PDA

View Full Version : How to supply power to LCD/Playstation/DVD etc.. ?

adAccord89LXi
09-03-2002, 07:26 PM
I am very interested in adding a 5.6" monitor along with a DVD player and a PSone, and possibly having them connected to some sort of A/V master unit.......

Although, since i dont want to fuck up my car, I am probably going to have it all done professionally or simply by someone with more knowledge than I .........

But I was curious as to how all of these things are to be powered???

May sound stupid, but i have been looking around, and i cant find how exactly this is done

So can anyone with any knowledge let me in on how all of these appliances are to be powered in my LXi ?

netfreak
09-03-2002, 07:34 PM
Power inverter and a powerbar for convenience. I got a 175W inverter for my car for $40 cdn. For your usage you might get away with using a 175W but you may need higher.

netfreak
09-03-2002, 07:35 PM
BTW an inverter is a small box that plugs into the lighter socket and gives you the standard 3 prong household plug.

86hatchbackLXi
09-03-2002, 08:48 PM
first, i dont think you should do this if you dont feel comfortable with wiring things into your cd, second the lcd doesnt need to run off the inverter and it draws very low current,and why dont you get a PS2? it plays dvd and ps games. i have done the same thing in my car so if it something you want to do i can help you further.

marc49
09-03-2002, 09:09 PM
shit talk to nate, he has already done this to his car :)

adAccord89LXi
09-04-2002, 11:20 AM
hey 86hatchbackLXi -

Yea, the PS2 seems like the best idea, since it has everything i would need.

Now, one more question.......
Even though i most likely won't be doing this myself......

How do i supply the audio for the PS2 through my car speakers?

I know, I know, probably another stupid question, but i just want to know how the installation will be done.

Thanks for all the help

jigga225
09-04-2002, 02:08 PM
the PS2 has audio outputs ... usually the red/white RCA plugs. You will need to get the RCA's into your speakers' "system".
You can plug them into a head unit that has RCA inputs (Like my JVC SH-707) and it will then send the power toyour amps (you are using amps, right?).

or use an FM modulator to tap into your radio. and then whenever you play your 'station or a dvd, the sound will play through 88.1 on your FM dial on your CD player

I have a NEW FM modulator I may want to sell.... holla at me.

adAccord89LXi
09-04-2002, 02:33 PM
Alright, thanks, I appreciate it .....

Would something like this do the job?
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-K7QyOfMIPGr/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=2&g=42500&I=020FM200S+

jigga225
09-04-2002, 03:14 PM
yeah thats it.
Make sure you have a nice sound system.
Video without surround sound is garbage

89AccordNate
09-04-2002, 04:22 PM
Oh the fun wiring task!

My system is wired quite fun! The roofmounted lcd is powered from my cd player power wire. It has a power button so when I need it its on but I dont have to worry about turning it off when I turn the car off. The dreamcast is wired to an ac/dc converter that is 75w I think. I bought it for 25 bux at walmart and it works fine. I relocated the cig. lighter underneath the passenger seat and the converter is under there too. All of the wires are run under the carpet for a seamless install. With the video and audio, the dreamcast has 3 plugs on it, 2 of them go into the AUX in jacks on the rear of my deck and the video one of course runs to the screen mounted in the roof. The wires are run along the top of the headliner in a special pocket that was sewn in when the headliner was custom made, they then run along the pillars and down through the middle of the dash. To the naked eye, the tv in my car doesnt even exist....everyone asks why I have a dreamcast but they cant find the tv....its folded up into the roof.

If you are technically uninclined I would not recommend installing a 7" roof mounted lcd into a 3g. The car is NOT setup for one and some major mods had to be done to make it work right. It took me a total of 7 hours...it wasnt fun....and I nearly put a hole through my roof!

pic:

http://89accord.0catch.com/new2.jpg

Nate.