PDA

View Full Version : EFI black box removal

87preludeA20A3
01-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Ok well the topic explains everything... I want someone to tell me how to go about doing this.. I searched and only came up with the carb black box removal. I know that a few people on here have done this on there EFI and i know its probably wont be emission legal but i'm going trubo so that is out of the question anyway.. please help me.

snoopyloopy
01-03-2007, 01:31 PM
well the reason it's done on carb is because they can get away with not having quite a few of the things their vacuum lines go to. most of the vacuum lines on the efi engines are stuff that the engine pretty much can't run without, or at least shouldn't be run without. the only possible way to remove some stuff would probably be obd-1 conversion.

shepherd79
01-03-2007, 02:39 PM
you can't remove the black box without screwing up the computer. all those lines are needed.
The best way to get rid of it without setting of the ECU light is to convert to OBD-1.

87preludeA20A3
01-03-2007, 09:07 PM
can you just put the sensors and diaphrams inside the firewall, and remove the bulky stuff... I know there have been one or two guys to successfully do this.. Give me your input.

MessyHonda
01-03-2007, 10:47 PM
go OBD1 if you are going to turbo.

87preludeA20A3
01-04-2007, 01:22 AM
I'm not going OBD 1... So can someone please just answer my question... I read through some old threads and someone mentioned a "Justin" that has done this. Maybe you can direct him to my thread or maybe just tell me who he is and i'll talk to him directly..

MessyHonda
01-04-2007, 02:31 AM
I'm not going OBD 1... So can someone please just answer my question... I read through some old threads and someone mentioned a "Justin" that has done this. Maybe you can direct him to my thread or maybe just tell me who he is and i'll talk to him directly..

maybe justin86 look him up.

carotman
01-04-2007, 04:58 AM
There are a couple of Vacuum Solenoid Valves (VSV) that are needed by the computer.

They control the EGR, Vacuum Advance, Charcoal Canister. On the 87 A20As it controlls the Idle too. The MAP sensor is also inside that box.

If you want to COMPLETELY remove it, convert to OBD1.

Why?

Simply because the EGR will trigger the CEL. It's no biggie but you'll never know if another thing goes bad with the engine without acutally pulling the codes. That's not a thing you want to happen with a Turbo engine.

Now, let's say you convert to OBD1 with an 88-89 Accord intake manifold (or even better, a B16A intake).

You can get rid of the EGR and Vacuum advance stuff. Then, you can use a firewall mounted MAP sensor and use a VSV in the back of the manifold to drive the Charcoal canister. The idle will be controlled via an IACV. Voila! no more Vacuum Box. You can even skip the Charcoal Canister VSV and use a newer B series Throttlebody if you have a B16A intake. They have the MAP sensor bolted directly to the TB. The only Vacuum line left will be the 2 inch long FPR.

If you go Turbo, it will only help performance to use an Electronic Advance Distributor.

shepherd79
01-04-2007, 05:40 AM
like carot said, if you remove any vacuum lines it will send your car into cel mode and it will run like shit.

Justin (turbo Justin) had a lot of check valves. He doesn't have his accord anymore and he comes not too often.