PDA

View Full Version : wheres my power off the line?

ballin_in_my_accord
12-29-2006, 07:26 AM
ok, i just got my accord on the road, overall im very impressed:) .. theres just one anoying thing, my acceleration from a stop isnt there, it seems like it takes forever to get to 40kmh. sometimes it wont happen and the car will just take off. and always after you get there to 40 around the car accelerates fast. its not a huge deal its weird how every once in a while it doesnt happen , it would be nice if it would go away buyt i dont have much money to do much about it

carotman
12-29-2006, 08:28 AM
You have an automatic transmission or manual. It's EFI or Carb?

ballin_in_my_accord
12-29-2006, 01:49 PM
auto and carb

jonrichert
12-29-2006, 01:54 PM
auto and carb
my condolences...

ballin_in_my_accord
12-29-2006, 01:56 PM
lol thanks man

2oodoor
12-29-2006, 02:04 PM
auto and carb
This seems to be a common occurance with carbed automatics. Mine is automatic and converted to weber and has header, and still I get this effect that the car runs out great to the ear but to look at the speedometer going up to 45 mph, it is just plain slow sometimes. A lot of low end torque is lost in the torque converter, and until it reaches its favorite temperature, it just sends engine torque to squishy land** defined by yours truely as internal slippage, much like a semi engaged clutch, which is what a torque converter kind of does, by combined set of fluid couplings in a turbine design which push against each other. This along with the "ideiosynchracies" (spell that one) of our different carburators and climatic effects on mixtures throughout the power range, we have to live with some of this. All that aside my car can really launch strong once it has warmed up sometimes but even then sometimes it still acts that way.
The other thing that I keep hearing is this thing at around 3500 to 4000 rpm, where the engine just takes off like it was holding back before,the exhaust breathing better, I think it is refered to as 'pulsing' when the exhaust system just reaches an ideal flowing situation.... let me add that this is with a header.

ballin_in_my_accord
12-29-2006, 02:11 PM
This seems to be a common occurance with carbed automatics. Mine is automatic and converted to weber and has header, and still I get this effect that the car runs out great to the ear but to look at the speedometer going up to 45 mph, it is just plain slow sometimes. A lot of low end torque is lost in the torque converter, and until it reaches its favorite temperature, it just sends engine torque to squishy land** defined by yours truely as internal slippage, much like a semi engaged clutch, which is what a torque converter kind of does, by combined set of fluid couplings in a turbine design which push against each other. This along with the "ideiosynchracies" (spell that one) of our different carburators and climatic effects on mixtures throughout the power range, we have to live with some of this. All that aside my car can really launch strong once it has warmed up sometimes but even then sometimes it still acts that way.
The other thing that I keep hearing is this thing at around 3500 to 4000 rpm, where the engine just takes off like it was holding back before,the exhaust breathing better, I think it is refered to as 'pulsing' when the exhaust system just reaches an ideal flowing situation.... let me add that this is with a header.
yeah that happens to me quite a bit too, all of a sudden its just there. it almost feels like its just not reacting when u put the pedal down

2oodoor
12-30-2006, 04:37 PM
yeah that happens to me quite a bit too, all of a sudden its just there. it almost feels like its just not reacting when u put the pedal down
Something else you can check that may help is ignition timing, vaccum advance. and make sure your carb secondary diaphragm accutator is working.

Oldblueaccord
12-30-2006, 10:45 PM
Yeah I'd look at timing. Advancing it would give you some low end torque. Id also look at where you timing belt it if its off a tooth you would be down on power as well.

A few other things to look at is what size rim /tire combo your running as well as what kinda junk your hauling around too weight kills take off.

So the fat girlfriend is off limits on drag race day.

wp

MessyHonda
12-31-2006, 10:33 AM
auto and carb

anything over 3500 on my carbed and auto is point less..lol but it gets hella good gas mileage