PDA

View Full Version : Bad carb?

ahmad89
01-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Ok now as some of you know, i have a problem that wont go away, my car shuts down after awhile of driving, the rpms would slowly drop while in gear but when i shift to neutral it would drop to 0 then i would have to start it up while rolling.
Now could this be from a bad carb? i changed spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filters, intake filter. its an 89 accord DX carbed (obviously) please i need advice on how to change the carb, what kind to get or let a professional change it please help.

shepherd79
01-03-2007, 02:47 PM
you can get rebuild carb from autoparts store for a few hundred dollars, or you can rebuild it yourself.
Get yourself shop manual and look through to UNDERSTAND on how to remove and replace the carb.

ahmad89
01-03-2007, 02:57 PM
you can get rebuild carb from autoparts store for a few hundred dollars, or you can rebuild it yourself.
Get yourself shop manual and look through to UNDERSTAND on how to remove and replace the carb.
WTF is that suppose to mean. i know what to do before i work on something i dont know but i want more advice on waht to do andi want this done right. Before i even touch or start working on my engine i research about it. If you didnt mean anything by it then ignore this post im just a lil aggrivated right now and im sorry.

shepherd79
01-03-2007, 03:00 PM
it means do some searching and learning. Shop manual has all the answers.

ahmad89
01-03-2007, 03:14 PM
i am researching on it but i want to know the best way to do it, also how much would it cost to get someone to do it? i would feel more confident then me doing it.

shepherd79
01-03-2007, 03:40 PM
well, the cheapest way would be to rebuild the carb you have.
next would be to get carb from junk yard and rebuild it. this will minimize the down time.
If you deside to buy a rebuild carb from autoparts store, it won't be cheap, but again it would minimize the down time.
If you deside to take it to some one, they would have to charge you the price of the carb, the labor and some other bull shit. You probably looking at $500-600 bill right there. Plus you never know what they are going to do. Most of the time they will tell you that you need to replace more parts and so on and on. It can end up costing you $1000+

ahmad89
01-03-2007, 03:53 PM
ok how would i go about rebuilding the carb i have?

g.frost
01-03-2007, 04:47 PM
If you haven't tried it yet, I would suggest you first try using Seafoam, Techron, or Redline SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner(my favorite). At least dump a full bottle in a full gas tank and after fully warmed up do some open throttle accelerating, Italian tune-up driving. If it is running well enough to get through that tank of gas.... It's worth a try before you tear it apart. This method has worked so far for me. (88 carb at 142K miles). I went through that stumbling & rough to no idle a few years ago and Redline cleaned it up.
.....never had the carb open yet.....(yeah I know, knock on cast aluminum)

russiankid
01-03-2007, 04:54 PM
ok how would i go about rebuilding the carb i have?
If you download the shop manual, it will tell you step by step on how to take apart the carb, and what gaskets and seals to replace. You can get the rebuild kit from your local parts store, they should have it. I believe the kit is about $20-$50.

ahmad89
01-03-2007, 06:00 PM
im gonna try out the sea foam or the SI-1 fuel system cleaner, im trying to fix the problem by not taking apart the engine thats the last thing im going to do. Thank you all i will let you know when i get results. Right now i have GUMOUT fuel system cleaner in the gas tank once my tank gets really close to empty, i will put in the sea foam or the SI-1 cleaner which ever one i find first. Thanks again.

russiankid
01-03-2007, 06:06 PM
im gonna try out the sea foam or the SI-1 fuel system cleaner, im trying to fix the problem by not taking apart the engine thats the last thing im going to do. Thank you all i will let you know when i get results. Right now i have GUMOUT fuel system cleaner in the gas tank once my tank gets really close to empty, i will put in the sea foam or the SI-1 cleaner which ever one i find first. Thanks again.
If the problem goes away. It may come back, so try to get a carb from the junkyard and rebuild it. So when something goes wrong with the carb, you have a spare to put on. It's very simple to remove, you have 4 nuts and some vacuum lines and a fuel line, and a throttle cable.

ahmad89
01-03-2007, 06:14 PM
yea thats just the carb itself it would be alot better if i had a video guide, i could use my bros laptop to watch it.

i looked at the manual messy gave me and i think i just have to take off the intake and thats it right?

