PDA

View Full Version : Calculate Torque

Immeraufdemhund
09-03-2002, 07:46 PM
How do you calculate torque?
It may sound like a strange question, but I'm trying to convert an older honda into a bicycle car. I'm thinking that if i hook up (i'll call them normal but they most likely wont be) normal bike gears to turn the fly wheel. I'm going to use a manual transmission. So i'm wondering how much force it would take to turn that fly wheel to turn the gears in the tranny to move my tires. I have an old 82 honda civic. 1500 5 speed... (90,000 original miles!) It's a small car that i've had to push and it wasn't all that hard.

smufguy
09-03-2002, 08:12 PM
torque is, if to be explained in simple physics, FORCE X Distance (force multiplied by distance).

PhydeauX
09-03-2002, 08:45 PM
Read this: http://www.g-speed.com/pbh/torque-and-hp.html

andy

POS carb
09-03-2002, 10:50 PM
sweet article. Could we have a tech section with articles like that that users submit and then we vote on whether or not to add it to the section?

Immeraufdemhund
09-04-2002, 06:07 AM
Ok, well that was a nice link. Does anyone think that my idea is even worth the time invested? It is a big project that would require a bunch of cutting, and a good amount of welding. I'm going to start scanning my notes on to my computer and once i start getting the parts i'm going to start making pictures of progress. Anywho time to get back to class.

PhydeauX
09-04-2002, 08:06 AM
Well I'm sure you could pull it off, and get it to move. But a bicycle's gearing is such that it actually reduces the torque made by you turning the crank inorder to get higher rpms at the wheels. I remember that you said you were going to run it through the 5speed box so that will sort things back out a little bit. I'm not about to do the math to figure out how you're going to have to gear it to make the thing move, but I will take a slightly educated guess and say that you'll probalby be able to walk faster then it can move, and you'll have to pedal really hard and fast.

andy

Immeraufdemhund
09-04-2002, 11:44 AM
I was thinking about having 3 sets of gears. The first set has 2 different gears that go from your feet to the second set of gears. The second set will have 5 or more gears. One of those gears is a small one and is dedicated to being pulled by the first set. The other 4 or more will be used to move the third set of gears. The third set will only have 2 gears. The one that is used by the second set and the fly wheel. I did some calculations last night and found that i'll have to get a total gear ratio of more than 1:10. Every one turn i make with my feet needs more than 10 turns of the fly wheel.