PDA

View Full Version : good reason to carry a decent fire extinguisher in your accord(no pea shooter)

lostforawhile
12-26-2006, 12:54 PM
got a good scare today,car wouldn't start as usual in this cold damp weather,sprayed a little starting fluid like i usually do in the intake tube,and tried to start the car, and fireball!! I had taken my aircleaner off the intake tube to spray the ether,and it blew out the intake tube and set my gasket on top of the carb on fire. it also set some dried leaves under the hood on fire,luckily I keep a 5 pound extinguisher behind the seat and it was out in under 20 seconds. not a lot of damage,just a couple of scorced hoses and some blistered paint. this is why all my fuel lines under the hood are braided stainless,and the only hose that isn't has aeroquip firesleeve over it. there were flames under that fuel hose, but the firesleeve protected the hose as was suppossed to. I do recall somebody on here saying the firesleeve wasn't needed. ahem!!!cough cough. I would encourage anyone on here who has a lot of money in their accord to invest in a good extinguisher. and not a 20 dollar one. you can get one of these commmercial 5 pounders for under 50 bucks,with a DOT approved bracket. just bolt the bracket to the floor behind the drivers seat. put the bolts through the floor pan with some reinforcing washers on the bottom. it's really cheap insurance. if anybody knows how to neutralize that dry chemical let me know,I washed the crap out of it with a garden hose,I think I got it all.

MessyHonda
12-26-2006, 01:16 PM
when the power sterring hose went...it was leaking all over the exhuast...then when i got to the dealership....the thing was on fire...so we ran inside to get the fire extinguisher...that white stuff never came out...even after i hoseed it...but yeah good call on the extinguisher...i got a lil kitchen extinguisher but its in the house.

HondaBoy
12-26-2006, 02:12 PM
i was always scared of an oil fire. this was after i saw my friends porsche 944 catch fire in front of where i used to work a few years back. so i decided to put a full size ABC fire extinguisher in my trunk. i'll try and find a pic or take one of it. lol.

2ndGenGuy
12-26-2006, 02:26 PM
My friend's Jeep caught fire multiple times. It was funny. We put it out with Blue Hi-C in a McDonald's cup the first time. Next time we had a little mini extinguisher that worked great to put it out. It was sweet.

1ajs
12-26-2006, 05:40 PM
yikes lost i knew somthing was guna happen ugg least you had the exstinger :) my dads always got one in the trunk

had somthing simlar happen on my volvo this summer big fire ball came out my su carb lol good thing i had the house beside me already on :P

w261w261
12-26-2006, 06:50 PM
This is something I've "been meaning to do...." I probably needed to hear an actual experience to prod me into getting off my ass and go buy one. I know that there are some that won't take out the wiring or cause permanent etching or staining...maybe those kind are more expensive. Anyone an extinguisher maven?

Rockcord
12-26-2006, 06:58 PM
scary, good job savin it though:)

jigga89SEi
12-26-2006, 07:06 PM
I saw this video a few years ago and I was like :eek: :eek: :eek: ... and ever since then I was like not me...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7756282886821803577&q=volks+wagon+%2B+fire&hl=en

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid220/p1d0136d686ca44f0ab20ba729dd8cbfd/ebaf534e.jpg
:thumbup: Already prepped :thumbup:

lostforawhile
12-26-2006, 07:11 PM
This is something I've "been meaning to do...." I probably needed to hear an actual experience to prod me into getting off my ass and go buy one. I know that there are some that won't take out the wiring or cause permanent etching or staining...maybe those kind are more expensive. Anyone an extinguisher maven?you need a c02 one,if you want to get expensive you need a halon extinguisher. it won't leave any residue,they are very expensive though due to enviormental concerns. this really didn't do any damage,I immedietly pressure washed off everything with a garden hose. all the residue washed away. what I need to do is get a small c02 one in addition to the big one. a fire like this might have been knocked down with no residue. if that didn't work i have the big ass one to fall back on. I've really considered getting a fire bottle system for this car someday,they are expensive,but for the money and time put into the car,it's worth the half grand or so. if your car goes up in flames,you pull the lever in the car to activate the system. then you have a backup also. those firebottles use halon as an extinguishing agent. no clean up.