russiankid
01-03-2007, 08:23 PM
i looked at the manual messy gave me and i think i just have to take off the intake and thats it right?
Yes, there are 4 nuts holding it onto the intake manifold. After removing those nuts, you have a lines to remove but otherwise it comes straight off. Not that much work involved getting it off and on. It's just the tunning part that may take a while.

ahmad89
01-03-2007, 08:38 PM
thx russian but i may have found a way to fix my problem thx to ilikevtec.

i tried ilikevtecs method and bubkis didnt work at all it actually made it harder to start and died on me twice when i drove it around my neighborhood, so im going to get seafoam and carb cleaner and hopefuly that will cure my problem. will get back to you guys and thanks again for your help.

is it safe to use seafoam and carb cleaner at the same time?

MessyHonda
01-04-2007, 09:02 PM

i would use one at the time.

shepherd79
01-05-2007, 05:20 AM
yes it is fine. you can use them at the same time. Done it a million times.

ahmad89
01-05-2007, 07:10 AM
ok thx. i will get some tonight.

ahmad89
01-05-2007, 01:07 PM
today i hate my car even more, when i left school it died on me right after i left the parking lot, then died on me three more times on the way home, when i would press the gas it felt like i down shifted. my gas an temperature gauges are way off. Gas gauge tells me its past empty and the temperature gauges keeps moving it moved way passed the cold and then went up near host and then went to the middle. When i put the a/c on the car dies. iono whats goin on. im going to buy carb cleaner tonight and get seafoam and ima gonna clean the hell outta that carb, its gonna be so clean you can use it as a plate. If that doesnt stop my problem then iono what to do....why does this happen to me, every car i got it messes up last car i had the engine overheated and the head cracked, the car after that i got into a major accident with.
EDIT: when i put the ac on it idles lower russiankid tells me that the boost valve isnt working where can i find it?

now i ask alot of question but i wanna take every precaution and make sure i do it right, when im cleaning the carb do i just spray the carb cleaner inside the carb and the linkages? then do i start the car and let it run for 5 min or somethin?

Toneloc5145
01-05-2007, 04:25 PM
While your under the hood, I would check for vacuum hose leaks or cracks. I can almost guarantee that you have at least one. When I was putting my intake on, I found a couple of damaged hose, and once I replaced them, the car ran better to me.

And I usually spray the carb cleaner with the car running.

ahmad89
01-05-2007, 04:45 PM
ok thx

i cleaned the carb with carb cleaner and seafoam it idled alot smoother but havnt driven it yet, will let yall know if it stalls. I wanna thank everyone who helped me with my problems and sorry if i angered you from my stupidity.

ahmad89
01-05-2007, 10:02 PM
well after i cleaned the carb i let the car sit for half an hour to an hour, then i drove it to a gas station not far away like 5-7 min at the most, the car dies on me, then it tried to die on me again awhile afterwards but i saved it somehow by pressing the gas and then letting off and pressing the gas again and it was reving along with the gas. Thats the only time it did that, it was normal on the way home. I spoke with russian kid and i told him that two of my spark plugs wont fully screw in, tomorrow i will check out the threads and the spark plugs and get a gap measure.

The car didnt die on me when my brother and i drove it for about half an hour, it ran perfect, smooth. When we got home i told him to pop the hood and we saw smoke, we looked under the car saw radiator fluid leaking. It was from the overflow tank or bottle.

shepherd79
01-06-2007, 10:46 AM
are you sure it is from overflow tank? was it spraying under pressure?
if it was, check your radiator hoses (upper and lower) and also check your radiator.
best way to do it is just let it sit and idle untill the leak comes back. this way you can see where it comes exactly.

ahmad89
01-06-2007, 12:02 PM
we checked it and its from the overflow tank my bro said it wasnt dripping much it was slowly dripping.

shepherd79
01-06-2007, 12:43 PM
it is probably too full. take it out and dain it.

Remedy
01-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Sorry if these questions are insulting or have been answered already, but to help you move in the right direction there are some things that can either be known or assumed.

Is your ignition timing correct at factory spec idle as outlined on the sticker on the bottom of the hood of your car?

Is your idle steady? (no variation in rpm... steady exhaust output)

What does a vacuum gauge read when connected to your manifold vacuum at idle?

