PDA

View Full Version : want to build up my car

cavalierboy02
12-12-2006, 10:12 PM
ok im pickin up a 89 accord and im lookin at slapin a turbo on it.

how much boost can these motors hold and what kind of injectors do you all run

im looking for speed and i want to go cheep the turbo kit is going to be a junck yard kit i got a turbo off a ford tbird that ill be useing and im going to go cheep seen its just a toy to play with and im only dropin 300 on the car needs a water pump and body sucks but im not lookin for looks just speed

now im new to honda motors so any info will be great

jeff

MessyHonda
12-12-2006, 10:17 PM
make sure you pick up a fuel injected car...or you will be hating life

:welcome: to the site maing!

Civic Accord Honda
12-12-2006, 10:36 PM
sup dude and welcome to 3geez :thumbup:

ZackieDarko
12-12-2006, 10:54 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/search.php before asking any qusetions :)

gfrg88
12-13-2006, 07:03 AM
look in the FAQ section :welcome:

and another thing, theres fast, cheap, not reliable... and theres fast, not cheap, reliable... not fast, cheap, reliable. ;) choose one.....

cavalierboy02
12-13-2006, 08:17 AM
i dont really car much about the car its just going to be a race car lol i want it to hold up but im not going all out and dropin 5grand on it lol i may when this motor blows i may do a swap but rite now im not to worry about it i have my cavalier i drvie evey day and my nissan im building for looks now i want to go fast i was going to build the cavalier but theres more honda parts out there and cheeper

MessyHonda
12-13-2006, 08:38 AM
we dont have alot of aftermarket but yeah....your turbo will have to be custom...but if you get junkyard parts it might work...just not very reliable.....so yeah like i said make sure the car is a lx-i or and se-i

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-13-2006, 08:42 AM
i dont really car much about the car its just going to be a race car lol i want it to hold up but im not going all out and dropin 5grand on it lol i may when this motor blows i may do a swap but rite now im not to worry about it i have my cavalier i drvie evey day and my nissan im building for looks now i want to go fast i was going to build the cavalier but theres more honda parts out there and cheeper

You are aware of the fact that there is basically no aftermarket support for these cars, right? And your chances of "slapping" a turbo on are low because you'll need to fabricate nearly everything except the turbo itself. These cars can be fast, but just have a look at stories of AccordEpicenter (member) or other turbocharged Accord owners and you'll see that they went above and beyond "slapping" things onto their cars to achieve the results that you seem to be after. As mentioned before, do a search and you are bound to come up with several examples of different turbo setups done in the recent past. Good luck with your 3G :)

SQ is the SQUAD
12-13-2006, 08:43 AM
we have a turbo section, most of our turbo threads are in there. i am not going to be a homo-fag and tell you to search cuz i think it makes me look cool, i am going to give you a few pointers.

go to the turbo section and check out the other ecm options and project odb1 conversion thread. if you want a tunable ecu for your turbo setup you gonna have to dump the vac advanced distributor and convert to odb1. as far as turbo manifolds go noone really makes them. i have enough supplies to make 3 or 4 manifolds but i decided to hold off until spring time to weld them up. so basically your going to have to find someone to make u a custom one. you should also looking into upgrading to a b16 intake/fuel system. the manifold will bolt on if you modify 2 of the lower mounting holes. there is a how to. best bet is to dump ps and ac if you plan on running proper piping. you may also want to ungrade/downgrade to a 92-95 civic radiator with a slim fan seeing there isent much space. there alot more to it though

shepherd79
12-13-2006, 08:58 AM
:lol: there is no such thing as cheap turbo for our cars. the manifold itself will set you down to $300-750 depending if you are making or someone else is making it.
lets not forget downpipe, full exhaust, charge pipes and so on and on.
you can do hack on management that can get you runing to about 10 psi (walking on thin ice).
most people that have turbo in their accords spent a few grand to make it run right.
Our blocks are cast iron and they can hold 25+ psi with no problem with upgraded internals.

ghettogeddy
12-13-2006, 10:01 AM
You are aware of the fact that there is basically no aftermarket support for these cars, right? And your chances of "slapping" a turbo on are low because you'll need to fabricate nearly everything except the turbo itself. These cars can be fast, but just have a look at stories of AccordEpicenter (member) or other turbocharged Accord owners and you'll see that they went above and beyond "slapping" things onto their cars to achieve the results that you seem to be after. As mentioned before, do a search and you are bound to come up with several examples of different turbo setups done in the recent past. Good luck with your 3G :)
im with him ^ if ur looking to slap stuff on u might as well get a civic cause they have like 100X more after market support over of beloved 3geez

