PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Radiator

azazel_18_2
12-18-2006, 11:21 AM
I have been looking everywhere for an aluminum radiator but can not find one. I am tired of stupid plastic end tanks. I like the look of the aluminum one I put in my 98 civic and would like to put an aluminum one in my accord. NO I do not want to swap in a 92-95 Civic aluminum radiator. To much riggin is needed to get it to work. All I have been able to find are all metal radiators that are painted black. Anybody know of any place thats sells aluminum radiators for our cars or am I just out of luck?

MessyHonda
12-18-2006, 12:40 PM
what is wrong with the plastic end tanks...my koyo is like that...and it has lifetime warranty

russiankid
12-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Just don't over tighten any of the hose clamps. Im sure the plastic radiators are much cheaper to repair than an aluminum one, but i could be wrong. I tryed searching for you, but i cannot find any aluminum radiators.

shepherd79
12-18-2006, 01:01 PM
plastic radiators are nothing but aluminum wraped around in plastic casing to hold in place. the only bad thing about plastic is they have tendency to crack a lot.

unfrotunatly no one makes true alluminum radiators for our cars.
have you tried diff year accord radiators. may be 5th gen accord (94+ )
they look very simular.

88LXi68
12-18-2006, 01:21 PM
get a radiator from an 90-93 integra - they are pretty similar in size.

lostforawhile
11-25-2008, 03:47 PM
any updates on this? I would eventually like to find any aluminum one,as I would like to tig weld on aeroquip fittings for braided hose. making brackets is easy,as long as it fits and i can cram in fans.

Oldblueaccord
11-25-2008, 05:21 PM
I have see some frnt drives with all alum but I bet there customs or maybe Griffen. I think someone on here has a half sized civic rad that was all alum wish I could remember who. Maybe johhnys h22 drag car.

wp

labeledsk8r
11-25-2008, 06:54 PM
guanos (sp) setup is nice the dual core integra one.. looked very easy to make it fit

DBMaster
11-26-2008, 12:15 PM
I used to feel that way about radiators with plastic tanks. The original one in my Accord lasted just as long, if not longer, than in the car I had prior and it was all metal. Some may disagree, but I think the plastic tanks are BETTER. They are held to the core with crimped metal with rubber gaskets underneath. This allows a lot more thermal movement of the metal without cracking solder joints or welds. Truth be told you can have a plastic tank radiator repaired at least once if only the tank is leaking and the core is in good shape. I kind of wish I had done that with my original rather than replacing it. The replacement had metal tanks and the bottom solder joints were leaking after only three years. I got a new one for free, but it's not fun having to replace it. The new one (installed five years ago) has plastic tanks. The manufacturer gave up on the metal tanks.

lostforawhile
11-26-2008, 03:24 PM
I used to feel that way about radiators with plastic tanks. The original one in my Accord lasted just as long, if not longer, than in the car I had prior and it was all metal. Some may disagree, but I think the plastic tanks are BETTER. They are held to the core with crimped metal with rubber gaskets underneath. This allows a lot more thermal movement of the metal without cracking solder joints or welds. Truth be told you can have a plastic tank radiator repaired at least once if only the tank is leaking and the core is in good shape. I kind of wish I had done that with my original rather than replacing it. The replacement had metal tanks and the bottom solder joints were leaking after only three years. I got a new one for free, but it's not fun having to replace it. The new one (installed five years ago) has plastic tanks. The manufacturer gave up on the metal tanks.if you have a metal tank,you can pull the radiator and fix it in a few minutes with acid core solder and a propane torch. unless it's aluminum.

DBMaster
11-26-2008, 09:45 PM
My favorite fix is the one you don't have to perform.