This is probaly a stupid question....

What is a sway bar?

:confused:

1989se-i
09-04-2002, 10:43 AM
:stupid:

Mike89Accordcom
09-04-2002, 03:40 PM
Helps with cornering, driving, and staying low to the ground. I have a strut bar and notice huge diff when driving.

AZmike
09-04-2002, 04:06 PM
a SWAY BAR (not strut tower bar) helps keep the car more level when cornering. It works by connecting both sides of the car's suspenion together with a bar that works as a torsion spring. When turning, one side of the car will go up and the other will go down. This difference in suspension positions twists the sway bar (it's working to keep the car more level). If the sides are doing the same thing (like a speed bump) then the sway bar does nothing since there is no difference between the position of the left and right suspension. All our cars came with a front sway bar, the FI models have a larger front bar (harder to twist) and a rear sway bar.

A strut tower bar reduces the amount the car's frame flexes at the strut mounts by connecting them with a brace above the engine (front), or in the trunk (rear).

tyne89
09-04-2002, 04:28 PM
i have an lx and an extra front sway car. does any know how hard if possible would it be to make it fit on the rear?

tyne89
09-04-2002, 04:30 PM
oh and i believe the Se-i models came with bigger front and rear sway bars

1989se-i
09-04-2002, 06:56 PM
cool, thanks alot :D

OldSchoolSwap
09-04-2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by tyne89
oh and i believe the Se-i models came with bigger front and rear sway bars
The Lx-i and Se-i have the same front and rear sway bars, they are the same thickness.

Fact is that the Lx-i and Se-i have thicker front sway bars than any model DX and LX. Yes you can install LX-i and Se-i sway bars (thicker) to an LX or DX model.

LX and DX do not come with rear sway bars. Rear Lx-i and Se-i sway bars will also fit DX and LX models as well.

Here's an old thread i posted about sway bars http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4362

Jims 86LXI HB
09-05-2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by tyne89
i have an lx and an extra front sway bar. does any know how hard if possible would it be to make it fit on the rear?

Not possible, it's totally different. You have 3 options. 1. go to a junk yard and pull a rear sway bar, mounts, and links off a LXI (cheap and real easy to do, btw). 2. Purchase a rear sway bar from Suspension Techniques, it will be 1/8" thicker than a LXI rear bar. 3. go to a junk yard and pull a rear sway bar, mounts, bushing and links off a LXI and send it to sannerprefab and have them make you a 3/4" or 7/8" copy, it would cost $180. 3/4" is the same size as the addco rear bar that is not avaible at this time (or anytime soon for that matter). Each option will increase your rear roll stiffness, which will reduce your cars understeer or it's tendency to push around corners.