Has the engine been overheated?

Does it get hot when its stalling out?

Any noises that have turned up in the engine compartment like maybe a water pump chirp or a belt slipping squeal.

Do you have to add coolant monthly/weekly/daily?

Do you have to add oil between changes?

Exhaust have a color when the engine is warm white/ blue/ black?

You mentioned changing the spark plugs, the recommended plugs are also on the hood sticker as well as the correct gap. Do not use anything other than what is recommended for best results. I missed whether you replaced the cap and rotor, if you did was there anything foreign in the dizzy like red dust or oil?

If you don't have a timing light or a vacuum gauge, you need to either buy some tools or buy a mechanic's time.

ahmad89
01-06-2007, 07:11 PM
tonight im going to clean the carb again and fully clean it, then check out the recommended spark plugs and gap sizes tomorrow and probably take apart the distributor.

Michael Cote
01-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Ok now as some of you know, i have a problem that wont go away, my car shuts down after awhile of driving, the rpms would slowly drop while in gear but when i shift to neutral it would drop to 0 then i would have to start it up while rolling.
Now could this be from a bad carb? i changed spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filters, intake filter. its an 89 accord DX carbed (obviously) please i need advice on how to change the carb, what kind to get or let a professional change it please help.
If you live in an area with a cold climate and it's damp and around the freezing temperature you may be icing up the carb. If freezing is a possibility then check heat stove pipe and make sure snorkle flapper is closing almost completely while the car is running. If freezing isn't a concern, check fuel filters. Good luck.

ahmad89
01-09-2007, 08:58 PM
well i found out that my car has two carburetors thats all i know so far.

MessyHonda
01-09-2007, 09:02 PM

i dont think so...it has a dual barrel design tho

shepherd79
01-10-2007, 06:37 AM

it is a single carburator with 2 barrel design.

You just proved it again that you know squad about cars. let the mechanic do the work.

ahmad89
01-10-2007, 07:15 AM
Did i forget to post that my car is at a shop? well its been at the shop since yesterday and they're working on it and figuring out whats wrong. So yea shepherd i my dad told me that the mechanic said that it has two carbs and why are you trying to make me look stupid you act like you know everything about cars. if you really knew everything then you would know what my problem is, if not then stfu and give me useful advice and help.

Vanilla Sky
01-10-2007, 07:44 AM
there is a chance that he has a prelude engine in the car. around here, i've seen LXi's in the junkyards with carbs, so why is it such a surprise to possibly have a prelude engine in his car? remember, those DID come dual carbed.

shepherd79
01-10-2007, 07:47 AM
Did i forget to post that my car is at a shop? well its been at the shop since yesterday and they're working on it and figuring out whats wrong. So yea shepherd i my dad told me that the mechanic said that it has two carbs and why are you trying to make me look stupid you act like you know everything about cars. if you really knew everything then you would know what my problem is, if not then stfu and give me useful advice and help.

you know what, the machanic you have doesn't know shit about 3G accord.
US version of Accord never came with 2 carburators. It is 1 carburator, Keihin the brand, and has 2 barrels.
I am not making you look stupid. i am trying for you to realize that fixing cars is not your thing.

PS. This is my second accord. My first one was carburated and I worked on it night and day. So don't tell me to shut up, our engines are very tricky. anything can set off avalanch of problems.

I tried to help you, but you are one big prick. So don't fucking even bother asking for help from me.
Good luck with your car, i hope that mechanic knows how to fix hondas.

shepherd79
01-10-2007, 07:50 AM
there is a chance that he has a prelude engine in the car. around here, i've seen LXi's in the junkyards with carbs, so why is it such a surprise to possibly have a prelude engine in his car? remember, those DID come dual carbed.

it is possible that he has prelude engine, which means he has A18 engine. 1.8L engine. they are even harder to figure out how all the vacuum plumbing works.

