PDA

View Full Version : SEi brakes

87Hybrid
09-04-2002, 09:00 AM
I got the full setup for the rear at the wrecking yard yesterday WOO HOOO!

bobafett
09-04-2002, 09:36 AM
DAAAAAAMN, how much was the bill? i am looking to do the same upgrade eventually! lmk if there is more to choose from... lol, though i doubt it!

SQ is the SQUAD
09-04-2002, 10:22 AM
i got mine for $200, it was madd easy to install

OldSchoolSwap
09-05-2002, 05:16 AM
yep! its a pice a cake!

87accordlxi
09-05-2002, 07:34 AM
you need at least the 14 inch wheels to put SEi discs on, right?

bobafett
09-05-2002, 08:59 AM
hmm, thats a good excuse to buy some wheels! i cant wait to do this one of these days... :)

87Hybrid
09-05-2002, 10:04 AM
I'll keep my eyes peeled for more.

OldSchoolSwap
09-05-2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by 87accordlxi
you need at least the 14 inch wheels to put SEi discs on, right?
No, However i'm assuming if you have DX or LX rotors, you'll be upgrading to LX-i or Se-i front rotors right? If you do, then you'll have to have 14" wheels in the front.

Rear don't matter what you put it should fit.

87accordlxi
09-05-2002, 11:41 AM
well i have LXi rotors and drums all around (duh :rolleyes: ) and i thought i heard somewhere that you need 14 inch rims in order to fit the SEi rear discs. i only have 13 inchers

markmdz89hatch
09-05-2002, 12:52 PM
ok, 87accord, what you heard is 100% correct, but only for 88-89 Accords. The 86-87 used the smaller rotors.

. . .
OK, so, after talking to a bunch of members, and other 3G owners out there, here's the list of items I came up with in order to do the swap, including upgrading to the larger rotors up front.

Rear disc assy. (from SE-i only)
- knuckle w/brackets
- hub
- lower arms
- rear calipers w/mounting brackets
- rotors&pads
- brake lines
- e-brake cables
Front assy. (from 88-89 LX-i and SE-i only)
- rotors&pads
- calipers w/mounting brackets
- brake lines
Other.
- master cylinder w/fluid resevoir (from 88-89 LX-i and SE-i only)
- proportioning valves (from SE-i ONLY)
. . .

I think that's just about it,
if I overlooked something, let me know, and I'll edit the post so that there's a master shopping list for those looking to do this conversion. ...Plus, I'm about to get started on converting mine, and need to make sure that's everything needed.

OldSchoolSwap
09-06-2002, 12:33 PM
No! That is wrong! I think he was asking about the rear rims only... right?
Well if you change the rear drums to disks the size of the rim does not matter. You can even install spare stock wheel if you want, because the rotors in the rear will always be smaller and caliper clearance will allow a smaller rim. However if you plan on doing a big brake upgrade from AEM like i'm planing on, then thats a diffrent story all together ;)

However! the front is a diffrent storry. If you have the smaller rotters witch i think you do on the 87 Lx-i has smaller fronts then the 88-89 LX-i fronts. In this case "YES" you need at least 14" wheels in front for the bigger rotor convertion.

I hope i'm clear enough :)

2Fast_Fiero
09-06-2002, 10:49 PM
markmdz89hatch,
What all would I need to do a AEM Big Brake Conversion on the front and back of my 89 LX-i?

markmdz89hatch
09-07-2002, 05:38 AM
Hey MSI, that's actually a question for Juan (OldSchool..). I've never done that before, and only know what I've read from posts by Juan on that subject. He's done the AEM big brake (rotor) conversion on the front of his, but (from what I know so far) the back is just stock SE-i for now.

1989 DX R
09-07-2002, 07:11 AM
Eventually I will try and do that, maybe in a year or so.

2Fast_Fiero
09-07-2002, 10:43 AM
Ok, Thanks Man, Call me Josh tho, We've known each other long enough. But yea, I wanna know how to get the AEM Big Brakes on front and back of my car. Or atleast some big brake conversion on all 4's

SQ is the SQUAD
09-07-2002, 07:55 PM
just a heads up, i am not sue if this was clear, if you have an 86-87 accord no matter what trim, if you wanna upgrade to sei rears you will ned to put 88-89 lix or sei fronts on because they are bigger and balance out the braking. you also need to upgrade the fronts if you have an 88-89 lx or dx

2Fast_Fiero
09-07-2002, 08:42 PM
No problem for me, I'm buying a 89 LXi

OldSchoolSwap
09-08-2002, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by MSIAccord_LXi
markmdz89hatch,
What all would I need to do a AEM Big Brake Conversion on the front and back of my 89 LX-i?
Here's the front info http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119
The back will come soon!

