PDA

View Full Version : the coil wire? please help me again..

ahmad89
01-07-2007, 02:37 PM
I found the coil wire in the manual, i repalced it, would replacing the ignition help my problem? and if so what brand to get?
I have an 89 accord DX 2dr carbed, problem is car keep shutting off while im driving.

Vanilla Sky
01-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Ok, to clear this post up a bit...

ahmad has a problem with his car. it stalls while he's driving. he took the car to autozone and they said that it could be an electrical problem. i recommended that he take it to advance and have the starting/charging system tested, then to come back with the results from that.

right now, i'm leaning towards a carb issue, perhaps a vacuum issue. he performed a visual inspection and didn't find anything. i informed him that since we're working with rats nests, that he easily could have missed something that's not really visible.

do any of you have any advice to offer?

89T
01-07-2007, 07:58 PM
well i am not the carb guru but it sounds like the float is sticking in the carb.

ahmad89
01-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Oh how do i know if the float bowl is working properly?

ahmad89
01-08-2007, 07:35 AM
57 views and only two people helped come on please i need to fix this asap.

2oodoor
01-08-2007, 08:06 AM
I found the coil wire in the manual, i repalced it, would replacing the ignition help my problem? and if so what brand to get?
I have an 89 accord DX 2dr carbed, problem is car keep shutting off while im driving.
Ok so you found the coil wire in the manual, does that mean you found it on the car?
You ask if replacing the ignition would help. Ignition what, there are many components.
Please, be more specific of exactley what you have checked, or not checked for proper functionability, It helps us to help you ahmad89
I think you should strickley and carefully follow the advice you are getting, double check everything twice or more. Be specific as to the conditions the car and engine are under when the malfunctions occur. Right now I have to summerize you may have a main relay about to go out, going by all of your recent posts of the problems you are having. A Main electrial connection other than your battery posts, over on the passenger side of the engine compartment there is a black box with a removal cover. Your relays are there, you should inpect your fuel pump and main relays by pulling them out like a fuse, and inspect them for discoloration from where they may have gotten real hot.There is a technical section thread that tells you how to test them with a DVM, additionally you should touch the main and fuel pump relay exactly when the engine dies out so you can get a clue if they are giving too much resistance. This is just an assumption from what you have been saying, and I could be wrong.
Also, I assume you have replaced both fuel filters, distributor cap and rotor button. Just like we have said, you should familierize yourself with the engine compartment with the manual. There is a section that identifies where stuff is and what it looks like, This way you can get the help you need faster. From a previous thread, you came back with a reply of "where is the coil wire" after all that had been said in response to your original question, it was alarming you came back with that question. A lot of members have provided you with helpfull information and you come back with questions that make me think you are not understanding a dime of it. That may be preventing you from getting more information from them because they think they may not be helping you.:)
The Float bowl has a "window" you can look thru that has a pointer where the level should be as the car is running, find the window ahmad89 and see what it is supposed to look like, and then go out and look at it when the car stalls.

ahmad89
01-08-2007, 11:03 AM
well i found out that there is more then one coil wire, that goes from the distributor to the ignition at the passenger side of the engine bay. That is the one i replaced and i have yet to replace the distributor cap and the rotor. When i get back from renewing my license i will look for the float bowl, after the car has been running it should be at the line or empty? About the main relay fuses, i will check those out too and check for discoloraton, what color should it be? a silver metal color like the other colored fuses? Im sorry if it seems like i have ignored the help you have given me but im trying to make sure that i understand what you are trying to say, and i really do appreciate your help and advice.

shepherd79
01-08-2007, 11:09 AM
there is only one coil wire and 4 spark plug wires.
replacing all the wires, distributor cap, rotor button and spark plugs may or may not fix the problem. but it would be a good time change them anyway.

as far as carb goes, i think you need to rebuild it or replace it.

