PDA

View Full Version : power steering rack removal tips

lostforawhile
12-16-2006, 09:51 PM
finally going to swap out this stupid steering rack,it's been sitting in the house forever,hundred fifty dollar core coming back too. any tips or problems anyone has run into,let me know. got the basic procedure down just looking for any tricks. I would like to leave it on ramps so the wheels don't move much,but then I can't get the tie rod ends loose. I thought of backing it off the ramps,breaking the ends loose then just setting the tie rod ends back in to drive it up the ramps. not too much danger driving 1 mile an hour for a few feet. I put it on ramps the other day to measure brackets and the bottom of my car looked like a power steering fluid explosion. I thought it was bad when the pump was leaking. on top of that my brand new cv joint split a boot and the tranny is leaking everywhere. thats another project though. right now it's going to sit on those ramps until after christmas.

BITESIZE
12-16-2006, 11:32 PM
You will need someone to hold the rack in place underneath the car while you put the bolt through the steering wheel column. Make sure your steering wheel is where you want it to be before you tighten that bolt to the rack. I've done the swap before and it's fucking messy and makes you tired if you do it by yourself. It's def. a two person job.

MessyHonda
12-17-2006, 12:42 AM
^^^some one say messy?...lol huh never had a prob with mine...good luck Tim...i say get a 6 pack for a buddy so he can help you...4 hands is better than 2

michigan_accord
01-19-2007, 02:46 PM
lostforawhile, how did the job go?

I'm in the middle of removing the rack on my girlfriend's, and I just can't seem to get the shift linkage unbolted. What did people use to remove that? I can't fit a ratchet in, and was thinking of a box wrench on a breaker bar.

lostforawhile
01-19-2007, 04:27 PM
I'm in the middle of removing the rack on my girlfriend's, and I just can't seem to get the shift linkage unbolted. What did people use to remove that? I can't fit a ratchet in, and was thinking of a box wrench on a breaker bar.
I still haven't been able to get around to putting it in. just bad luck is all. now the civic is tore up and until i get it fixed I have to drive this one everyday.

BITESIZE
01-20-2007, 12:04 AM

I don't remember that being a bitch to do so you are :Owned: