PDA

View Full Version : Son of a Bitch.

Rockcord
12-26-2006, 06:39 PM
so i was drivin today, looking at a "pick-a-part" place for a new carb cuz mine has always acted up in some way... so im driving back, about 3 miles or so, and i get back into salem, coasting down a hil, the car dies... mind you, my engine has less than 10,000 miles since the rebuild... the car was'nt running cold... so i start it up and take off... I called my mechanic and told him im coming down there so we can talk about making an appt. so i get down to his shop (about 5 miles) and everythign was fine, so i was like, ok, its better now... made the apointment for next tuesday (next opening availiable) and took off... well, about 1/2 mile away i put $20 of gas in it... couldnt start it up again... called my mechanic back, he said he would be right down... he looks at it, the godamn carb is swamped with fuel, wont do shit, just keeps spitting it in, and he said the needle and shit is alll fucked so, Im getting another carb (which he pulled of my last 84) that he still had luckily... I swear to god, when i get my tax money back, im ONLY going to look for EFI.... im sick of this carb shit...

3rdgenhatchDX
12-26-2006, 06:57 PM
:werd: Carb's suck....

Rockcord
12-26-2006, 06:59 PM
:werd: Carb's suck....
true-r words never spoken sir...
the bad part is we have had this car over ten years, 2 engine rebuilds... still the stock carb on it

russiankid
12-26-2006, 07:17 PM
I never had a problem with a carb(knock on wood). Maybe you got unlucky?

Rockcord
12-26-2006, 07:19 PM
its damn old, and its always been iffy, but meh, its fine just more money to add to the bill i cant pay.. what a way to end the year right?

russiankid
12-26-2006, 07:25 PM
Yea, maybe try and get a rebuild kit for it?

HondaBoy
12-26-2006, 07:28 PM
carbs suck when they dont work. but when they do they are the shit. me, i had to rebuild mine, took like two days or so. now i could probably do it in a few hours. would be cool to do an efi swap, but good luck finding parts for the 1.8.

86AccordLxi
12-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Ha! You're from Salem? Craziness. Do you go to the Turner pick-a-part?

Sorry to hear about your car troubles.

Alex

Rockcord
12-26-2006, 08:05 PM
Ha! You're from Salem? Craziness. Do you go to the Turner pick-a-part?

Sorry to hear about your car troubles.

Alex
yeah, never been before, so i wanted to check it out

skycam_313
12-26-2006, 08:53 PM
but you have to figure.... over 250,000 miles on anything and its gonna break down... carb, efi, deisel.... hell HOVERCRAFT for all that matters.... obviously you should have rebuilt the carb with the engine:uh:

Cheeseburger
12-26-2006, 09:10 PM
that sucks maing good luck!

Rockcord
12-26-2006, 10:02 PM
the only reason we didnt rebuild the carb was it was already alot of money and we didnt want to have to pay any more... so yeah, delay and consequences i guess...

2ndGenGuy
12-26-2006, 10:46 PM
The thing with EFI is that there are a million electrical things that can go wrong. With a carb, you open it up, see the problem, repace or repair the part and its done. No fucking with replacing $200 sensors, $500 ECUs, etc.

I guess each has thier strength and weakness. An EFI fuel delivery system tends not to slowly wear out, it will just crap out and run crappy all at once. So you know for sure when it's fixed.

MessyHonda
12-27-2006, 12:03 AM
The thing with EFI is that there are a million electrical things that can go wrong. With a carb, you open it up, see the problem, repace or repair the part and its done. No fucking with replacing $200 sensors, $500 ECUs, etc.

I guess each has thier strength and weakness. An EFI fuel delivery system tends not to slowly wear out, it will just crap out and run crappy all at once. So you know for sure when it's fixed.

dont be hatting...you knoe sensors dont cost that much...unless you go to the dealershit....plus EFI throws codes....thats why you see me driving my lx-i its more reliable at the end..our carbs tweak out when they are old.

Hazwan
12-27-2006, 05:41 AM
dont be hatting...you knoe sensors dont cost that much...unless you go to the dealershit....plus EFI throws codes....thats why you see me driving my lx-i its more reliable at the end..our carbs tweak out when they are old.

Sure they throw codes, but only to locate those electronic faults which don't even exist on carbed cars :D

Hehe but I agree, EFI are great

2ndGenGuy
12-27-2006, 08:20 AM

LOL. Not hating, just discussing. You're right about the codes, that's so nice to have. It's nice to roll up to AutoZone when the car is running shitty, hook up a computer and it says "TPS Sensor" and you replace the part and you're done in 5 minutes. It's just when the car doesn't throw a code, or throws a bad code that you're in for a treat.

