PDA

View Full Version : Transmission flush?

ahmad89
01-04-2007, 07:33 AM
i have an 89 accord DX carbed, it shifts rough and i want to do a transmission flush. I need to know some things, where,what, and how many transmission fluids to get, where do i drain the old fluid, where do i fill up the transmission with fluid?
I know i dont know much about this car but im learning more about it already. Thankyou.

snoopyloopy
01-04-2007, 07:36 AM
1. go to the auto parts store and buy a hayne's manual for 1984-1989 honda accord.
2. look at this thread (wow, it even has the same title!--search next time): http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57228

ahmad89
01-04-2007, 07:41 AM
i read that threa but its for a different model so i thought it would be different or something wouldnt be the same. I just wanted to make sure that i know how to do everything properly and get the proper parts so could you or someone else just tell me?
EDIT: ok get honda ATF fluid, when i get home i'll download the haynes manual.

actually i'll just check out the haynes manual when i get home and if i cant find what i need in there i will let yall know thanks.

snoopyloopy
01-04-2007, 08:04 AM
i don't believe you can actually download the hayne's manual free. and by time you buy the rights to download it (assuming you can even do that) and print it, you might as well just go to the store and buy it. you can download the shop manual from http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html. but then you still have to print it out. but it's up to you. but if you were to get a manual, you would realize that there are only two transmissions available, no matter the model. a 5-speed manual or 4-speed auto.

shepherd79
01-04-2007, 09:19 AM
if you are going to do it yourself you have to get Honda ATF. any other oil can mess up even more.
or you can take it to a dealer and let them flush it out on the machine

2oodoor
01-04-2007, 09:22 AM
if you are going to do it yourself you have to get Honda ATF. any other oil can mess up even more.
or you can take it to a dealer and let them flush it out on the machine
all things considered, this would be the best way to do it
time is money, money is time
Maybe your dealer already has a package deal for this service that would save you money on the flat rate.

ahmad89
01-04-2007, 10:41 AM
If i go to the dealer ima get raped plus i dont learn anything from letting them do it. Isnt it like changing the oil?

MessyHonda
01-04-2007, 11:09 AM
yeah get the manual and do it your self...it should not take more than a hour

2oodoor
01-04-2007, 11:18 AM
If i go to the dealer ima get raped plus i dont learn anything from letting them do it. Isnt it like changing the oil?
Depends on your dealer really. I have been a tech for a long time and I still prefer to send certain things out for one reason or another.
It is kind of like changing your oil, except there is no filter, and you must be very cautious not to over fill it when you put oil back in. It is crucial that the car be level when you start to put oil back in , and then just put in a little at a time untill you have the correct level. There is no way to 'flush' all of your fluid out like they do at a dealer, with out a flush machine.
There is a way if you want to but a couple extra quarts of fluid, it is risky somewhat. You follow the same guidelines as you would by flushing a power steering system.
It is probably best to just drain and refill with correct fluid and then wait a couple hundred miles and re drain and refill again.
Honda Fluid only!
although I have heard you can use Dexron 3 with Mighty auto parts synthetic M-V supplement which converts the fluid to a synthetic blend, that is a little bit but not much less expense wise. There are other synthetic stabizers out there, plus syntheic brands that claim to be compatable to Honda's.
Read up on the procedure , recommended stongley
ALSO, CHECK THE MANUAL FOR CABLE ADJUSTMENT, and ensure you have a good tune up. The transmission throttle cable adjustment significantley affects your shift points and quality.

ahmad89
01-04-2007, 11:26 AM
ok so how many quarts do i put in and where do i put in the fluid? also i can buy the honda ATF fluid at like autozone or walmart?

snoopyloopy
01-04-2007, 01:38 PM
no and no for those two places of purchase. at least for me, i can never find genuine honda atf at autozone, kragen, wal-mart, etc. they'll just direct you to a dexron-3 fluid.

shepherd79
01-04-2007, 02:03 PM
honda ATF can only be bought at honda dealer.
if you are going to do it yourself you will need a case of Honda ATF.
You have drain the oil you have now.
fill up with new and drive it for a while to the oil to mix with what is left in torque converter. After that you have to drain it again and fill it up again.
drive it again and check the oil for the color and level. it should be purple color. If the color is brown or dark do it again and again untill you get all the old oil out. that is the hard way.

Easy way. take it to a dealer. pay them. wait some time. pick it up and drive home. they have a machine that will do a day or two of manual work in about 15-20 minutes. Last time i did on my wifes car it cost us $120 and 30 minutes of my time. It was well worth it.

