PDA

View Full Version : How To Lower Car

meohmy01
09-03-2002, 03:07 PM
IS IT POSSIBLE TO LOWER MY 88 ACCORD LX WITHOUT BUYING A SUSPENTION? I PLAN ON PUTTING A SUSPENSION ON SOONER OR LATER BUT RIGHT NOW I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY. BUT MY CAR LOOKS LIKE A MONSTER TRUCK WITH 17'S AND A STOCK SUSPENTION

CivicEater
09-03-2002, 03:09 PM
you mean heating/cutting the springs?

not a smart idea.. jus carry around some fat-assed people LOL..

springs would be the way to go man..

Jims 86LXI HB
09-03-2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by meohmy01
IS IT POSSIBLE TO LOWER MY 88 ACCORD LX WITHOUT BUYING A SUSPENTION? I PLAN ON PUTTING A SUSPENSION ON SOONER OR LATER BUT RIGHT NOW I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY. BUT MY CAR LOOKS LIKE A MONSTER TRUCK WITH 17'S AND A STOCK SUSPENTION

Let me tell ya I know how your feeling. When I first got my car I wanted it lowered sooooo bad, but I didn't have the money to do it. But after doing some research I found out if I was going to do it right it was going to cost some money. Cutting springs isn't a good idea. But if you absolutely have to do it and can't wait to do it the right way, use the search feature on this board

Now,....why should you do it the "right" way and what does that mean. All lowering springs are stiffer, and I mean ALL. A stiffer spring needs a strut that is likewise stiffer to control it. The reason you hear people complaining about bounce or the car ridding like crap is because they aren't running struts that have what it takes for duty with stiffer springs. The struts makers complicate things my not offering much for stiffer springs. You can pretty much pick the spring that offers the drop you want, from a brand you trust. But which strut to get is not so easy. For the front Koni specials are the way to go, not because they cost $216 for the pair, but because they WORK! In the rear you can save a few bucks and run tokico H.P. struts, or if you'd rather, run Koni's in the rear. If, because of this post, you have more questions, please ask. That is why I am here, to help.:smokin:

Grant2k
09-04-2002, 06:41 AM
i totally agree. do it right. i know i skimped a little going tokicos in the front and KYBs in the rear, but i don't have any bounce(yet). i just hope i don't pay for it later. do it right. you'll save yourself time and money. but especially money.

Mike89Accordcom
09-04-2002, 03:41 PM
I have a couple friends who didnt want to buy suspension what wanted to lower there car, and so they cut the springs, ouch. Not good at all. Your car will bounce like a basketball. Just wait, or get springs.

meohmy01
09-04-2002, 04:31 PM
i plan on geting springs in a couple of months. i don't really care about ride i don't drive far and im the only one ever in my car. i would like to cut the springs to lower my car 2-2.25". just untill the dough starts to roll in. can someone who has done this or knows how to do this tell me how. from what all of you are saying im sure i will regret it but that will just make me want to work harder at getting springs. thanks

Grant2k
09-05-2002, 05:56 AM
that's ok if you are just doing it for looks, but the true purpose of lowering a car is for performance, and that is gonna be terrible for that.

pearldrop
09-05-2002, 08:20 AM
You can lower a car by cutting the stock springs and have it ride decent. The fact that you have to ask how to do it means that you don't have the experience to do it right. It takes practice to learn just how much to cut without going too far. Just wait and save your money to buy some Sprint springs for $100. There are just too many people out there who cut the springs in half and end up on bumpstops that have given cut springs such a bad name. That was the only option for many, many years. It wasn't until recently that there were so many springs available. There weren't even camber kits available for 3rd gens until a few years ago.

meohmy01
09-05-2002, 11:42 AM
no one can just tell me how to do or point me in a direction where there are instructions or something. if it sounds to difficult im not going to do it.

Neuspeed87lx
09-05-2002, 06:32 PM
if you plan on getting the right stuff soon i would just cut them ...

Jims 86LXI HB
09-05-2002, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by meohmy01
no one can just tell me how to do or point me in a direction where there are instructions or something. if it sounds to difficult im not going to do it.

Go up to the top of the page and look for where it say's the word, "search" click on it and type in cutting springs. Read all the post's. I think it's important for you to read them, so you can learn what not to do as well as what did work for others. No matter what don't heat them or let them get hot when you cut them.