HondaBoy
12-13-2006, 11:19 AM
unless you are fabricating all the parts and have the hook up at the junk yards, expect to spend at least $1200 just getting started. but thats not even going to able to run more than 8 lbs i'm sure without blowing the head gasket out.
turbo+not a lot of money= fun for a little while then exploded engine
lol

cavalierboy02
12-13-2006, 12:09 PM
well as far as the manafold i made them befor heres one i had made for my old truck befor i started the 350 swap
and as far as money goes i can get most of the metal i need from school
and i dont mind spending cash on swapin some stuff its just im not going to speend 5 grand on the car i got a guy at the junker that gives me the hook up on eveythang its just i need to know what will work in these cars and what wornt
who sale the obd1 kits are that plug and play and what is needed to make them work
heres a pick of one i did if i can find a pick of it done ill post it
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/s108202/STA70546.jpg

MessyHonda
12-13-2006, 12:28 PM
well as far as the manafold i made them befor heres one i had made for my old truck befor i started the 350 swap
and as far as money goes i can get most of the metal i need from school
and i dont mind spending cash on swapin some stuff its just im not going to speend 5 grand on the car i got a guy at the junker that gives me the hook up on eveythang its just i need to know what will work in these cars and what wornt
who sale the obd1 kits are that plug and play and what is needed to make them work
heres a pick of one i did if i can find a pick of it done ill post it
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/s108202/STA70546.jpg

well if you can build your own manifold you can build the whole turbo it. i was thinking of using a header flange and just weld some pipes together. anyways you will have to look up how to do the obd1 conversion since no one sells a kit...you can ask the members for tips that have already done it.

SQ is the SQUAD
12-13-2006, 12:31 PM
none is selling a kit yet, its all do-it-yourself

86AccordLxi
12-13-2006, 12:47 PM
Jesus, dude. READ! There are NO kits for anything for 3g accords. Pretty much everything, even strut bars, are custom affairs. No manifolds, no management, etc. People have done the obd swap, or you can hook up and run Megasquirt.

The 3g is not a car where you can just slap parts onto. Buy a civic if you want that sort of convenience.

Alex

MessyHonda
12-13-2006, 12:57 PM
hey hey guys.....at least he didnt go out and bought a h22.... some guy at prelude power bought a 2nd gen for 300 bucks then he bought a h22 that he plans to swap in.....everyone laughed cuz he was like were can i get a kit.....the worse part is that his lude is carbed....i laughed hard....

cavalierboy02
12-13-2006, 01:03 PM
run Megasquirt? tthats a new thang to my ear mind fillin me in with some info on it

cavalierboy02
12-13-2006, 01:10 PM
i dont care to do it all its just i dont know who to ask for info so thats why i ended up here i know you all will know what is needed to be done i dont care to do it

ghettogeddy
12-13-2006, 01:38 PM
run Megasquirt? tthats a new thang to my ear mind fillin me in with some info on it
its a ecu upgrade for fuel management

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-13-2006, 03:03 PM
Megasquirt Official Site (http://www.megasquirt.info/)

HTH

gfrg88
12-13-2006, 04:01 PM
also, try looking around homemadeturbo.com for some more ideas.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46162

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46593

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37169

try checking out some of those links ;)

Civic Accord Honda
12-13-2006, 04:23 PM
cool a 3gee race car

snoopyloopy
12-13-2006, 09:22 PM
ok, first of all, you say you want to make the 3g "fast." define this "fast" that you're speaking of. our fastest members here are getting in the 13s in the 1/4 mile. in some circles, you might as well be walking if that's what time you're running. but the main question is really how much money do you want to spend? you say you don't want to drop 5k on it, but what about 4? you need to be more clear on stuff like that. otherwise, you'll get lots of asshole answers telling you to search because your questions are all answered by spending 5-10 minutes in the turbo section of the board.

SQ is the SQUAD
12-16-2006, 08:12 AM
our fastest members here are getting in the 13s in the 1/4 mile.

i think the fastest 3g is actually doing 10's

MessyHonda
12-16-2006, 09:30 AM
i think the fastest 3g is actually doing 10's

the fastest a20 was running 9s...