Vanilla Sky
01-04-2007, 02:22 PM
my problem is that i get stuck in second gear when the car is warm. it's been diagnosed as one of two valves being stuck. would a trans flush help with something like that?

another problem i have is when the trans is really hot, the trans will slip out of gear completely. it'll fall into first (not second) and take off after i rev the motor up a bit. could this also be caused by those sticking valves?

ahmad89
01-04-2007, 03:37 PM
i'll just take it to the dealers but i need to fix my carb first.

2oodoor
01-05-2007, 07:32 AM
ok so how many quarts do i put in and where do i put in the fluid? also i can buy the honda ATF fluid at like autozone or walmart?
Ahmad89, most of us here really have good intentions of providing knowledge and help for those who ask, but you must make some effort on your own. YOur responses on this thread and another one, make it seem like you are not sincere about making an effort to learn it, rather you would prefer to just stay on the computer and not actually go out and do anything. It is understandable that you may not have the money to do all the things to your car you would like, as many of us here are in the same boat, and you like to discuss things so you have it streight in your mind what it is you really want to accomplish. So to everyone, please excuse this post if you find it offensive , it was not intended to offend or embarass anyone.
Even after being offered very good advice on several previous posts, Ahmad89, you ask the question "where do I put the fluid?", or "I need a video of how to do it" which I find to be a bit discouraging when we are trying to offer help.
That said, there is a Honda Shop Factory Manual available for download here, which is a very good, and hey....A BONUS this is a special reference normally not readily available to the general public.
As for your transmission concerns, your last post shows you finally decided to follow the best of the advice you found here and take it to Honda for the flush, which I am very glad of because it may have been a little over the top for you to try yourself at this point, the same goes for your carburator concerns. If you are having serious carburator issues, your transmission function is directly affected.
I certainly to not mind offering advice and opinions, so feel free to ask, but please show respect to those helping you by acknowledging previous advise and following a line of conversion that shows progression and enhancement to what you were given previousley inside your question thread. Thanks

mavric240
01-05-2007, 09:28 AM
Just to throw out my two cents, several people on this fourm are not very nice to poeple that are new to the world of tuning. Some come from a place of I know you dont so your stupid. This is not right. Some people process information differenlty then others and at different speeds. So some patience is the best course. With that said some people are looking for someone to hold thier hand and do it for them, thats not right either.
And to note my Local Honda dealer wont flush my 89 Accord cause it has too many miles on it (220000)and they are afriad it might hurt the tranny. So for those of us that dont have a dealer as an option we have to make due and find another way. And thats my point of view!:rockon:

2oodoor
01-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Just to throw out my two cents, several people on this fourm are not very nice to poeple that are new to the world of tuning. Some come from a place of I know you dont so your stupid. This is not right. Some people process information differenlty then others and at different speeds. So some patience is the best course. With that said some people are looking for someone to hold thier hand and do it for them, thats not right either.
And to note my Local Honda dealer wont flush my 89 Accord cause it has too many miles on it (220000)and they are afriad it might hurt the tranny. So for those of us that dont have a dealer as an option we have to make due and find another way. And thats my point of view!:rockon:
See, I can respect that Point of View. I am very patient, Im a dad.. lol

BTW I love that Dodge in teh avatar, do you have it featured anywhere>?

ahmad89
01-05-2007, 10:47 AM
i do respect everyones advice on here i respect everyone on here..I have taken everyones advice into consideration, which is why today im going to buy seafoam and carb cleaner. So thank you for your advice once again.

shepherd79
01-05-2007, 12:20 PM

damn, what kind screw up dealer you got. If my dealership told me that i or my friends would never deal with them again.

if dealers won't do it, take it to place that have flush machine. you can buy Honda ATF and tell them to use it instead other crap.

Remedy
01-06-2007, 12:50 PM
You can buy genuine Honda ATF online or from the dealer, its about $3 a quart and my car takes close to 4 qts for a change. I suggest you purchase enough to replace the fluid no less than 2 times. As suggested download the service manual and read the drain/fill procedure. Also check the fluid capacity in the manual so you know how much to add before you need to start checking the level. There is a drain plug on the side of the tranny, fill it back up through the dipstick hole. Just like an oil change, drive the car to get the fluid hot before draining. After filling up, start the car, move the shifter through all positions, shut the car off, wait for the fluid to drain back and recheck the level. Drive your new fluid for a few days and repeat the process.
Your shift problem may be related to the throttle cable adjustment. If you fiddle with the throttle cable to your carb, you will need to check/adjust the throttle cable to the tranny. There are 2 measurements you must verify in order to get your car to shift at the right throttle position. This information is also in the service manual.
Hope this helps