PDA

View Full Version : Quick help.

LiTtLe xOx BitT
01-02-2007, 01:41 AM
Im trying to order a new crankshaft and i ran into something i dont know the answer to since i never worked on them before. When i go to order it they ask me if i want one with a 12mm nose or a 14mm nose which do i choose?

cygnus x-1
01-02-2007, 10:34 AM
The nose is where the pulley attaches. Those both sound way small for an "A" series crank though. What is this for?

C|

LiTtLe xOx BitT
01-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Its for my a20a3.

cygnus x-1
01-02-2007, 08:33 PM
I just checked, it's the diameter of the crank pulley bolt. Are you really buying a new one? Those things are like $600 new! Unless yours is bent or just totally fubar I would try to reuse it.

If you do need a replacement I'll sell you one cheap. It was left over from my rebuild. I found a complete engine for really cheap so I bought it for spare parts. The crank is actually out of an A18A1 from an 87 Prelude, but it's identical to the A20 cranks, same part number even (13310-PH2-000). It hasn't been checked but the engine was running until the timing belt stripped out. I decided to do a full rebuild since it needed headwork and many of the seals were leaking. The engine only had 108,000 miles on it.

$50 + shipping. Let my know if you want it and I'll check on shipping cost.

C|

3rdgenhatchDX
01-02-2007, 09:25 PM
I just checked, it's the diameter of the crank pulley bolt. Are you really buying a new one? Those things are like $600 new! Unless yours is bent or just totally fubar I would try to reuse it.

If you do need a replacement I'll sell you one cheap. It was left over from my rebuild. I found a complete engine for really cheap so I bought it for spare parts. The crank is actually out of an A18A1 from an 87 Prelude, but it's identical to the A20 cranks, same part number even (13310-PH2-000). It hasn't been checked but the engine was running until the timing belt stripped out. I decided to do a full rebuild since it needed headwork and many of the seals were leaking. The engine only had 108,000 miles on it.

C|

^^^ who is this guy?

MessyHonda
01-02-2007, 11:01 PM
^^^ who is this guy?

he is from prelude power...he also has a nice rebuild write up on that site...he knows his shit.....

cygnus x-1
01-03-2007, 12:06 AM
^^^ who is this guy?
:lol: I just noticed I have no info in my profile. I could see how that might make people wonder. The short version:
My name is Chris Baugher. I'm from the Chicago area and I own an '87 Prelude. I joined this site because there is WAY more A20 info here than on PreludePower.
The "C|" thing is just something I started doing way back to sign emails and web posts. "C" is my first initial and "|" is a vertical bar character (shift + \ on most keyboards), which represents my last name. One of my best friends is also named Chris so people would always call us by our last names, hance the nickname "bar".
As for knowing my shit, I'm quite flattered to hear that! Most of what I know is from 3geez and Preludepower, especially from guys like Rich Judjey (among many others). He is truly an old school Honda guru. I'm merely standing on the shoulders of giants.
I'll fill in my profile a bit so I'm not so mysterious. :lol:

MessyHonda
01-03-2007, 12:23 AM
:lol: I just noticed I have no info in my profile. I could see how that might make people wonder. The short version:
My name is Chris Baugher. I'm from the Chicago area and I own an '87 Prelude. I joined this site because there is WAY more A20 info here than on PreludePower.
The "C|" thing is just something I started doing way back to sign emails and web posts. "C" is my first initial and "|" is a vertical bar character (shift + \ on most keyboards), which represents my last name. One of my best friends is also named Chris so people would always call us by our last names, hance the nickname "bar".
As for knowing my shit, I'm quite flattered to hear that! Most of what I know is from 3geez and Preludepower, especially from guys like Rich Judjey (among many others). He is truly an old school Honda guru. I'm merely standing on the shoulders of giants.
I'll fill in my profile a bit so I'm not so mysterious. :lol:

:welcome: i see you at prelude power....anyways my name is Jesse

LiTtLe xOx BitT
01-03-2007, 12:35 AM

C|
So it doesn't matter which one i get? I found a cramkshaft kit that comes with all the seals and bearings for $250.

shepherd79
01-03-2007, 06:03 AM
So it doesn't matter which one i get? I found a cramkshaft kit that comes with all the seals and bearings for $250.

well no not really. you may want to match up for the pulley you have unless you want to buy a new pulley.

LiTtLe xOx BitT
01-03-2007, 06:41 AM
well no not really. you may want to match up for the pulley you have unless you want to buy a new pulley.
Well the pulley i have has chips in it so i think i need a new one anyway.

shepherd79
01-03-2007, 07:37 AM
since you have 88 accord, i would say you need 14 mm crank.
i think 12 mm one was for 86-87 years.

cygnus x-1
01-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Hey Jesse. Nice to see ya man.

The crank kit sounds like a decent deal if you really need a new crank. I have no idea if the pulleys are compatible, the bolts difinitely will not be. I do know that my 1987 A18A1 crank used the 12mm crank bolt and the 1988 A20A1 (carbed) engine I bought also used the 12mm crank bolt.

For the engine build I used the A18 block (bored to A20 specs), the A20A1 crank, and new A20A3 pistons; so I know it's all compatible. I have no idea about the 14mm crank bolt though. I can tell you that both of the (12mm bolt) cranks I have use a pulley with a 25mm keyed hole, if that helps any. Maybe the 14mm bolt is used for FI engines?

C|