MessyHonda
01-10-2007, 08:35 AM
it is possible that he has prelude engine, which means he has A18 engine. 1.8L engine. they are even harder to figure out how all the vacuum plumbing works.

he posted pics and the engine one looked like it had a kehin carb.....its just a 2 barrel desing...so only one opens but when you floor it the 2nd one opens to flow more air and power

POS carb
01-10-2007, 09:06 AM
lol "flip mode is the greatest!"

hey ahmad in my experience the best thing to do is find an auto junkyard that allows you to go in and remove your own parts. You will learn a lot doing this and if you mess up at least it is not your car.
It will be easier to go to one of these and pull out another carburetor. Get the exchange warranty. Install it in place of yours and it should run very different if you had an issue. if the carb does not work then go back and yank another one. They're like $25. That is cheaper than a rebuild and there is less you can fk up. Try and get one from a car that hasn't sat catching rain in the engine, also crashed cars are better (that means they still ran when they were put to rest, unlike perfect cars, anything in the engine could be broken, especially the carb/emmissions stuff)
The hardest part will be hooking up all the vacuum lines but you'll get the hang of it by the 2nd or 3rd time :) The stock lines have numbers. Replace anything with a crack or hole. Take pictures, download the shop manual from www.pauldesign.ru for vacuum lines, they have diagrams for the 1.8 (dual carb) and the 2.0 (single carb) engines
Good luck.

ahmad89
01-10-2007, 10:49 AM
your biggest prick in this forum shep, you shouldnt be bad mouthing me in the first place. I can think of atleast 10 people who should be a mod instead of you.
Anyway back on subject, i will find out more when i hear from my dad or bro and i will keep yall up to date thankyou everyone.

ahmad89
01-10-2007, 02:55 PM
ok i picked up my car today and i jsut have to keep it under 3k rpm and be easy on the gas and i have to put premium to clean it out and get an engine seal.

MessyHonda
01-10-2007, 03:35 PM
ok i picked up my car today and i jsut have to keep it under 3k rpm and be easy on the gas and i have to put premium to clean it out and get an engine seal.

so the mechanic did not fix it?

russiankid
01-10-2007, 04:11 PM
so the mechanic did not fix it?
The mechanic, according to what ahmad told me, said that when giving a lot of throttle, the carb gets clogged with dirt. My opinion on this, is that that shouldn't happen, fuel filters are there for that.

MessyHonda
01-10-2007, 04:24 PM
The mechanic, according to what ahmad told me, said that when giving a lot of throttle, the carb gets clogged with dirt. My opinion on this, is that that shouldn't happen, fuel filters are there for that.
yeah even if you have low flow level dirt would go in and in high level also. i would check all the vac lines.

well the easy way is to spray carb cleaner on the vac lines that go to the carb and black box and if your idle changes that means a line has a leak...and replace it. also spray around the carb to see if you dont have leaks.

ahmad89
01-10-2007, 04:32 PM
problem is i dunno where the vac lines are

A18A
01-10-2007, 04:51 PM
problem is i dunno where the vac lines are
lol.... they are pretty much all those smalkl hoses

cygnus x-1
01-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Sounds like maybe there is crud built up in the carb's float bowl. It's probably also varnished up as well. Some fuel system cleaner in the gas tank might help, or maybe some Seafoam. Best would probably be to rebuild the carb, but that's not a job for the inexperienced. And most shops probably wouldn't even touch a carburetor these days.
Which seal needs to be replaced?

C|

ahmad89
01-10-2007, 06:28 PM
i dunno but im goin to buy this sealant thing tonight or tomorrow.

where can i get my vacume lines tested and checked? or do i have to do it myself?

MessyHonda
01-10-2007, 09:27 PM
yeah to test it out just spray some carb cleaner and see if the idle changes...

ahmad89
01-11-2007, 07:12 AM
when i spray carb cleaner in the carb the idle drops for a second but i keep spraying it the engine would die.

Vanilla Sky
01-11-2007, 08:09 AM
you spray the cleaner on the hoses, not into the carb.

i'm sure if you lived close to any of us, we'd show up at your place and help you out.

ahmad89
01-11-2007, 10:43 AM
lol i wish yall did i live all the way in houston,tx the directions on the can says to spray it in the carb and then in some hose for throat cleaning.

Vanilla Sky
01-11-2007, 10:47 AM
you're using the cleaner to detect vacuum leaks. the directions on the can are to clean the carb, not find leaks.

spray down your vacuum hoses with the carb cleaner. when the idle changes, you found the leak. replace that hose and check the rest of the lines.

ahmad89
01-11-2007, 11:19 AM
ok so just unplug one end and spray the cleaner in there? and does autozone have vacuum lines?

