PDA

View Full Version : could only get monroe shocks.

Vector
12-20-2006, 10:20 PM
from what I've been reading, they are not good for lowering, specially since i will be using 2.5" sport line lowering springs with them.

so heres what i thought of:

this should prevent it from bottoming out thus extending life and also provide a little smoother ride since the shock will be more or less in its comfort zone. i will have to use longer bump stops to prevent the car itself from bottoming out. i will be using the car mostly for racing and maybe some drives to and from work, it should last some time.

if anyone has seen under the hood of a 5th or 6th gen accord you will see that the mount point for the shocks comes through the fender when you bolt the mount in, where as ours sit underneath/middle of the mount.

i can gain about 1 to 1.5" by extending the point where the shock so it pokes through the fender in a similar fashion.

what ya guys think?

ps. i could only get monroe's because i have replaced every ball joint, bushing, sway bar linkage, tie-rod end on the car, I'm expecting a somewhat decent ride out of it when I'm done.

MessyHonda
12-20-2006, 10:25 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54771

give thoes a try

Vector
12-20-2006, 10:38 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54771

give those a try

maybe once i get a little more cash i will, right now i was more concerned about other suspension components.

MessyHonda
12-20-2006, 10:41 PM
maybe once i get a little more cash i will, right now i was more concerned about other suspension components.

then dont waste your money on thoes monroe shocks...keep em stock till you have the money to get good ones

86AccordLxi
12-20-2006, 10:51 PM
My monroes blew out in 8 months (actually, probably less) with H&R lowering springs (which are the softest springs and only 1.5" lower). I wouldn't trust them for too long.

Alex

Vector
12-21-2006, 09:56 AM
then dont waste your money on thoes monroe shocks...keep em stock till you have the money to get good ones

well right now, my tok's are in my sei because the car was curbed pretty bad before i bought it. i ended up dropping the whole subframe w/suspension out of the hatch for it. it gave me an opportunity to upgrade my brakes and replace every moving part on the hatch that i could.

the shocks from the hatch already were not to healthy because i raced all year on them with 2.5" neuspeed springs and were starting to get bouncy.

i figure i can extend the life of the shock by extending the mount point through the fender. technically the shock shouldn't know any different, maybe .5", thats it.

the way i look at it, if they only last me a year, thats good enough. trial and error.