PDA

View Full Version : timing

custom
12-19-2006, 08:28 PM
ok, ive been playing with my timming to day trying to get it to its correct fireing order but for some reason it would work. i've top the cam gear to 0 degress and turned the crank one full turn counter clock wise before rplaceing the timming belt. it starts right up 180 off. now theirs a 15 before the T mark should i stop it at the 15 or between the 15 and T?

Oldblueaccord
12-20-2006, 07:17 AM
Year of your car and if its fuel injected and auto/manual and I will try and look it up for you. Some flywheels the mark might be differant.

Usually with a timing light on plug wire #1 you need to be on the white "T" mark with the 2 vacuum lines to your distributor plugged or pinched off and at idle.

wp

shepherd79
12-20-2006, 08:50 AM
all the flywheels were the same except the diff between carb and EFI. carb had 24 deg BTDC and EFi had 15 deg BTDC. auto or 5 speed woun't matter eather.

if oyu are trying to change the belt here is the procedure that can help you.
1. remove the spark plugs. all 4 of them. this way you can turn the engine a lot easier.
2. remove the cam gear plastic protector.
3. turn the engine untill mark T line up with the point. now look at cam gear. where it says TOP or UP should point to the top proportional to the block and head. So tilt your head a little in the way the engine is tilted.
4. when everything line up loosen the tensioner and remove the belt. You should have all the plastic covers removed by now i hope.
5. slide the belt back on the crankshaft timing belt pulley, Keep the belt on the front of the engine tight and slide it around the cam gear, then around the belt tentioner and around the oil pump pulley. make sure you keep the left side of the belt (closer to the exhaust headers) tight. this will keep belt from slipping.
6. put everything back. and make sure your tensioner is tight and enjoy the car.

custom
12-21-2006, 11:10 PM
thanks but, what if i stop it at 15degrees instead of TDC would i be advancing the timming?

Oldblueaccord
12-22-2006, 12:27 AM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56324&page=3

post #50.

When you advance it the idle goes up.

wp

shepherd79
12-22-2006, 05:22 AM
if you put timing at 15 deg you will advance the timing. DON"T DO IT. set timing according to the shop manual. use T mark as referance. If you have too much advance the car will not perform right. plus you may get detonation.

88Accord-DX
12-22-2006, 11:02 PM
With the vacuum lines plugged, The timing light should hit 'T'.
After you established base timing, plug the vacuum lines back & then the timing light should hit the red mark ie; 15* BTDC... (middle of 3 marks)
Turn the distributor for indiscrepencies.