MessyHonda
01-11-2007, 11:25 AM
ok so just unplug one end and spray the cleaner in there? and does autozone have vacuum lines?

that is a good way to clean them out but you need to spray it over and if you have a leak it will show since the line would not hold vac. first spray it.....DONT UNPLUG them since you might not put them back right and your whole car will run crappier or not at all

ahmad89
01-11-2007, 11:28 AM
that is a good way to clean them out but you need to spray it over and if you have a leak it will show since the line would not hold vac. first spray it.....DONT UNPLUG them since you might not put them back right and your whole car will run crappier or not at all
Then how do i check for leaks?

MessyHonda
01-11-2007, 11:30 AM
spray the bare lines and see if you idle changes.

racerrck
01-11-2007, 01:55 PM
the spray will seal any vacuum leaks for moment and cause your engine to rev slightly, pay attention where your spraying when the idle changes that is the hose also spray around the gasket at the base of the carb and the one where the intake contacts the engine Good Luck PS don't go off on shepard he does know his shit his posts have saved my ass more times than i care to admit

ahmad89
01-11-2007, 07:21 PM
i'll do it this weekend im burrently busy with work and its night time when i get home.
PS i only went off on shep cause he went off on me, what he said was uncalled for.

ahmad89
01-12-2007, 07:37 AM
tomorrow i will test for leaks and if i find a messed up hose i will put duct tape on it to mark it. thanks for the help.

2oodoor
01-12-2007, 07:47 AM
i'll do it this weekend im burrently busy with work and its night time when i get home.
PS i only went off on shep cause he went off on me, what he said was uncalled for.
I believe you went off on him first, you have several times went off of one of us and had to come back and apologize. Just go back on all of your recent threads and re-read them, I did. So do not blame others for your impatience and ignorance with your own car. Good luck with your car BTW
Everybody here has done nothing but try to help you and you seem like you do not want to listen to anybody. No need to reply

ahmad89
01-12-2007, 08:00 AM
im bored in class so ima reply, i have listened to everyone who has helped and i appreciate it very much, also sometimes when i went off on someone i was very angry at that moment.

MessyHonda
01-12-2007, 09:41 AM
im bored in class so ima reply, i have listened to everyone who has helped and i appreciate it very much, also sometimes when i went off on someone i was very angry at that moment.

some times it takes time and patience to get what you want...and people that have been working on cars also help to.

ahmad89
01-12-2007, 10:43 AM
i am patient, i check the forums at school and home and i use my car everyday. I may have been impatient sometimes but im really patient.

ahmad89
01-14-2007, 05:05 PM
tomorrow morning im taking it to a honda dealer and my dad knows a guy who will ride with me and see what the problem is.

ahmad89
01-15-2007, 11:34 AM
well the dam car wouldnt start for some reason, probably because its too cold since we might get sleet or ice today.

ahmad89
01-16-2007, 07:55 AM
well to keep yall updated, its freezing in the lower 30's and in my county were going into an ice storm watch, which means we might get icey roads and possibly snow. My car starts up fine now ever since i jumped it and i will take it to the dealers ASAP.

cygnus x-1
01-16-2007, 07:44 PM
Don't get discouraged; keep at it. And let us know what the dealer says. It might also be useful to get a written estimate for the repairs they think are needed.

C|

ahmad89
01-17-2007, 05:11 AM
The weird thing is my car hasnt died on me at all yesterday. In the morning i drove to school, nothing, after school i drove to work which is across town on the east side of houston(20 min drive) car didnt die at all and i kept it under 3k rpm and trust me takes a long time to get up with the flow of traffic. Im glad my car didnt die on me at all yesterday but i think if i drive it in my normal way it would so ima keep driving like i am now until i get it to the honda dealer.

ahmad89
01-17-2007, 07:24 PM
i took it to the dealers today and the car didnt die on me for two days so it didnt die when he drove it. Then on the way home from work it died 4 times, when i tried to start it back up the lights would dim and when it started and revved high the lights brightened up.