PS. your car has way too many problems.

ahmad89
01-08-2007, 11:22 AM
only has two.

shepherd79
01-08-2007, 12:21 PM
only has two.

what are you talking about? are you talking about the two plugs that connect to the coil?
those have 2 wires in each plug.
You can replace the coil, but i don't think it will work in your situation.

Rockcord
01-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Ok, to clear this post up a bit...
ahmad has a problem with his car. it stalls while he's driving. he took the car to autozone and they said that it could be an electrical problem. i recommended that he take it to advance and have the starting/charging system tested, then to come back with the results from that.
right now, i'm leaning towards a carb issue, perhaps a vacuum issue. he performed a visual inspection and didn't find anything. i informed him that since we're working with rats nests, that he easily could have missed something that's not really visible.
do any of you have any advice to offer?

I had that issue, but with my car it had several different things... 1st was, my cat was falling apart and going AND staying in the resonator, which would cause almost complete loss of power at times because of the non-flow of exhaust. Also my wires and coil weren't in good condition so I replaced those (as well as a rebuilt carb from other issues) and My car is running tip top, never has run better! and I have absolutly no skill at all and I did all of the work except the carb...

Blkblurr
01-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Are the lights going out on the dash when this happens? If yes, it could be your ignition switch contact block. Very easy to replace.

ahmad89
01-08-2007, 01:56 PM
well the car this morning was low on oil somehow cause i heard a metal to metal sound and then the oil light came on, when i was trying to park in my space at school the car died when i would put it in gear with the oil light on. Today after school i got some oil and filled it up, when i start it theres ALOT of white smoke comming from the exhaust and from under the engine. I just need to get it to a mechanic but im scared it will die on me in the middle of the road.

tomsmith
01-08-2007, 03:02 PM
well the car this morning was low on oil somehow cause i heard a metal to metal sound and then the oil light came on, when i was trying to park in my space at school the car died when i would put it in gear with the oil light on. Today after school i got some oil and filled it up, when i start it theres ALOT of white smoke comming from the exhaust and from under the engine. I just need to get it to a mechanic but im scared it will die on me in the middle of the road.

i'm thinking it's either a blown head gasket or a cracked head. since you said the smoke is coming from under the hood too, i'd go with the cracked head. lookin like you're gonna need a new engine or a rebuild done. sorry man. and as for getting it to a mechanic, call a tow truck.

POS carb
01-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Hello Ahmad
I need to know:
when the car shuts off, do the other items remain functional (does the radio stay on, the lights, etc?)
when it shuts off is it immediate (as if you turned the key off) or is it more gradual (car begins to idle erratic, hesitate, stumble)
is there any smoke or strange smells when it stops?
can you turn it back on easily? do you need to wait to turn it back on? when it does turn back on, is it normal or does it run poorly?

Anyways to be honest I don't think it matters anymore because from your last thread I think you blew the head gasket.

ahmad89
01-08-2007, 03:28 PM
yea i dont think it matters im taking it to a mechanic today waiting for my brother to come home so we can tow it there cause i dont feel safe driving it there. i just wanna thank you all for your time and effort to help and im sorry if i have angered you or hurt you in anyway.

Rockcord
01-08-2007, 03:39 PM
yea i dont think it matters im taking it to a mechanic today waiting for my brother to come home so we can tow it there cause i dont feel safe driving it there. i just wanna thank you all for your time and effort to help and im sorry if i have angered you or hurt you in anyway.

Sorry maing, had to rebuild my baby about 13000 ago, so good luck, I ended up doing alot more than just the rebuild, and I wish I would have done a swap for the money we put down for it, but whatev, I know your pain brotha

ahmad89
01-08-2007, 05:13 PM
thx man and the smoke went away while me and my bro were driving it to a shop that the guy was suppose to leave us the key to put the car in the back, the smoke stopped but the overflow tank keeps boiling and smoking and the car keeps shutting off, the problem that it was smoking because i had too much oil, stupid me:bong: tomorrow my bro is gonna take it to the shop and have them check it out.