PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic

1989se-i
09-03-2002, 11:07 AM
I noticed alot of people on this board use synthetic oil..... Why?

:rice:

mike_fx_u
09-03-2002, 01:04 PM
Synthetic oils are simply better

here is some information from mobil1 website below.

Ive used synthetic in my 87 grandprix and it made a difference u can feel. I mean this car is really running like shit(driving until done with engine swap). It made a rather noticable difference. I don't know if you will get a noticable difference in a car running in good condition but if you have the money go for the best. After i break in my new engine i will run full sythetics only. Yes it is expensive but if you can find it in a 5qt. bottle it is somewhat cheaper. Check walmart ours has a 5qt. mobil1 for $17. hope this helps.

Why Synthetics Are Better

First of all, the performance of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ is more robust, especially in terms of low-temperature pumping and flow. High-temperature stability and protection against deposits are also superior. These attributes translate directly into less engine wear and longer engine life.

Historically, conventional oils lack the performance of synthetic oils in the areas of low-temperature performance and high-temperature oxidation stability. Conventional oils also contain much greater amounts of impurities, such as sulphur, reactive and unstable hydrocarbons, and other undesirable contaminants that cannot be completely removed by conventional refining of crude oils.

Synthetic motor oils are designed to perform even under severe conditions, such as very cold starting temperatures, extreme high-temperature operations and high-load conditions.

Mobil 1® with SuperSyn™ provides significant advantages over conventional motor oils, including:

Superior protection under heavy engine loads/stresses, such as hauling and towing.
Minimizing oil degradation.
Faster lubrication at start-up in low temperatures.
Superior protection at high temperatures.
Superior resistance to thermal breakdown.
Greater resistance to oil oxidation (thickening).

88WhiteLX-i
09-03-2002, 08:54 PM
I use Valvoline Syntec and Iam a happy customer. When I drove my car in the winter time, being 20 degrees below zero outside, windchill of about 50 degrees below zero the engine turned right over. My engine runs much smoother with synthetic compared to regular oil, because when I first bought my car I tried cheap shit, but the car ran like shit. After I put the syntec in it acts much better. I've had my car up over 100+ miles an hour on multiple occassions for sustained periods of time and my engine never got hot at all. I had it up to 110 mph the other day and the oil protected the engine, the temp gauge never came off the middle. It's amazing.

smufguy
09-04-2002, 08:16 AM
i am gonna get Mobil syn pretty soon. they are cheap too. also, once in a while, get a oil flush can, like a flushing thingie for the oil system. its used after u drain the oil>close the drain plug>pour the oil flush thingie as u would do a normal oil> idle for 5 mts>drain it>add new oil. U will be amazed how the engine looks inside after that. The dark burnt oil residue will be all gone. We did that on my friend's gf's camaro. it was spanking new inside. the oil flush thingie ( i will get the name of it real soon) has bleach of some sort which does not harm the seals or bearings, but takes off the oil deposits.

CARBurn
09-22-2002, 07:15 PM
I have use Synthetic Pennzoil and have definitely noticed a difference in how the car performs. It runs smoother especially at high speeds.

ACCORD EX
09-23-2002, 12:01 AM
i have used refular all my life ! but last oil change i decided to use mobil 1 and man it feels good ! 9000 km and the oil is as new !

MIKE

Vanilla Sky
09-23-2002, 08:22 AM
we used it in my mom's 626... it's killer... i'll never use dino oil again... just so much smoother... a good deal quieter... it's worth the $17 for 5 quarts of the mobil 1...

Derick

AZmike
09-23-2002, 08:29 AM
Did anyone notice any new leaks after switching to synthetic? I hear it's a common problem. I already have a slow rear main seal leak and I don't want to make it worse.

ACCORD EX
09-23-2002, 09:08 AM
i had leaks before and after ! and i can 't say it became worse !
just be sure to drain all the oil ( not suck ) when you change the type of oil !

MIKE

DBMaster
09-23-2002, 09:28 AM
If you have leaks synthetic will still leak, but it will not make the leaks worse.

I run mine for 10,000 miles between oil changes and have for years. I have used synthetic since the car was new and at least the top end of the engine is super clean. It doesn't even start to look dark until it has 7-8K miles on it. I do not go with cheap filters, though.

anchovies
09-23-2002, 12:47 PM
I've changed to synthetic last year but the oil pan leak got worst than before.

Now I've got a new oil pan gasket, I'm back to synthetic. It's like chocolate and shit.

DBMaster
09-23-2002, 01:15 PM
Well, I have it on good authority that if your leaks are being partly plugged by gunk you might make them worse because the synthetic oil will clean out the gunk. If you are burning any oil you should see a decline because synthetics have a greater film strength and higher flash point than conventional oil.

GreenMachine
09-23-2002, 02:38 PM
Ya i'll be switchin to synthetic after I flush anything in the engine out with the regular stuff, then after about 500km i'm switchin. Never used fully synthetic, can't wait to see if i can notice a diff.

Grant2k
09-23-2002, 07:31 PM
i would like to switch, but what is the best way to get out as much of the old oil as possible. i figured to just let it drain for a long time.

DBMaster
09-23-2002, 07:59 PM
Don't worry about it. The two mix just fine. Even the synthetic blends are a step up. Basically you get no oil breakdown. You can run it as long as you can keep it clean.

dosh8er
09-26-2002, 06:34 PM
From a technical aspect, the molecules of synthetic oil are much SMALLER than those of conventional oils, therefore, if you do have a leak, you're still gonna have a leak. It MAY get slightly worse, (probably nothing you'd see w/ your naked eye) but, you would notice the leak since you gotta dump a little bit in every so often cause you have a leak. Get it fixed, don't worry bout the leak, and stop wasting the expensive oil...
that's all there is to it.