russiankid
01-17-2007, 07:28 PM
i took it to the dealers today and the car didnt die on me for two days so it didnt die when he drove it. Then on the way home from work it died 4 times, when i tried to start it back up the lights would dim and when it started and revved high the lights brightened up.
Well lights dimmed while start up because you were using the battery for the starter and the lights. So that would explain the dimming. High revving is normal for a carb i guess, mine does that as well when turned on even if the engine is hot.

ahmad89
01-17-2007, 07:38 PM
it revved high from me pressing the gas.

russiankid
01-18-2007, 04:45 AM
it revved high from me pressing the gas.
You set the choke most likely.

ahmad89
01-18-2007, 07:11 AM
yea thats what the guy from the dealer told me.

ahmad89
01-18-2007, 08:57 PM
my older bro is 90% sure its the ignition, yall know a place to get them and install them? i mean the ignition where you insert the key and start the car.

ahmad89
01-22-2007, 07:22 AM
today i was driving my car to school and it died on me like 4 times. I was down the street from my school and it died so i pulled over into the walgreens parking lot and i tried to start it up but it wouldnt start up, it kept trying and the rpm needle kept moving back and forward between like 0-100 rpm. So i pushed it to the back and walked to school. After school ima walk there and see it will start up, i hope it does.

While i was driving to school, i felt the car was about die again becuase when i pressed the gas it felt like it downshifted and the rpms dropped then when i left off the rpms go back up. When i pressed the gas and let off and repeated the car didnt die, i was kind of shocked and i shifted back into D4 and i kept driving, a few minutes later it died. This is really annoying, i have to find an ignition, please anyone help.

Oh and i wanted to tell shepherd this on aim he was always away, sorry man it was my fault i took your words as an insult when i was angry and frustrated. So im sorry.

ahmad89
01-22-2007, 04:47 PM
ok today after school the car didnt start at all then me and my parents towed it to the honda dealer and its there now and i just got home. will keep yall updated.

Remedy
01-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Yep, you got a bad car. One time I posted on a internet forum and asked for help, but no one helped so I made another topic but still no one could help. People offered all kinds of advice, but in the end I had to figure out wtf was wrong. I still don't know what is wrong and its been 6 months and about 30 posts to different Honda forums. If your car aint fuel injected, there just ain't alot of help out there. I get alot of "its twenty years old man, let it go". I wonder what Cuban auto mechanics think of that attitude. Anyway Ahmed I feel for you bro, but ultimately I think you need someone who can look into your engine bay and put tools on the nuts and bolts. Even then you may have trouble getting help for such an old car in a country where 10 years is a long time to keep a car. Last week I was at the junk yard and even they are getting short on parts for our cars... I got what I needed but there werent any extras.
Yeah so its admirable that you want to work on your car, but there are times when you gotta just admit that you're in too deep. Maybe you are a talented mechanic or maybe you don't know the diffrence between a impact socket and a twelve point box end. Bottom line is you can't ask people to draw you pictures of where you might need to look for problems and then loose your cool when they tell you to RTFM. We all have to use the manuals and its insulting to be asked repeatedly for information that is availible for you to read on your own. In the world that most of us live in asking someone for the answer to a question to save yourself the trouble of reading it is about as good as asking for a date with their sister. Don't be suprised if they are offended, but then again you might get a date.

ahmad89
01-22-2007, 06:34 PM
jesus another one, first my name is ahmad i dont see how you still can make that mistake but its ok, second i have apologized to everyone that i insulted. I know im not a good mechanic i just know a lil bit about cars, compared to some of you i dont know anything, I have taken everyones advice into consideration but we decided to play it safe and take the car to the dealers. Now people pelase stop posting about me insulting others or how i repeatedly ask the same question and etc. etc. thank you

skycam_313
01-22-2007, 07:17 PM
the first thing is the car is too old for the dealers...... you want a solution to the problem:violin: .... well so do i. im gonna rebuild my carb, but from the experience ive seen from u..... id recommend to just buy a rebuild @ the parts store.
but.... in case ur inclined.... heres the thread u need
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5350 post #7
(u only need to remove the top hat to clean the dirt)
AND USE THE SEARCH!:rant: http://www.3geez.com/forum/search.php :deal:

ahmad89
01-22-2007, 09:23 PM
i did search for a topic with my issues and didnt find any so enough with the search crap. Im sure its not my carb it seems more of an electrical problem.

skycam_313
01-22-2007, 10:43 PM
well im just sayin... our carbs have a couple issues.... and mine is havin problems
when it was fully rebuilt just a year ago..... dont count it out, cuz i have wasted a lot of time and money because i overlooked the carb.

