PDA

View Full Version : Accord Power Steering Leak

NoGeezsGap
12-30-2006, 07:03 AM
Has anyone found a chemical to stop slow leaks in the power steering?

Thanks, Jim

Foxy3GLXI
12-30-2006, 07:21 AM
Has anyone found a chemical to stop slow leaks in the power steering?
Thanks, Jim

I use Lucas powersteering fix. (or something like that) It does work real good. not too sure of the exact name but I do know the bottle says Lucas

NoGeezsGap
12-30-2006, 07:26 AM
thanks for the info, Fox3GLXI , I'll try it.

MessyHonda
12-31-2006, 09:43 AM
well when we did geddys tranny i saw that his power steering level was low...so when we went to the store we picked up some power steering fluid that some some leak stop on it. you would have to check with him if it worked.

shepherd79
12-31-2006, 10:02 AM
you should only use PS fluid designed for Honda.
It will say right on the bottle.
Anyother PS fluids can actually damage it. I have seen it and heard enough on this board from people screwing it up and asking for help.

87lxiaccord
12-31-2006, 08:55 PM
yeah my power steering only leaks when the wheel is fully turned at prking lot speeds. I only use honda fluid but the owner before me may have used other stuff. I might try that lucas though because it's already screwed up so i don't think it'll hurt...

Pico
12-31-2006, 09:21 PM
I've used Lucas before in some of the other cars I've had and it worked great, but shepherd79 is right you should stick to Honda ps fluid in our rides I wouldnt want to take a chance and make things worse

lostforawhile
12-31-2006, 09:25 PM
the lucas will work for a while then your system will leak like crazy. it will make it worse over time. trust me I know. it says gauranteed to stop leaks,but not for how long. if your rack was damagd from the wrong fluid,then so is your pump. the pump is really easy to rebuild,just seals and stuff. the kit is available from advance auto parts. the only seal that was bad in the kit,was the one where the fluid inlet bolts to the outside of the pump. I got another o ring from nappa to fix that. better to spend 30 bucks then a fortune on a new pump. the main trick is making sure you keep the parts in order when you take them out of the pump. the rotors will go in backwards. you basically need to take it apart,clean out all the old fluid,then reassemble it,then turn it by hand while pouring some fluid in the inlet side. make sure to clean all traces of old fluid from the lines,or flush them with the correct fluid.

Blaaz
01-02-2007, 11:45 AM
How long will it take to:
1) Remove and replace
2) Rebuild
3) Flush fluid?

russiankid
01-02-2007, 12:09 PM
the lucas will work for a while then your system will leak like crazy. it will make it worse over time. trust me I know. it says gauranteed to stop leaks,but not for how long. if your rack was damagd from the wrong fluid,then so is your pump. the pump is really easy to rebuild,just seals and stuff. the kit is available from advance auto parts. the only seal that was bad in the kit,was the one where the fluid inlet bolts to the outside of the pump. I got another o ring from nappa to fix that. better to spend 30 bucks then a fortune on a new pump. the main trick is making sure you keep the parts in order when you take them out of the pump. the rotors will go in backwards. you basically need to take it apart,clean out all the old fluid,then reassemble it,then turn it by hand while pouring some fluid in the inlet side. make sure to clean all traces of old fluid from the lines,or flush them with the correct fluid.Sorry to jack the thread, but im planning to rebuild my pump. I have Honda P/S fluid in there, do i need to drain the fluid from the lines and then flush or i'm good?

azazel_18_2
01-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Where is your leak? Is it the rack or is it elsewhere? I would not dick around with other fluids other than those for HONDA. I use the lusas in alot of things and found out the hard way not to use it in my p/s. The seal went out in my Vehicle speed sensor(has p/s fluid running through it) and was dumping p/s fluid into my transmission. I kept adding wondering where it was going until I pulled my vehicle speed sensor out and fluid poured all over the ground. The p/s hoses that connect to the vehicle speed sensor are bad about leaking. If it is the rack watch ebay. I bought min BRAND NEW and shipped for $69. Find out where your leak is.