PDA

View Full Version : Motor Oil

shakakan
01-05-2007, 11:06 AM
While I have my own opinions about Motor Oil, I was wondering what everyone is running in their 3g?

I will start off

Supertech non-syn 5-w30

Supertech non-Ecore filter

5000 Oil Change Interval

I drive between 80-120 miles per day

Next oil will be MobilClean 7500 5-w30 (on sale)

Oil after that will probably be Tropartic 5-W30 (1.65 a quart)

Oil filters will be one more supertech followed by a years worth of Advance Auto (purolator premium plus) filter ( they are currently buy one get one free)

If you guys haven't figured out from the above, I am a bit of an oil addict:nuts:

89T
01-05-2007, 11:20 AM
I was told that the absolute best non-syn oil wal-mart brand. go figure.
the best syn oil is mobil1. 5-w30

MessyHonda
01-05-2007, 11:43 AM
i get free oil from my uncles shop...i think its 76....as long as your change it every 3000 miles you should be fine.

Pico
01-05-2007, 12:00 PM
10/30 Royal Purple Synt. Oil
I commute 100 miles a day so I change oil once a month

shepherd79
01-05-2007, 12:12 PM
regular mobil 10w40 (that is what Honda motor oil is anyway, it says right on the bottle if you go to a dealer).
filters: either bosch, mobil (when i have money) or STP (my choice). they all have superior constraction comprared to OEM filters.

russiankid
01-05-2007, 12:12 PM
I use Mobile One drive clean 5000 10w30. i have no problems with this oil and the car runs great. I commute about 10-20 miles a day, so i change it every 3 months or less.

russiankid
01-05-2007, 12:14 PM
regular mobil 10w40 (that is what Honda motor oil is anyway, it says right on the bottle if you go to a dealer).
filters: either bosch, mobil (when i have money) or STP (my choice). they all have superior constraction comprared to OEM filters.
I second the Mobile filters. I used to always put in Purolator oil filters. Now i put in a Mobile filter in there, and my valve pinging or tapping has stopped. So im sticking with Mobile.:)

shakakan
01-05-2007, 01:36 PM
I am still waiting for someone to say a 10-w30 is thicker than a 5-w30. I'll fell that tree when we get there

russiankid
01-05-2007, 01:42 PM
I am still waiting for someone to say a 10-w30 is thicker than a 5-w30. I'll fell that tree when we get there
it is thicker. That's why 5w30 is used in cold climates, so the engine can heat up quicker and so can the oil.

shakakan
01-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Nope, not necessarily. The first number is an indication of viscosity at a specific temperature. The caveat to this is that for each grade, that temperature is different, meaning a 5 weight is expected to pour at a lower temperature than a 10 weight. This means that at the same temperature, a 5 weight may be, and many times is thicker than a 10 weight. Here is the listed viscosity for some popular oils in both 5-w30 and 10-w30 (these numbers are taken from the manufacturer) A higher number indicates a thicker oil. All of these are cSt at 100 C.

10-w30 5-w30
Pennzoil Conventional 10.9 10.9
Mobil 7500 10.8 10.9
Mobil 5000 10.4 10.6
Mobil 1 10.0 11.3
Mobil 1 EP 10.7 11.0
Bear in mind that there are plenty of oils out there that are not this way, I am just trying to iterate that the first number in a multi grade oil does not necessarily dictate what the actual viscosity is, only the oils ability to flow at low temperatures, which is a very good thing. This is why we are beginning to see 0-Wxx oils on the market, most of which are darn good.
The perception that a thicker oil is somehow better at protecting an engine is largely false in this day and age. What is critical, however, is the ability to pump the oil while it is cold, providing lubrication at startup.
Supertech is by far not the best dino oil out there. There are plenty of oils out there that have a much better add pack. That said, when your oil change interval is 5000 miles, with 95% highway driving, any oil that meets spec will provide excellent protection, and its cheap. Thats a good thing too.

89T
01-05-2007, 02:11 PM
The viscosity grade (for example, 5W-30) tells you the oil's thickness, or viscosity. A thin oil has a lower number and flows more easily, while thick oils have a higher number and are more resistant to flow. Water has a very low viscosity

Multi-weight oils (such as 10W-30) are a new invention made possible by adding polymers to oil. The polymers allow the oil to have different weights at different temperatures. The first number indicates the viscosity of the oil at a cold temperature, while the second number indicates the viscosity at operating temperature.

Viscosity is ordinarily expressed in terms of the time required for a standard quantity of the fluid at a certain temperature to flow through a standard orifice. The higher the value, the more viscous the fluid. Since viscosity varies inversely with temperature, its value is meaningless unless accompanied by the temperature at which it is determined. With petroleum oils, viscosity is now commonly reported in centistokes (cSt), measured at either 40°C or 100 °C (ASTM Method D445 - Kinematic Viscosity).

so they say.

Cheeseburger
01-05-2007, 02:23 PM
i use nacho cheese..

shakakan
01-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Exactly, thank you clarifying 89. Multi grade oils are normally made by adding a pour point depressant (PPD) to the base oil. These additives work by limiting the size of wax crystals that form when an oil is cooled. The smaller the crystal, the thiner the oil. There are many different PPDs, each with specific properties, and suited to a particular type of base stock.

mmmmmmmmm..... Cheese