PDA

View Full Version : Painted my trim.

russiankid
01-04-2007, 05:11 PM
So the trim on my bumper was faded, so i painted it today.
Here's a before pic. I masked everything off and you can see what the trim looked like.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/russian03rustler/DSCF0005.jpg
And here's the finished product.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/russian03rustler/DSCF0004chopped.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/russian03rustler/DSCF0005-1.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/russian03rustler/DSCF0008-2.jpg

Cheeseburger
01-04-2007, 05:17 PM
sexy!!!!

russiankid
01-04-2007, 05:19 PM
sexy!!!!
:rockon:

Cheeseburger
01-04-2007, 05:20 PM
are u going to paint all of the trim?

russiankid
01-04-2007, 05:26 PM
are u going to paint all of the trim?
Probably as time comes. I'm not sure how to get the trim off the doors. If i knew how, i could do them some time this weekend.

Cheeseburger
01-04-2007, 05:26 PM
u know i never really painted my trim. i used some tire shine and it staid on ever since

russiankid
01-04-2007, 05:27 PM
u know i never really painted my trim. i used some tire shine and it staid on ever since
Mine is so faded that it doesn't work that way.

Pico
01-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Looks Great.
Just mask off the door trim and paint it. Lot easier than trying to remove them, at least that's what I did, I mean what my wife did when she painted my door trim.

You're paint is CLEAN

russiankid
01-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Thanks Pico. The paint isn't that clean, just since it's gold it doesn't show much. I did manage to chip the paint just now, which im upset about. But i will let it dry for a few days, then i will touch it up. Otherwise im pretty happy with th results. The door pieces can wait on the painting, but thanks for the advice.

mastaofdisasta
01-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Looks pretty good, when i did mine i just left everything on the car, mine didnt turn out as glossy as urs, mines more flat black, but i didnt take the bumper off or anything, but i did spray my lisence plate on accident

ghettogeddy
01-04-2007, 07:30 PM
ya i didn't even take my bumpers off just masked and paperd the hole car lol well the middle lol
it was easy and well worth it

russiankid
01-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Well i took mine off, made life easier.
Pic with the face missing.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/russian03rustler/DSCF0004-1.jpg

mastaofdisasta
01-04-2007, 07:39 PM
i was too lazy to take the stuff off, id like to shave my side moldings, but im lazy. what paint did u use?
\

russiankid
01-04-2007, 07:41 PM
i was too lazy to take the stuff off, id like to shave my side moldings, but im lazy. what paint did u use?
\
At first i used Duplicolor Bumper trim paint. But after it dried it wasn't turning out well so i sprayed a coat of satin black Duplicolor paint and that did the trick.

ghettogeddy
01-04-2007, 07:56 PM
At first i used Duplicolor Bumper trim paint. But after it dried it wasn't turning out well so i sprayed a coat of satin black Duplicolor paint and that did the trick.
see see see and u all thought i was crazy about the satin black hell ive done everything ive painted black on my car in satin it comes out the best

russiankid
01-04-2007, 07:58 PM
see see see and u all thought i was crazy about the satin black hell ive done everything ive painted black on my car in satin it comes out the best
Satin black FTW! Even tho i chipped it today:rant:. I will it dry for 3 days until i touch it up.

ghettogeddy
01-04-2007, 08:01 PM
man i did mine in one day no prep no primer and i hae yet o thave any probs with it

russiankid
01-04-2007, 08:06 PM
man i did mine in one day no prep no primer and i hae yet o thave any probs with it
i primered mine. But stupid me was putting tire shine on the trim, and my nail chipped the dam thing. It chipped because it's still fresh. Oh well, stuff happens.

A18A
01-04-2007, 08:29 PM
that looks nice, i like how it shines.. if you wanna take off the door trims, you gotta take off the inside door panels and theres little clips holding it on i think

russiankid
01-04-2007, 08:32 PM
that looks nice, i like how it shines.. if you wanna take off the door trims, you gotta take off the inside door panels and theres little clips holding it on i think
Thanks! I talked to my brother and he said i may break a clip trying to get the trim off, so i don't want to go buy new ones. So i will have to think of something else.

MessyHonda
01-04-2007, 08:38 PM
yeah DONT take your side trim off...cuz the clips will break...i say just mask it off sand it down and use some primer and it should look good...the front does look new tho...hehe.

russiankid
01-04-2007, 08:43 PM
yeah DONT take your side trim off...cuz the clips will break...i say just mask it off sand it down and use some primer and it should look good...the front does look new tho...hehe.
Thank! I need to think of a better way to mask off some areas. Because on the bumper, i tried to mask of the top part of the bumper from the trim, and it's a bit rounded. So when it came time to take the masking tape off, it lifted the paint, but good thing the paint wasn't dry all the way and it just settled back down and looks fine. there is one area i need to touch besides my chip, but otherwise its ok. At least better than what it was.

mkymonkey
01-04-2007, 09:10 PM
i had no problems taking my trim off...well i did break one clip or two...but the good ol five finger discount at the JY fixed that. I did it the way that OD said. Take your interior off...it IS a lot of work to just take the trim off though. i had to take the front and rear panels off to get to the clips. since they just snap on all you do is squeeze with some needle nose pliers and push at the same time. then they just pop off. its really easy....once you take the whole fucking interior off. i took my car apart to paint it soooo thats why i took everything off. but im sure you just want to paint the trim and be done with it. so i say your best bet is to just mask it

have fun...and the car looks great! :thumbup:

MessyHonda
01-04-2007, 09:24 PM
i had no problems taking my trim off...well i did break one clip or two...but the good ol five finger discount at the JY fixed that. I did it the way that OD said. Take your interior off...it IS a lot of work to just take the trim off though. i had to take the front and rear panels off to get to the clips. since they just snap on all you do is squeeze with some needle nose pliers and push at the same time. then they just pop off. its really easy....once you take the whole fucking interior off. i took my car apart to paint it soooo thats why i took everything off. but im sure you just want to paint the trim and be done with it. so i say your best bet is to just mask it
have fun...and the car looks great! :thumbup:

that wont work....i tired to do it and the doors have a metal strip down the center and you cant get to the clips on a sedan..idk about coupes tho....but yeah...in autobody class we learned how to mask...always use long stipes of tape....we learned how to do curves and werid window shapes...it was a fun class....i might go back to see if i can start working on my lx-i or finish my dx.

mkymonkey
01-04-2007, 09:26 PM
it worked for me ^^^^^

MessyHonda
01-04-2007, 09:30 PM
it worked for me ^^^^^

thats good to know...but not in sedans.

mkymonkey
01-04-2007, 09:49 PM
thats because i havent tried it :D

A18A
01-04-2007, 09:55 PM
works for me tooo :)

Civic Accord Honda
01-05-2007, 10:39 PM
i just painted my front bumper too i left it on and just wiped and sanded off any paint that got on the bumper

Cheeseburger
01-05-2007, 10:47 PM
thats because i havent tried it :D
:violin:

russiankid
01-06-2007, 09:03 AM
i just painted my front bumper too i left it on and just wiped and sanded off any paint that got on the bumper
Wouldn't it be easier to mask it off then having to go back and wipe paint off of paint?

MessyHonda
01-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to mask it off then having to go back and wipe paint off of paint?

yup...old newspaper FTW

Civic Accord Honda
01-06-2007, 05:40 PM
i masked most of it off with newspaper but i ran out of tape and i had to sand the oil off the top of the bumper anyway i really want a 86-87 bumper