PDA

View Full Version : Clutch

Beanshonda55
12-18-2006, 07:34 PM
well i just swapped my tranny and ive been trying to adjust the clutch but it always engages almost when the clutch pedal is out. i never driven our hondas but is this were its suppose to engage or is something wrong?

Oldblueaccord
12-18-2006, 10:14 PM
It should catch really close to the floor on our cars.

wp

2ndGenGuy
12-18-2006, 10:19 PM
It probably just needs to be adjusted. It is a cable clutch I think.

Beanshonda55
12-19-2006, 05:33 AM
ive been trying to adjust the clutchfrom the little nob in the engine bay but everytime its almost the same. is there any other place to adjust it?

azazel_18_2
12-19-2006, 06:43 AM
If you have it adjusted out all the way get a new cable. Your old one is stretched out. There is no other place to adjust the cable. I think I got a new one at Autozone for like $15

shepherd79
12-19-2006, 09:51 AM
where did you get your clutch from?
some clutches have very weird pressure plate that only engages when the pedal all the way up.

MessyHonda
12-19-2006, 09:56 AM
where did you get your clutch from?
some clutches have very weird pressure plate that only engages when the pedal all the way up.
yeah that wuts wrong with mine. it only catches at like the last 2-3 inches of the pedal....they did the clutch b4 i bought it. at 113k and it just says oem replacement.

2oodoor
12-19-2006, 10:15 AM
yeah that wuts wrong with mine. it only catches at like the last 2-3 inches of the pedal....they did the clutch b4 i bought it. at 113k and it just says oem replacement.
It seems to me like it would not be fully engaged if there is no free play at the top of the pedal. This would make a short lived clutch disc.

MessyHonda
12-19-2006, 10:18 AM
It seems to me like it would not be fully engaged if there is no free play at the top of the pedal. This would make a short lived clutch disc.

yeah i was told that i need some play on my cable...il adjust it when its cold cuz that top radiator hose almost fried my hand off trying to adjust it..lol

Beanshonda55
12-19-2006, 02:57 PM
okay so today i adjusted it all the way out and it helped a little bit, but wat do i do now. i have another clutch cable but its at my farm and how hard would it be to swap cables? thanks for the replies

EX-ileAccord
12-19-2006, 03:06 PM
My clutch does the same thing. It did it with the orignal clutch, and the replacement, although the replacement never worked very well, it doesent grab well at all. I noticed when I changed it that the orginal had cast cylinders on the disk and the replacemant had springs. Anyone else notice that?

MessyHonda
12-19-2006, 03:27 PM
i just went out to try to adjust my cable and the lil fucker wont move...i even tried some pb blaster. i had no free play in the pedal...i will adjust it tomorrow when i can use a lift and proper tools.

Beanshonda55
12-19-2006, 04:17 PM
how are u adjusting your clutch, because all i used was my fingers to twistthe little nob thing or am i doing it wrong?

MessyHonda
12-19-2006, 04:38 PM
how are u adjusting your clutch, because all i used was my fingers to twistthe little nob thing or am i doing it wrong?

yeah that is how you adjust it...mine has some rubber in the botom and it wont spin....il get it when the car is on the lift and i can spin it better.

Beanshonda55
12-19-2006, 07:10 PM
does anbody know wat way i should turn it to make it engage sooner?

cygnus x-1
12-19-2006, 09:50 PM
To move the engagement point farther off the floor you need to tighten (remove slack) from the cable, which means turning the adjuster clockwise. To move the engagement point closer to the floor, turn the adjuster counter-clockwise.

C|

Oldblueaccord
12-20-2006, 07:24 AM
remember you want "freeplay" with the clutch fork pivot and the cable I think its 15mm its in the book. Just to add to the confusion. The cable will have a little slack against the pivot with the clutch all the way out. This lets it stay clamped up. If you dont it wont clamp real hard and will slip.

If you unsure of what is going on adjust it until the clutch slips a little then keep backing it off until you get free play. or adjust it so you can't get into first gear at idle and adjust it up until you can get into 1st and reverse at idle without to much trouble.

I have also had the cable pop out of it hole and not be right for sometime before I caught it.

wp

MessyHonda
12-20-2006, 05:01 PM
alright just finished adjusting it....all i can say is wow...the shifts are smoother and the other all feel of the car is better.....my clutch would slip since it didnt have freplay...now it does....and its all good.

Beanshonda55
12-20-2006, 05:10 PM
sweet job messy. i wish i had better luck, today i adjusted it all the wayout but it only hepled a little bit so em i screwed or wat should i do?

MessyHonda
12-20-2006, 06:08 PM
sweet job messy. i wish i had better luck, today i adjusted it all the wayout but it only hepled a little bit so em i screwed or wat should i do?

yeah maybe you will need to change out the clutch....overall im happy...i was also going to change it but now it grips alot better. if you want my friend can get a clutch for 60 bucks...its an excedy one...and it comes with 12,000 mile warranty.

Beanshonda55
12-20-2006, 07:58 PM
well its a new clutch that was in the car when i bought it so i dont nowat brand but it looked okay and it was brandnew.

MessyHonda
12-20-2006, 08:15 PM
well its a new clutch that was in the car when i bought it so i dont nowat brand but it looked okay and it was brandnew.

alright just keep playing with the cable till you find the best spot...i took my car for a dirve and the results were amazing

cygnus x-1
12-21-2006, 01:41 PM
Beans, it sounds like you cable is binding up or something and you aren't getting full travel. Try disconnecting the cable at the trans and make sure it moves freely. Is it possible it's not long enough? You said you swapped transmisisons right? Seems unlikely but where did the new trans come from?
C|

Beanshonda55
12-21-2006, 02:12 PM
the trans came from my old 87 Lx.