89_accord
06-29-2007, 12:58 AM
i got a 1989 honda accord but not fuel injected is it worth hooking it up are just swap the motor....?

speedpenguin
06-29-2007, 05:32 AM
If you swap the motor you'll still have to hook up the fuel injection.

Better idea: Swap cams and tune the carbs.

snoopyloopy
06-29-2007, 05:39 AM
i got a 1989 honda accord but not fuel injected is it worth hooking it up are just swap the motor....?
define "worth it." rjudgey will tell you how to make 200+ hp w/ your carb motor and a carbed a20a1 making 320 was sold on ebay a couple months ago. that's more than the boosted a20a3 are making. so it's all up to you (and more importantly, your wallet).

A18A
06-29-2007, 06:46 AM
*sigh*

Kevii
06-29-2007, 08:40 AM
define "worth it." rjudgey will tell you how to make 200+ hp w/ your carb motor and a carbed a20a1 making 320 was sold on ebay a couple months ago. that's more than the boosted a20a3 are making. so it's all up to you (and more importantly, your wallet).

Wow what ebay thread was that

'A20A3'
06-29-2007, 08:44 AM
...a carbed a20a1 making 320 was sold on ebay a couple months ago...

sounds like :bs:

skycam_313
06-29-2007, 09:40 AM
sounds like :bs:

hell no...

this is the old link...

320 hp a20 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-Honda-Civic-SCCA-Race-Car-Drag-Autocross-Fast_W0QQitemZ250074662919QQihZ015QQcategoryZ6256Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

'A20A3'
06-29-2007, 10:15 AM
i see no dyno sheets, timeslips, or even pictures.

it has individual carbs for each cylinder, pretty cool.

it says the car weighs barely 1500 pounds...no wonder it's fast...

i still don't believe those numbers i'm gonna need more proof than that.

without a dyno sheet no one really knows what kind of power it produces.

guaynabo89
06-29-2007, 01:26 PM
this was in the for sale section.

no way a carbed a20 was making that much not even if it was running a 12:1 comp ratio.

the dude in the auction had stated he thouhgt or was told it made that much hp.

Horsepower is not easily had and people have no sense as far as how much hp they think they are making. 80% of the people here are probably only putting down like 55-85 whp and think they are making 120 :rolleyes:

AccordEpicenter
06-30-2007, 03:21 PM
i believe its quite realistic to make as stock bottom end 3g run 12s. My car on the old setup was an easy 12 sec car. Either way its not gonna be a real slap together type of deal, especially if you want it to last

89_accord
07-01-2007, 10:54 PM
so what should i do keep it are sell swap what...its 4door n automatic.....i really like the body but i want the h/b fuel injected 5speed but i cant find any....

MessyHonda
07-02-2007, 12:12 PM
this was in the for sale section.
no way a carbed a20 was making that much not even if it was running a 12:1 comp ratio.
the dude in the auction had stated he thouhgt or was told it made that much hp.
Horsepower is not easily had and people have no sense as far as how much hp they think they are making. 80% of the people here are probably only putting down like 55-85 whp and think they are making 120 :rolleyes:

yeah carbed cars only make like 75-85 whp.

che3wy
07-02-2007, 12:39 PM
hey hey hey dont be jealous that my car is hotter than yours messy.

yeah find a fuel injected as i can contest that carbs dont make as much hp plus trying to warm it up in the morning can be a pain. any kind of engine swap is still gonna be difficult. the "easiest" without an custom fab is the jdm b20a accord engine. but finding a 5 speed tranny is hard

MessyHonda
07-02-2007, 12:41 PM

yeah find a fuel injected as i can contest that carbs dont make as much hp plus trying to warm it up in the morning can be a pain. any kind of engine swap is still gonna be difficult. the "easiest" without an custom fab is the jdm b20a accord engine. but finding a 5 speed tranny is hard

:rly:

che3wy
07-02-2007, 01:40 PM
shush messy dont make me find the m3 come and kick your ass again

MessyHonda
07-02-2007, 02:15 PM
shush messy dont make me find the m3 come and kick your ass again

lol....ok.....now i have to build a m3 killer.

snoopyloopy
07-02-2007, 03:02 PM

well, if you can get your hot little hands on a jdm b18a tranny's bellhousing, you can use your stock a20 tranny w/ the b18a bellhousing. but finding that bellhousing is almost harder than finding a b20a 5-speed tranny.