Rockcord
12-26-2006, 07:14 PM
sad, im glad nobody was hurt though... my neighbors house caught on fire last week, it was less than 8 feet away from my room... scary shit

snoopyloopy
12-26-2006, 07:16 PM
damn, the video, that really sucks. although why didn't he take the extinguisher to the engine bay? but anyway, my family has had our fair share of car fires. luckily, none ever ended that bad. we just replaced all the hoses + wiring every time. it was a 1988 chrysler new yorker. and my dad burned up his '71 mustang grande the same day he decided he'd put off buying an extinguisher. and after i go on a spirited spree, i have quite a bit of smoke from my engine on occasion. i think i'll invest soon.

1ajs
12-26-2006, 07:22 PM
don't they always say you should have fire exstinger in your car? just buy one yeesh.......

snoopyloopy
12-26-2006, 07:28 PM
and everyone, even/especially those of us w/ newer cars think we'd be spared because our car is too new or just that it wouldn't happen to us.

1ajs
12-26-2006, 07:41 PM
and everyone, even/especially those of us w/ newer cars think we'd be spared because our car is too new or just that it wouldn't happen to us.

knows someone that took a new car out for a for a test drive from the dealer and they just get off the lot and it caut fire lol a 40,000 dallor car totaled i beleave the exstinger that the sales guy came runing out with was not working basicaly there was nothing left of the car.......

lostforawhile
12-26-2006, 08:13 PM
damn, the video, that really sucks. although why didn't he take the extinguisher to the engine bay? but anyway, my family has had our fair share of car fires. luckily, none ever ended that bad. we just replaced all the hoses + wiring every time. it was a 1988 chrysler new yorker. and my dad burned up his '71 mustang grande the same day he decided he'd put off buying an extinguisher. and after i go on a spirited spree, i have quite a bit of smoke from my engine on occasion. i think i'll invest soon.it looked like an electrical fire,it didn't look like an engine fire at all,notice no flames from the engine,only from the dash. why in the hell didn't he disconnect the battery when it was only a small fire? I have an emergency disconnect knob right on my negative terminal. I'm also going to install an emergency disconnect pull in the car,that kills the alternator and the battery all at once. if you have one of those you can keep it pulled when not in the car and run a small five amp bypass for your alarm and stuff. that small of a fuse would immedietly blow and not cause any wiring damage. I wonder if that was an amp wire that caught fire in that car? I see people run 4 and 6 gauge wires from their batteries all the time with no fuse. if you have a wire that big for a car stereo,you should have a proper fuse or fuse block right next to the battery. I think the prevailing logic is "well the amp has a fuse,wire must not need one." I've actually seen installers that think like that. scary stuff. people ignorant of electricity shouldn't be running wiring. that heavy power wire to the amp will set your car on fire faster then anything if it's not fused right.
add on: my bad the flames were under the hood,but they were coming from the harness i believe. most of them were inside though. was that duct tape on that hose right above the fire? makes me wonder. I notice if it was electrical he def didn't disconnect the battery,the lights were still on and the flashers were going. bad mistake.

Cheeseburger
12-26-2006, 08:49 PM
god dam!

SQ is the SQUAD
12-26-2006, 08:49 PM
not to anyone, if you ever have a fire like that, close your doors, windows and hood, it most likely cant spread like that if it dosent get enough air, it will smolter out

AccordEpicenter
12-26-2006, 09:23 PM
i also carry a fire extinguisher but i need a bigger one. I just have a 2lb

MessyHonda
12-26-2006, 11:52 PM
not to anyone, if you ever have a fire like that, close your doors, windows and hood, it most likely cant spread like that if it dosent get enough air, it will smolter out

yeah i heard that is the best thing to do so it does not have oxigen to spreed out.....man i should get one fast....i would cry if anything happen to my car....lol yeah yeah even postwhores cry

3rdgenhatchDX
12-27-2006, 08:34 AM
My co-worker used to be a fireman i'll see what i can get from him... the civic is gonna be boosted or NAWZ'd :) so ... better safe than sorry

Glad your okay TIM!

lostforawhile
12-27-2006, 01:43 PM
yeah i heard that is the best thing to do so it does not have oxigen to spreed out.....man i should get one fast....i would cry if anything happen to my car....lol yeah yeah even postwhores crythere are too many places for air to get in for that to work,that would only work if the car was sealed. maby on volkswagon bugs.

Cheeseburger
12-27-2006, 01:51 PM
"burn baby burn"

SQ is the SQUAD
12-27-2006, 03:18 PM
not true. yes air can get in, but not at a rate fast enough for the fire to smolter out before it spreads. no car is air tight, or else we would die unless the windows are down. ive seen somone try to set a car on fire with the windows up. it was smoltering out then the dickhead opend the door and puff in flames

1ajs
12-27-2006, 04:33 PM
fire is fire