2Fast_Fiero
09-08-2002, 12:47 AM
I'm soo glad your helping me with this Juan. Thank You.

OldSchoolSwap
09-08-2002, 10:33 AM
Your welcome :)

2Fast_Fiero
09-08-2002, 10:51 AM
You did the O.E. Big Rotor Kit from AEM in the front with no problems, you just had to make some special parts, what do you think about the Four Piston Caliper Big Rotor Brake Kit? Think it will be the same, just diff calipers? HOPEFULLY. There is also a Civic EX Rear Big Rotor Brake Conversion, With Optional Four Piston Calipers, Are you going to do this? Because I want the Big Rotors in front and in the back from AEM with the Four Piston Calipers from AEM aon all of the Rotors, if your not going to do this, or want to do it Juan, When I buy those kits for the front and all the shit for the rear, I'll buy an extra set of one or the other, I'll email AEM and ask them which they think will be easier to Customize in thier own opinion, I also have a program about brakes that I got from these people I know that own thier own brake shop. So when I figure out this, and get what I need, want me to go up there and we can work on this project together?

OldSchoolSwap
09-09-2002, 05:44 AM
Yes, i have the O.E. Calipers.
When ever i do the rears i will also use the O.E. conversion.

I don't know how hard it may be to install the 4 pist calipers but i can always give it a try on your car. However for street purposes i think its a wais of money.
The rotor upgrade and good pads will be more than enough.

2Fast_Fiero
09-09-2002, 03:28 PM
True, but I'm trying to design the perfect car for my app, GREAT HANDLEING, I live on a VERY LONG S Curved Road, from I-40 to me its 10 Miles of S Curved road, from there there's about another 100 miles of nothing but S Curves which I love to race on, I wanna design the perfect car for it, Well lol the perfect ACCORD for it, since an Indy Cart would have a blast on my road, So I need good brakes, Very Good Brakes, but yea, I'll do the Si or SEi conversion to my car, and buy a set of AEM Big Rotors and AEM 4 Piston Calipers with the Nissin Brake Pads for the front and rear of my car, and go up there to Miami for like a vacation for a week or 2 and we'll play around with it, we'll try it on my car, if it don't work, I can get my money back from pep boys :D

2Fast_Fiero
09-09-2002, 03:30 PM
But you are right about the O.E. Calipers and good brake pads, hopefully its not that much work to swap the 4 Piston Calipers and Nissin Brake Pads with some O.E. ones for my everyday driving, just incase the AEM/Nissan is not what I want.

2Fast_Fiero
09-09-2002, 03:36 PM
http://www.aempower.com/placed/sd.gifhttp://www.aempower.com/placed/bt.gifhttp://www.aempower.com/placed/hpbp_1.jpg
Manufactured in conjunction with Original Equipment (O.E.) Japanese brake manufacturer NISSIN, AEM’s High Performance Brake Pads are guaranteed to outperform the stock pads and fit perfectly every time. A unique ceramic-aramid fiber compound provides a higher coefficient of friction which resists fading and reduces stopping distances. These pads were independently lab tested to ensure consistent hot or cold performance, shorter stopping distances and reduced pedal effort.
Key features:

Specifically engineered for high performance braking
Ideal with AEM O.E. Caliper Big Rotor Brake Kit
Use of non-ferrous metals produces non-corrosive brake dust
Low squeal properties
Light colored dust doesn’t show on wheels
Pads work with stock brake system
http://www.aempower.com/placed/hpbp_3.jpg
http://www.aempower.com/placed/hpbp_2.jpg

OldSchoolSwap
09-10-2002, 04:33 AM
Yes, AEM makes a hell of a pad. I have the rear AEM pads and front Nissin.
I have yet to experience fade with the the Nissin pads and the AEM rotor in front. Untill then, i don't think AEM's will do much better for me (as front pads that is.)

The reason i chose front Nissin and rear AEM's is because i would like the rears to get a nice firm grip as well since they are so much smaller in diameter. Sort'a giving it a chance for equal braking all around performance. All though the 12" AEM's are "monsters" and no competion compared to the tiny se-i rotors in the rear! :D