PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Pump

russiankid
12-19-2006, 06:23 PM
I have a leaky power steering pump. Would it be easier and cheaper to get a new one, or get a rebuild kit? How hard is it to rebuild it? Also, do i have to drain the fluid to disconnect the lines?

DBMaster
12-19-2006, 06:41 PM
It's hard to say, but I dropped my car off at my mechanic when I took a trip back in May and one of the things on my list was P/S fluid leaks. The rack had been replaced prior to this and was not leaking. I have always done my own work, but now as a single middle aged guy I do use this mechanic on occasion. They replaced the pump body seals that were leaking and it cost me about $80. I would say that it is worth fixing if the only problem is leaks.

russiankid
12-19-2006, 07:15 PM
The leak is a minor leak but i just want to get it fixed so there isnt any fluid under it anymore.

russiankid
12-19-2006, 07:22 PM
Dp.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-19-2006, 07:50 PM
All pump seals are still available from Honda. All appear to be replaceable as well. Shouldn't be an issue to fix the leak.

87lxiaccord
12-19-2006, 09:28 PM
yeah the rack on my car leaks only once in a while when you turn the wheel all the way at parking lot speeds but no you shouldn't drain the lines just put a ziploc bag over the end and tie it off with a rubber band