006, 03:51 PM
sounds like the toggle switch is cutting power to the ignition (usually the coil), ecm, or fuel system (the pump or relay)
#1 you should always make sure all of the fuses are good.
#2 Check for constant power at the ignition switch white wire and the white/black-stripe
If those fail you have a blown fuse or a broken wire, the ignition switch could still be good.
You should find out to what wires that toggle switch is connected, let me know what colors and their location in the dashboard.
give me a few days and i will figure out what they are hooked too. the white and white with black stripe are still constant power (hooked keyless entry to white one for constant), so again, give me a few days, and I will look and see what the toggle switch goes too.

One thing I noticed, is that if I take the wires that are on the toggle switch, and put them together, the car cranks non stop until I release them. The toggle switch is setup so that one side of the wire is on top, then the middle connector of the toggle switch has the other end of the wire, but it only works if you push the toggle switch away from the wires. This probably makes no sense, so I will take pictures tomorrow, but does anybody understand why it is working this way???????

EricW
12-11-2006, 04:05 PM
http://i4.ebayimg.com/01/i/08/e3/e0/c8_1.JPG

POS carb
12-11-2006, 04:19 PM
the white and white with black stripe are still constant power ...

One thing I noticed, is that if I take the wires that are on the toggle switch, and put them together, the car cranks non stop until I release them...

The toggle switch is setup so that one side of the wire is on top, then the middle connector of the toggle switch has the other end of the wire, but it only works if you push the toggle switch away from the wires. This probably makes no sense, so I will take pictures tomorrow, but does anybody understand why it is working this way???????

1 - ok, this means the power is getting to the ignition switch correctly, so the problem is either in the ignition cylinder , the wires, or the fuse box.

2 this is good info, i will check my diagram tonight

3 the switch usually has 3 prongs, the middle prong is usually the common point, the ends are connected to the middle prong when the switch is thrown. The switch rocks on a pivot point above the contacts so it is like a see saw. if you push the button up, the electrical contact on the other side rocks down and vice versa

NOAHS88accord
12-11-2006, 05:25 PM
without looking at it (its dark outside and cold) I am betting that the ignition switch (cylinder whatever it is called) is bad and constantly cranks, so to fix it, he cut the ignition switch in half, and put a switch there that way it only cranks when the switch is pushed, but then why wouldn't it crank when I hook the start wire from remote start to the ends on the toggle switch? Again the toggle switch doesn't bother me, as long as I can get it to crank when I press the button on the remote start.