PDA

View Full Version : 3gee restoration pics

POS carb
12-25-2006, 09:47 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/758000-758999/758889_61_full.jpg
More engine pics here -> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/758889/6
other pics here -> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/758889/7

I rebuilt the engine and its ready to go in the car but I still have to put the suspension parts in but the rain won't go away.
Honda piston rings and bearings
act street/strip clutch
new seals
a much needed cleanup and paint
I still need a water pump pulley, I forgot that I threw mine out (it was warped) and the valve seals need changing but my spring compressor doesn't work on this motor... I can always change them in the car...

More pics tomorrow of my other junk!

MessyHonda
12-25-2006, 10:58 PM
looking good. nice and cheap rebuild.

88Accord-DX
12-25-2006, 11:05 PM
Good job. Looks like a Mustang in the back yard too.

2ndGenGuy
12-25-2006, 11:38 PM
Great job! Engine looks great. Leather looks cush too!

Dude, I gotta give bonus-props for the ES2 valve cover! Or did that valve cover come on other Accords too?

carotman
12-26-2006, 04:59 AM
Nice build!

What crank bearings did you use?

lostforawhile
12-26-2006, 09:05 AM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/758000-758999/758889_61_full.jpg
More engine pics here -> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/758889/6
other pics here -> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/758889/8
It's late and I'm tired of fighting with the cardomain site. page 7 is stuck in some editing abyss so its blank, I can't fix it
I rebuilt the engine and its ready to go in the car but I still have to put the suspension parts in but the rain won't go away.
Honda piston rings and bearings
act street/strip clutch
new seals
a much needed cleanup and paint
I still need a water pump pulley, I forgot that I threw mine out (it was warped) and the valve seals need changing but my spring compressor doesn't work on this motor... I can always change them in the car...
More pics tomorrow of my other junk!how did you get the old center cap to stay on the pulley? I have one just like that around here somewhere. I had a couple of ideas like that.

POS carb
12-26-2006, 09:38 AM
hola, que tal

ty for the props

The car in the back is my 66 Mustang GT, it has been taking me to and from work since February. 289 4-bbl, 3-speed auto, with Power steering (leaks). This car is a GT but it did not get many other options (like Pony interior or A/C, etc). I've had to rewire everything under the hood, change the alt, water pumkp, radiator, head gaskets, ignition system, fuel pump. I also had to replace the bearings in the rear end. I love the V8 RWD feeling. The MB Quart 15's and amps that were in the trunk are going in the 3gee so I will probably drop in my old JL box.
I'll post some pics tonight in "Off Topic"

about the A20
pistons on my engine were damaged b/c the first time I ever did engine work I somehow dropped something in the intake and it got sucked into the engine and it hammered up my rebuilt head and pistons pretty bad. I knew I had a problem right away but I never expected that. Crushed spark plugs and little melted metal blobs in my cylinders, ouch.

the rings are from Honda std size
the bearings are also from honda, all "black"...
I couldn't figure out the colors from the original bearings, most looked black, some on the rods looked green. fk it.

the valve cover is from an 84 or 85, I pulled it from a junker in California a few years ago and stripped it down. mine came with some cheap stamped metal thing. this one is solid aluminum.

the leather interior is a combination of SEi doorpanels with the top parts from an LXi and the seats are from an old 700 series Volvo sedan. They're a little bit big but really comfortable. The controls are hard to get to on the passenger seat, it has one of those stupid knob-style recliners that you have to spin.

The H hubcap snaps right into the alternator, no glue required.

