PDA

View Full Version : Funny Smells and noises!

stat1K
12-15-2006, 10:45 AM
K i got a few of em.

1. Gas smell probably due to my leaky injector and slipping clutch... since it revs high and is leaking more gas fume. sounds plausable to me.

2. Oil? Valve cover gasket is newer but the car has overheated recently. not like boiling but like about 3/4ths the way up the dial.

3. Exhausty smell? smells kind of like exhaust but a little bit mustier. car currently sometimes overheats i've heard a million different things that could be causing it. one person said leaking intake manifold can cause overheating? never heard that before... but hte problem i keep coming back to is the headgasket. the car doesn't burn anything other than a bit of oil but it doesn't smoke or hesitate. it still runs perfect.

Noises:

1. Pin wheel spinny noise. not sure but comes from dash. think it's the speedo cable.

2. Small tapping from valve area i think it's probably time for a valve job.

3. Squeeky noise from upper part of engine near the manifold while the car is cold. thought at first it was the power steering but it's not super loud and i can hear it from the top of the block not near the power steering pump so i'm lost on this one too.

I'm just looking for someone to help me out with these as i don't exactly know what they are on all of them... let me know guys. thanks in advance.

stat1K
12-16-2006, 09:44 PM
bump for some help. where's a20a1 when you need him? lol. thanks in advance again guys.

forrest89sei
12-16-2006, 09:58 PM
I'd check your major gaskets: Head, Exhaust Mani, maybe oil pan just give the motor a good once over.

When it goes to the exhaust smell: inspect the full exhaust system. Does the exhaust sound louder then normal?

teck
12-16-2006, 10:00 PM
my car alos taps in the same area but only when its warming up after that its not too bad sounds like its coing off the mani : \

stat1K
12-16-2006, 10:02 PM
I'd check your major gaskets: Head, Exhaust Mani, maybe oil pan just give the motor a good once over.
When it goes to the exhaust smell: inspect the full exhaust system. Does the exhaust sound louder then normal?

the exhaust is a tad louder and my muffler is pretty rotted. i need to get my welder soon so i can just fab up a quick exhaust.

but the exhaust seems to be coming from the engine bay... you think maybe my manifold / gasket is leaking?

forrest89sei
12-16-2006, 10:19 PM
the exhaust is a tad louder and my muffler is pretty rotted. i need to get my welder soon so i can just fab up a quick exhaust.
but the exhaust seems to be coming from the engine bay... you think maybe my manifold / gasket is leaking?

Good chance! that or your Exhaust mani to Flex pipe gasket.

you can always pick up some seafoam (it's a great leak detector)

MessyHonda
12-17-2006, 12:14 AM
Good chance! that or your Exhaust mani to Flex pipe gasket.
you can always pick up some seafoam (it's a great leak detector)

lol seafoam will make your car louder..lol

forrest89sei
12-17-2006, 12:23 AM
lol seafoam will make your car louder..lol!

yeah but you will see the smoke exiting any leaks!

Might be 3 $2 gaskets and your set

MessyHonda
12-17-2006, 12:35 AM
!
yeah but you will see the smoke exiting any leaks!
Might be 3 $2 gaskets and your set

for me it was a BIG ASS cloud of smoke...i could not even see my car after i ran it.....lol my neighbour came running to me to see if the car was on fire...i just laughed told her i was adding some cleaning fluid..lol

forrest89sei
12-17-2006, 09:52 AM
for me it was a BIG ASS cloud of smoke...i could not even see my car after i ran it.....lol my neighbour came running to me to see if the car was on fire...i just laughed told her i was adding some cleaning fluid..lol

LOL

stat1K
12-23-2006, 07:44 AM
rofl ill do that

NoGeezsGap
12-30-2006, 06:58 AM
I've had that pin wheel spinning noise for about 3mos now and I can't nail it down. Does it make that noise only when your driving? That's what mine does(89 Lxi). Sound like it comming from center dash but I can't be sure.

LXi87Accord
12-30-2006, 12:51 PM
The spinning noise could be the speedometer cable. Mine did that till the cable broke.

Then I replaced it and the noise was gone. But then the gauge itself broke now the needle acts like a propeller when I drive.

2oodoor
12-30-2006, 05:18 PM
I've had that pin wheel spinning noise for about 3mos now and I can't nail it down. Does it make that noise only when your driving? That's what mine does(89 Lxi). Sound like it comming from center dash but I can't be sure.
sometimes all you need to do is unhook the speedo cable from speedo and puts a dab of grease on it.
something else it could be is leaves inside the fan housing.

NoGeezsGap
12-31-2006, 11:27 AM
I've had the speedo cable completely out, so it's not that.
jim