PDA

View Full Version : where is the fuel filter?

ahmad89
01-02-2007, 03:38 PM
i need to know where is the fuel filter the one thats under the engine and the other one, and what brand should i get and i need to know how to install it. sorry if this is in the wrong section.
I have an 89 accord DX carbed. PICS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

w261w261
01-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Ahmad, you gotta learn to use the Search function. On the bar up there, click on "search," then put in, say "fuel filter." Then start reading. Here's one thread from the list:

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52677&highlight=fuel+filter

To get you started, the carbed cars have two filters, one in the rear driver's wheel well, the other under the hood. Fuelie cars have one filter, under the hood.

ahmad89
01-02-2007, 05:09 PM
i saw that thread and i read it but i thought it was different since his car was an earlier year then mine.
EDIT:I found the location of the filter under the hood thats the main one im concerned about i just need to know what tools are required, what brand, and how to remove it and install it.

ghettogeddy
01-02-2007, 05:28 PM
should be vary easy take a pair of pliers remove the clips pull the hose off the filter take yours to a parts store say i want this in a fram filter and revers the order make sure u have the flow correct or your car prolly wont start hell i did mine in the parking lot of kragen lol
also ur rear on is gona be the first to go bad

ahmad89
01-02-2007, 05:40 PM
ok i need to know where they are please i looked in the manual but i didnt find it. please pics. thankyou

3rdgenhatchDX
01-02-2007, 09:30 PM
on my hatch the rear one was by the tank and the front 1 was i guess where they all are on carb'd models pop hood go to right upper corner, dig, there it is...

Follow the red tube on the right>>>
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a116/3rdgenhatchdx/My%20car%20pix/Car%20wash/DSC00914.jpg

MessyHonda
01-02-2007, 11:04 PM
i saw that thread and i read it but i thought it was different since his car was an earlier year then mine.
EDIT:I found the location of the filter under the hood thats the main one im concerned about i just need to know what tools are required, what brand, and how to remove it and install it.

they are all the same the only diff is the fuel injected ones and the carbed ones.

Cheeseburger
01-02-2007, 11:05 PM
i think i have the fuel filters for the carb still brand new too! i never got to use them :(

ahmad89
01-02-2007, 11:58 PM
so that round thing that the red wire is going around is the fuel filter? always thought that was some kind of filter. Ok now where exactly is the other one? really appreciate the pics man.

ahmad89
01-03-2007, 01:50 AM
3rdgenhatch you got the same plug wires i had i should have kept those but returned them. Ima buy some new ones later. tomrrow im going to take out the fuel filter and let yall know whats going on. thanks again everyone.

shepherd79
01-03-2007, 05:53 AM
the main fuel filter is behind the rear wheel on driver side.
jack that side up, remove the wheel, and you should see the fuel tank and filter bolted to the body.

PS. IMO, if you can't even find filter under the hood, you shouldn't be working on your car.

ahmad89
01-03-2007, 01:28 PM
jsut because i dont know where the fuel filter is that means i shouldnt work on my car? if your gonna say that then nobody should work on their own cars, cause not one person knows everything about anything on a car. IMO.

Anyways back ontopic, i changed both fuel filters and the car still dies and stills idles weird, liek it would rev up to 3k rpm then drop to almsot stalling as in the car would shake then rev back up to 3k rpm. Then on my way home from getting something to eat it died on me, i would press the gas to try to get it back up but it wouldnt do anything and when i shift into neutral the rpms would drop to 0. Im just going to change the carburetor and hopefuly that is the problem but if i change the PCV valve would that stop my idle problems?

reanimator420
01-03-2007, 01:33 PM
seafoam for the win

ahmad89
01-03-2007, 02:03 PM
seafoam? more info please..

shepherd79
01-03-2007, 02:43 PM
seafoam- carb or fuel injector cleaner. available at any autoparts store.

Since your car can't idle, i would suspect two things, first you have vacuum leak, or two your the veturies in the carb got loose and it may needs to be rebuild. you can get the rebuild kit for $30-40 at autoparts.

PS. I knew 3G accord from inside out. I know where everything is and how to replace it.

ahmad89
01-03-2007, 03:54 PM
would seafoam fix my problem? and how do i use it?

reanimator420
01-03-2007, 05:00 PM
you buy it from autozone for like 6$. go home and take off the carb lid and while the engine is still running slowly pour about half in the carb until the cars shuts. wait like 20 min then try to restart

shepherd79
01-03-2007, 05:21 PM
don't poor seafoam into the carb. you will stall the engine very easy.
put seafoam in the fuel tank, and fill it to the top.
buy some carb cleaner B-12 or some other stuff. any of them would work just fine.
remove the air filter box, and spray carb cleaner in the carb and on the linkages. let it sit for 15-30 minutes. repeat process and start the car. you may have hard time starting due to a lot of carb cleaner in the intake manifold. it will start eventually.
it may smoke a little but it should stop after a while
let it warm up and let it idle. with airbox removed, give some RPM and spray carb cleaner in the carb.

ahmad89
01-03-2007, 06:28 PM
ok now can yall help me find a step-by-step buide or video guide to get to and take off the carburetor? i have been looking and i cant find any for my 3rdgen accord.

ilikevtecs
01-03-2007, 07:36 PM
jsut because i dont know where the fuel filter is that means i shouldnt work on my car? if your gonna say that then nobody should work on their own cars, cause not one person knows everything about anything on a car. IMO.