...and just so u know.......... carb cleaner= $2
blank gasket= $2.50
top hat work= couple hours
working car= priceless

skycam_313
01-22-2007, 10:47 PM
in case it is an electrical.... id say dist. soooo...... 1 of 2.... find it maing!

ahmad89
01-23-2007, 07:12 AM
i cleaned my carb many times when i get my car back thats the first thing im gonna do. I need to do a vacuum test is there a shop that does that?

skycam_313
01-23-2007, 08:38 AM
maybe you sprayed carb cleaner ON it.... but you gotta open it up to make an impression on the problem ur havin

ahmad89
01-23-2007, 10:51 AM
i dont know how to properly take the carb apart so i dont wanna mess with it or mess it up.

skycam_313
01-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Did u look at the thread i pointed you to!?

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5350 post #7

it takes 5 min....

i understand u dont wanna mess ne thing up.... but thats easy

Remedy
01-23-2007, 01:17 PM
i dont know how to properly take the carb apart so i dont wanna mess with it or mess it up.
Good idea... next step is to call the shop and find out what is wrong with your car... I am sure there are plenty of things to fix
If you want advice about which repairs to complete and which ones to skip... Im sure someone here will be more than happy to advise you.
If you really want to learn how to care for a car to lessen the chance of breakdowns, read the owners manual that comes with every new car. If you don't have that, buy the $20 Haynes manual for your car and read the first chapter.

ahmad89
01-23-2007, 01:25 PM
i'll look into doing that thanks both of you.

ahmad89
01-23-2007, 07:47 PM
dad called me and they said that the fuel pump is dead and they have to order one from japan will come in tomorrow.

ahmad89
01-24-2007, 01:19 PM
im going to pick it up today and will let you guys know whats goin on.

skycam_313
01-24-2007, 01:54 PM
keep us posted.... btw i found out that my problem was a loose booster venturi...... and i looked right past it

ahmad89
01-24-2007, 08:06 PM
well the fuel pump was the problem. Its been replaced and i picked it up after school, they did some test drives before they gave us the thumbs up and i had to go to work today which is about a 20 mile drive on highway. car did not stall at all and started right up. had no problems just need to change the transmission fluid and brake fluid. thank you all once again for the help and advice i really appreciate it. Unfortunately my dad wants to sell my car and our van so i can get a newer car and my mom get a new car. Thank you once again.

skycam_313
01-25-2007, 10:51 AM
:welcome: your 3 gee will last longer than a new car anyway...... its called love:thumbup:

MessyHonda
01-25-2007, 11:15 AM
:welcome: your 3 gee will last longer than a new car anyway...... its called love:thumbup:

i heard you fixed your carb prob....want to look at mine...and il give you a ride on my lx-i...LOL

ahmad89
01-25-2007, 08:50 PM
got a new problem, oil light comes on when im stopped and in gear, i checked the oil level was a lil under the 2nd whole put a quart in and still does it. Think its the oil pump.

skycam_313
01-27-2007, 06:59 PM
no prob messy... always wanted a ride in an lxi neways

skycam_313
01-27-2007, 07:03 PM
btw i got a new one too..... i was on the freeway on my way to school (wyotech), and i hit a big ass pothole. :banghead: bent something, now the left front wobbles like its not bolted on right:mad:

Remedy
01-28-2007, 03:44 PM
If you have free balance/rotation for your tires, take your car in and ask to have that wheel rebalanced. You either moved/lost a weight or bent the rim. They will be able to tell when they go to spin it.

MessyHonda
01-28-2007, 07:01 PM
btw i got a new one too..... i was on the freeway on my way to school (wyotech), and i hit a big ass pothole. :banghead: bent something, now the left front wobbles like its not bolted on right:mad:

dude we should meet up...i also go to school in fremont YO!

ahmad89
01-28-2007, 07:10 PM
mods need to close this thread lol

skycam_313
02-01-2007, 01:12 AM
btw right front is missing a weight...... ima check to see if its it