PDA

View Full Version : non stop blinkers

johndej
12-18-2006, 10:14 AM
alright, i had my flashers on for a bit one night and came back to turn them off and nothing happened when i flipped the switch. To get them out i finnaly popped the hood and yanked the fuse. problem with this though is that now i don't have any turn signels. i've been to the junkyard and looked at the switch to replace it but that would mean taking my steeringwheel off and pulling the whole column appart to get to everything (a major pain in the ass). I've considered just cutting the wires to it and putting in a new switch since the other is stuck "on". i was wondering if anyone knew another way of fixing this. thanks alot.

2ndGenGuy
12-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Dude pulling the wheel on these cars is easy. A 19mm socket is all you need, then 6 screws on the bottom of the column cover. Pop off the two plastic panels, unscrew the switch cluster and disconnect the wiring harness from it. 20 minutes tops. Easier than trying to rig up something new.

johndej
12-18-2006, 10:28 AM
yeah, i tore down one in the junkyard and got all the way to the switch but it seemed like getting the turnsignel arm back in and the wiper arm back on would be a little tough and i don't wanna mess up anything else.

2ndGenGuy
12-18-2006, 10:31 AM
yeah, i tore down one in the junkyard and got all the way to the switch but it seemed like getting the turnsignel arm back in and the wiper arm back on would be a little tough and i don't wanna mess up anything else.

Your best bet is to take the entire switchgear off the column. It's only two bolts, the wires run kinda deep into the dash, but aren't too big of a problem. I took apart the switchgear once, and its definitely a pain to replace parts in it. I lost the auto-canceling feature because I didn't put it back correctly. After I found out that the whole thing comes off as one piece, I about smacked myself. I think its only a couple screws and then it slides right off the column. Much easier than you think.

MessyHonda
12-18-2006, 10:45 AM
yeha it just takes time to take it out....and the junkyard ones are good practice so you dont mess up nothing of your own.

g.frost
12-18-2006, 03:29 PM
My turn signal/ emergency lights were all screwed up a couple years ago like that. Turn on the emergency lights then the turn signal switch would turn
both on, or none. Finally my 4 yr old daughter got in there playing and nothing worked... Ready to replace the whole unit but first I got some spray
contact cleaner and spayed in around the emergency and turn signal switches. Worked them a bit and more spray. Well that was 2 years ago and they are still working fine today..... it's worth a try anyway for $2 spray can
of contact cleaner.