Anyways back ontopic, i changed both fuel filters and the car still dies and stills idles weird, liek it would rev up to 3k rpm then drop to almsot stalling as in the car would shake then rev back up to 3k rpm. Then on my way home from getting something to eat it died on me, i would press the gas to try to get it back up but it wouldnt do anything and when i shift into neutral the rpms would drop to 0. Im just going to change the carburetor and hopefuly that is the problem but if i change the PCV valve would that stop my idle problems?

okay so i basically had the same prob my carb was a peice of shiz and do all the same crap, so i go do a motorvac twice at school and still didn't fix anything then i checked fuel filters and i know they were knew but still did anyways and sure enough nothing wrong with them. so i thought i was doomed i wasn't gonna pay for another carb so i went to napa to get a rebuild kit and i was suppose to find some part numbers on the carb, i couldn't find them so i said f it and had the air box off didn't feel like putting all back together so i just put it on bolted it down at the carb hooked up the vaccum lines and everything except the plastic hose in RED and the rubber breather next to it, and so i go out my drive way giving it as much gas as i did when it ran like crap and it just took off! i almost sh** my pants i was soooo happy it didn't stall it just ran! so yeah idk what that hose does but it sucks at least for me its not cloged or anything i checked it out and all it goes to is the bottom of the air box and i have a bran new filter sooo i'm confused. I've been running it like this for a week now no problems except that sometimes if i make short trips turn it off then get back in it has a high idle like a 3-4 grand for only a 30 seconds or so. well kinda a long storie but maybe it will cure ur problems...

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r206/ilikevtecs/DSC00914.jpg

ahmad89
01-03-2007, 07:39 PM
ok i re-read your story and so basically you took off that hose in red and it didnt stall on you? and you had the same problem i did right? my car also revs up high around 3-4k rpms sometimes.

ilikevtecs
01-03-2007, 07:47 PM
im kinda confused what did you do basically? and could you explain what you highlighted in the pic?
ok so all i did is remove that plastic tube circled in red, and right now i don't have the rubber breather hose hooked up to the air box(the hose right above the one circled in red in the picture) now i don't know what that little black box is so i just felt like pointing at it in blue. Now whatever that black is it doesn't like the plastic tube, hope u understand that a little better

ahmad89
01-03-2007, 07:50 PM
ok let me just clarify this, if i take off that plastic tube in red and remove that hose above it or next to it, this will keep my car running and wont shut off on me while driving?

ilikevtecs
01-03-2007, 07:55 PM
ok i re-read your story and so basically you took off that hose in red and it didnt stall on you? and you had the same problem i did right? my car also revs up high around 3-4k rpms sometimes.
we were in the same boat, but yeah i took it off and its runs great now

ahmad89
01-03-2007, 07:57 PM
ok thanks alot man i will take it off and let you know asap

Cheeseburger
01-03-2007, 08:17 PM
:mod:

MessyHonda
01-03-2007, 10:13 PM
ok now can yall help me find a step-by-step buide or video guide to get to and take off the carburetor? i have been looking and i cant find any for my 3rdgen accord.

check out the manual...i dont think any one has done a vid...if it was that easy...everyone would have a 3gee

shepherd79
01-04-2007, 06:17 AM
there are no Video or step by step on removing the carb. it is preatty easy to do.

as for what Ilikecvtec said, well the plastic tube is for air suction valve. if you remove it and your valve is working it will make a lot of noice.
the rubber tube that is above it is for valve cover breather. it is part of PCV system. It sould be connected. the black box that it is connected to has a small filter (flow by filter) inside that you can take it out and replace it.

i don't think it will do anything for you. i think your problem is a lot bigger than just a few plastic pipes.

ahmad89
01-04-2007, 07:15 AM
well i will try what ilikevtec said and if the problem doesnt go away, will tear at the carb with cleaners and seafoam.

ahmad89
01-04-2007, 01:17 PM
i took off that plastic thing and that hose that connects to the breather valve and my car didnt start, when i was putting on the the hose to the breather valve it started raining so i just put it on and closed the hood. So now im waiting for the rain to stop and then try it with the hose on.
On my way to school this morning my car died again the weird thing was the battery light was flashing while i was trying to start it and then it started flashing faintly like it wasnt as bright as the other lights. Then again on the way home it shut off, when i was starting it, the battery light wasnt on at all. Iono i just have a weird feeling that its my battery.

snoopyloopy
01-04-2007, 01:51 PM
yeah, could be your battery. or your altenator. i had my car die on my while i was driving bc the altenator was bad and it killed the battery.

ahmad89
01-04-2007, 02:24 PM
russiankid told me how to check the alternator i'll do that after i clean the carb.

3rdgenhatchDX
01-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Ahmad89- sounds like your dealin with an accelerator pump issue my 3g would die like yours is, contact "A20A1" for a pic but if you pop your hood and stand on the drivers side with your hands on your knee caps you should be able to see it, it looks like a spring wrapped around a rod, very small like in real life it's this big ____________ ish...

mine had a clip in it that fell out, and that's what caused it to lay down, i know it's ghetto but the only size pin that would fit in there to keep it up was a paper clip, so check it out :D

Blk87dx
01-29-2007, 05:39 PM
if i remember right there are to fuel filters on your car as well as all the rest of the 3geez accord's there is one under the hood and the other one is under the passenger side rear wheel all you have to do is take it off and its right there. and because if they are little yellow or white clip those break very easy and some of them are pretty expensive to replace. and it they are the clips use a flat head screw driver.and pry them out.

ahmad89
01-29-2007, 07:32 PM
i found the filters and replaced them awhile ago and i fixed my problem which was the fuel pump. thanks.