I have the LXi brakes too but I want to change the wheelbearings on the LXi arms before I install them and I don't have a snap ring tool. also one side of the bearing is stuck on the hub so I need to cut it off and then the bearings need to be popped in and out (which is a bitch to do when you don't have a press)
The balljoints I was able to change with a sledgehammer, a socket, a flathead screwdriver, and two vise grips for the snapring.

this thing is a money pit, I still need to buy:
front wheel bearings
front upper balljoints
rear rotors
water pump pulley
4 tires
alignment
ignition coil
windshield is cracked (like an upside-down "T", pretty big crack)
dashboard and driver's door trim panel (later)

pretty much everything else is purchased and needs installing
new LXi rotors and calipers with ceramic pads
new lower control arms and bushings
new sway bar bushings
new lower ball joints
new rear brake pads
new Newspeed spings and tokico shocks
new HIDs (GE 6000Ks and Hella Audi-style balasts)
junkyard doorpanels
TV and DVD player
mount and wire up my amps
install headliner and trim
install HIDs

I can't wait!! :)

Cheeseburger
12-26-2006, 09:39 AM
good to hear that u still have the accord man!

carotman
12-26-2006, 02:54 PM
Well, the bearings have to be the exact size or you may end up with problems in the future. There is a chart on the engine where you can identify the bearing colors.

POS carb
12-28-2006, 01:36 PM
the damn camera didn't want to cooperate with me so I was only able to grab about 4 pics... I replaced the front wheel bearings in the LXi arms so now it is all new... Balljoints, rotors, and calipers are mounted on the arms.

I removed the axle and suspension on the driver's side, mounted the new lower control arm and new strut. waiting to drop the engine this Sat when there is some daylight and no rain... :(
It was freezing here, like 50 degrees :lol: whatever, it'll be more like 60 or 70 tonight. tonight I'll mount up the passenger side suspension and hopefully install the rear struts and brakes. I'll put some fresh pics up.

Saturday should see the engine in place and ready to go (but I have to go grab a junkyard water pump pulley first!)

To remove the balljoint you'll need a snap ring tool, a large socket (~30mm) and a large hammer. Remove the dust ring from the rear of the hub with a flat screwdriver and hammer. After that's off, you can move on to removing the snap ring from the bottom of the balljoint. Then you can smash the balljoint out by the stem with the hammer. grease the new one and gently tap it in to place, make sure it's centered, then give it a few good whacks until the snap ring ridge is visible on the bottom. The toughest part will be balancing the arm on something while you bang.

The wheel bearings are similar, to get the hub out I used the old ball joint, centered it on the rear of the hub, and banged away. Once the hub is out you can access the snap ring in the front and remove it. Hammer the balljoint from the rear out through the front of the arm. A large socket would be helpful, but most people won;t have one large enough. I tried the wheel of an old jack but it shattered. I ended up using the minisledge. THe front half of the bearing was stuck to the hub (both sides, this is almost inevitable). You'll know for sure if you can see the ball bearings. With my dremel and a metal cutoff wheel I made two cuts in the piece stuck to the hub, 180* apart and split it with a chisel. don't worry if you cut the hub a tiny bit. Lube the walls where the bearing rests and hammer it in with a large flat piece of wood and a heavy hammer. You can also use the old bearing, helpful for the final seating (the bearing rests lower than the edge of the arm)

seating the snap ring is tricky, set one side by hand and "curl" the other end of it into place. this is difficult, you may need an assistant with a flathead and small hammer to help it in.

To hammer the hub in, lube it and center it in place, give it a few soft hits so it stays in place and flip the arm over so it is resting on the hub. Hammer on the center ring of the bearing from the rear (I used one of the bearing pieces I cut but didn't have to split). If you try to hammer the hub head on you will pop the center out of the rear. I can't think of any other way to do this without a press.

enjoy, hope that helps someone.

race12001
12-28-2006, 02:44 PM
looks good i wished i had your patiance to do this

88turboaccord
12-28-2006, 11:10 PM
WOW POS Carb--didn't know you were still around...

Cheeseburger
12-28-2006, 11:22 PM
more pics!!!!!!
this pic is just money!

POS carb
12-29-2006, 12:50 PM
some new pics are up of the suspension work, I might put in some work tonight, depends how trashed I get,,, happy friday!
oh and the Mustang pics are in OFF TOPIC now

here is an LX vs LXi shot
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/758000-758999/758889_82_full.jpg

I found my old burnout pic
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/758000-758999/758889_76_full.jpg

hehehe