Like I said, they've each got their ups and downs. :)

MessyHonda
12-27-2006, 08:22 AM
LOL. Not hating, just discussing. You're right about the codes, that's so nice to have. It's nice to roll up to AutoZone when the car is running shitty, hook up a computer and it says "TPS Sensor" and you replace the part and you're done in 5 minutes. It's just when the car doesn't throw a code, or throws a bad code that you're in for a treat.
Like I said, they've each got their ups and downs. :)

its a honda it lasts forever :thumbup:

2ndGenGuy
12-27-2006, 08:32 AM
Yeah thats true either way... :)

3rdgenhatchDX
12-27-2006, 08:36 AM
My last breakdown i had w/the accord, the accelerator pump spring had fallen down... one paper clip later i was on the road... SO! yes carb's are grand when they work, but if you don't have the tools/knowledge in this FI world... then eh...

Cheeseburger
12-27-2006, 09:35 AM
i really never had a problem with my lx, it went 3 years with no problems when i was driving it as my daily, i don't really drive it now and still no problems.

2oodoor
12-27-2006, 10:33 AM
its damn old, and its always been iffy, but meh, its fine just more money to add to the bill i cant pay.. what a way to end the year right?
you can pay me now or you can pay me later, either way you gotta pay !!
it is better to pay while your doing a PM on the car than when your on the side of the road.
With your 84 your dont have much opportunity to go EFI

You should look for carbs off cars that look like they have not been sitting a long time.

and for people who think that codes thrown instantly points you to the problems with EFI systems..... that is not true. The codes only show when sensors are out of their normal operating range, or exibiting voltage spikes, or not reading at all. These events can be caused by chain reactions which do not directly involve the sensor in question , the codes only give you one piece of a clue at the problem. Sometimes you get lucky and it is directly the sensor that the codes indicate, but in any code setting circumstance you should evaluate other symptoms, visual checks, and check TSB's on your vehicle that indicate the presented code.

The biggest problem about our carbs is their sensativity to climatic conditions. These are the hardest problems to correct given that you have a carb in good conditon to begin with.

Rockcord
12-27-2006, 01:20 PM
well, i didnt plan to go EFI on my 84, im looking for a newer car like an 89LX-i at least, but im not sure yet

2ndGenGuy
12-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Go with an 85 SEi. Thems are the shit. Nobody on the site has one, if you could pick up a cherry one, they're EFI and pretty damn quick from what I heard. My cousin used to have one and said it flew.

Rockcord
12-27-2006, 02:44 PM
that would be fun too :-D

offthahook
12-27-2006, 02:49 PM
Kinda hard to blame the carb with so many miles and as old as your car is. It needs rebuilt or buy a rebuilt one. You might know the engine number, the VIN, whether it was a Cali car, etc. All 84-5 Accords carbs (OEM) aren't really swappable. If you get a rebuilt one, you must match transmissions type, emissions type, altitude type, etc...

Rockcord
12-27-2006, 03:00 PM
i got a new carb being rebuilt for it. off of my old 84 that was a donor car

MessyHonda
12-27-2006, 06:45 PM
Go with an 85 SEi. Thems are the shit. Nobody on the site has one, if you could pick up a cherry one, they're EFI and pretty damn quick from what I heard. My cousin used to have one and said it flew.

LIEESSS i tell ya...my dx beat my friends 85se-i they are kinda slow but sweet..they look good...and have a sunroof...woot.

Ichiban
12-27-2006, 08:41 PM
I had that happen to me on my 83. It ran fine until one day it just started spewing gas everywhere. Limped it home at full throttle and yarded off the carb, had like 6 spares though (for some reason:dunno: )

Rockcord
12-27-2006, 08:50 PM
I had that happen to me on my 83. It ran fine until one day it just started spewing gas everywhere. Limped it home at full throttle and yarded off the carb, had like 6 spares though (for some reason:dunno: )
hahah nice, im planning to get the old dead one and tear it apart so i cna do it myself next time

2ndGenGuy
12-28-2006, 12:07 AM
LIEESSS i tell ya...my dx beat my friends 85se-i they are kinda slow but sweet..they look good...and have a sunroof...woot.

Hmm your friends SEi musta been an auto. Or he's a bad driver. The SEi is lighter and has the same horsepower. :P

Feuerstoss
12-28-2006, 12:26 AM
That kinda sucks, but I kinda feel your carb pain. My LX stalls out when coming to a stop when it's cold out. I took it to a shop and they did what they could for a reasonable price, but it's still doing it. I guess that's to be expected at 190K. Thankfuly, one of my coworkers is giving me an A20A1 carb with a rebuild kit so that might be what I go for... I have no idea how he got it since he's never owned a 3gee. I guess in the meantime my LX is dow, but thankfuly today I picked up my G1 Legend.