PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan Gasket

russiankid
01-02-2007, 04:47 PM
When the car used to be my brothers, he replaced the oil pan gasket twice with no luck to stop the leak. So when i replaced the clutch, i went ahead and did the oil pan gasket. After about 25 miles of driving, it started to leak. So does this happen to everyone? Or we just have bad luck. After replacing the gasket 3 times it wont stop leaking. Is there a way to fix it? I'm really getting tired of the leak.

Edit:
I noticed that it only leaks on the pulley side of the engine. Mostly comes near the rounded areas not the flat parts.

Cheeseburger
01-02-2007, 06:32 PM
my car doesn't leak oil, but it could be that the pan might not be lining up right. there might be a small dent or something.

russiankid
01-02-2007, 06:49 PM
my car doesn't leak oil, but it could be that the pan might not be lining up right. there might be a small dent or something.
The pan is relatively new, and me and my brother made sure that we put the gasket on correctly.

carotman
01-02-2007, 07:28 PM
The rounded areas are harder to make a good seal.

Did you use some adhesive in the corners (Permatex stuff)? Did you use a torque wrench to secure the pan in place?

russiankid
01-02-2007, 07:31 PM
The rounded areas are harder to make a good seal.
Did you use some adhesive in the corners (Permatex stuff)? Did you use a torque wrench to secure the pan in place?
Yes to all of that. I didn't use a torque wrench, but i did it by hand so i wont over tighten anything. What i did notice when it started to leak is that on the pulley side, near the rounded area, the gasket isn't flush with the pan. Now the tranny side is flush, so i was thinking thats the problem. but heres the thing, since i used sealant on the rounded area, i cannot loosen the bolts and tuck the gasket in since it has adhesive on it.:thumbdn:

shepherd79
01-03-2007, 05:58 AM
you need to get torque wrench. sounds like the oil pan is warped. take it out and put on flat area, make sure all the parts are flat and touching.

when you tighten the bolts, make sure you tightem in sequence. start from the middle and go to the sides.

russiankid
01-03-2007, 07:28 AM
you need to get torque wrench. sounds like the oil pan is warped. take it out and put on flat area, make sure all the parts are flat and touching.
when you tighten the bolts, make sure you tightem in sequence. start from the middle and go to the sides.
I did the sequence and all. I really do not want to take the oil pan off again.

shepherd79
01-03-2007, 07:36 AM
you have no choice if you want to stop the oil leak.
are you sure it is coming from oil pan and not front seal?

russiankid
01-03-2007, 07:38 AM
you have no choice if you want to stop the oil leak.
are you sure it is coming from oil pan and not front seal?
Yes i'm sure it's coming from the oil pan. What i did notice is that the edges on the gasket on the rounded area are not flush with the pan. The tranny side of the engine, it's flushed with the pan. Now could that be the problem? If so, i thought of loosening the bolts and try to tuck the gasket in, but then i remember i put sealant there, so not sure now.

shepherd79
01-03-2007, 07:46 AM
the gasket is coming out? if that is the problem, you overtighten.
you need to get a new gasket and redo the whole thing.
when i did mine, i used gasket maker on both sides of the gasket all around. don't use too much, just a very thin layer. also, make sure you clean the block. any oil on the block will prevent the gasket from sealing right.

russiankid
01-03-2007, 07:49 AM
the gasket is coming out? if that is the problem, you overtighten.
you need to get a new gasket and redo the whole thing.
when i did mine, i used gasket maker on both sides of the gasket all around. don't use too much, just a very thin layer. also, make sure you clean the block. any oil on the block will prevent the gasket from sealing right.
Oh, well i guess i will let it leak. It doesn't leak much, few drops. I did clean off the surface on both the pan and the block. It doesn't look like it's over tightend, but oh well:thumbdn:. Thanks for the help.

russiankid
01-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Well i went under the car to inspect the gasket. Seems to be the gasket leaking. I got my torque wrench and tightened all the bolts to 7 ft lbs as to what the manual says. I did is in the sequence as well. They were very easy to tighten too. I drove it for a little bit and noticed that it only dripped one drop when i stopped, to where it used drop around 4 drops. In the future i will replace the gasket again but this time i will be very cautious and torque it down correctly.

MessyHonda
01-03-2007, 09:30 PM
man our cars are picky....i have to do mine soon.