PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions from a n00b

Kitsuneracer
01-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Hey guys,

I have an 89 SE-i 2 door accord with 179k on it. My check engine light comes on after driving for a while and I haven't had the time to check the code due to school and work... *posting this from school... on a sunday*

I've got new plugs, cap and rotor, oil and filter.. do you guys know what else it could be? I have 2 new O2 sensors in the car... I haven't installed them yet because our apartment complex doesn't allow you to work on your cars here. What else should I investigate?

This car sat for 6 months not running until I got my hands on it.. I'm slowly getting it back into good shape and eventually I'm hoping to start upgrading stuff.

Thanks in advance!

-Josh

jschatte
01-07-2007, 08:35 PM
wow... 2dr SE-i's are kinda rare, is it an auto or a manual?

lol i just had to ask im sorry i cant help you out

A18A
01-07-2007, 08:55 PM
maybe try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it after a few minutes or so?

MessyHonda
01-07-2007, 10:55 PM
yeah check your code...thats the best way to narrow it down insted of buying a bunch of parts that are not it.

Kitsuneracer
01-10-2007, 02:12 PM
jschatte, its an auto... I hate it :P stupid transmission is messed up and either shifts extremely early or extremely late...

azazel_18_2
01-10-2007, 02:16 PM
If you were close and wanted to do soemthing about the auto I would help you. I have all the required equipment and could get a good swap for $150. Check the code and we should be able to tell you what is wrong. Usually a code 1 will be o2 sensors. Just thought you should know. Also, do not get the two mixed up. I got mine mixed up and it ran like bad.

jschatte
01-10-2007, 02:22 PM
jschatte, its an auto... I hate it :P stupid transmission is messed up and either shifts extremely early or extremely late...
oh that sucks

Kitsuneracer
01-10-2007, 02:35 PM
I have new O2 sensors... I just can't get the damn things in there...

How much do you think it'd be if I brought them to a mechanic place near me and handed them the O2 sensors and said "Install them please?"

POS carb
01-10-2007, 02:37 PM
there is an LED on the computer (under the driver's seat), count the flashes and that will tell the code

CODES -> http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185

snoopyloopy
01-10-2007, 02:47 PM
there is an LED on the computer (under the driver's seat), count the flashes and that will tell the code
CODES -> http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185
what he said. and there are quite a few things that could be wrong. so without any more input from you, we can help you just as much as you can help yourself. and screw the complex rules. you're not going to be draining any fluids or anything anyway. and as long as they aren't rusted into the manifold, the old ones should come out and the new ones go right in. it should be a fairly quick and easy job.

azazel_18_2
01-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Real easy. Takes a 7/8 wrench not the 15/16 socket that Autozone will try and sell you or lend you. It should take no more than 5 minutes.

MessyHonda
01-10-2007, 03:34 PM
when was the last time you changed the fluid in your tranny?

Kitsuneracer
01-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Never... I just got the car... it had been sitting at the owners for like 6 months prior...

Tranny fluid looks clean
I noticed if I put the gas down to the floor before I put the key in and start the car, the car gets stuck in 1st gear or shifts extremely late... I think it might be the lever that tells the tranny where the throttle is at so it knows when to shift.. maybe its getting stuck?

shepherd79
01-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Never... I just got the car... it had been sitting at the owners for like 6 months prior...

Tranny fluid looks clean
I noticed if I put the gas down to the floor before I put the key in and start the car, the car gets stuck in 1st gear or shifts extremely late... I think it might be the lever that tells the tranny where the throttle is at so it knows when to shift.. maybe its getting stuck?

Tranny cable may need some adjustment. Also, you should take it somewhere to flush the tranny. Honda dealer is the place to do it.

why do you keep the gas pedal to the floor? it should start without touching it.

ghost103
01-10-2007, 05:47 PM
wow... 2dr SE-i's are kinda rare, is it an auto or a manual?
lol i just had to ask im sorry i cant help you out

If Only You had a 2dr SE-i-R. even more Extra rare.

MessyHonda
01-10-2007, 07:23 PM
If Only You had a 2dr SE-i-R. even more Extra rare.

se-i-r?

mkymonkey
01-10-2007, 07:43 PM
lmao @ se-i-r

89l_x_i
01-10-2007, 07:50 PM
[QUOTE=shepherd79]Tranny cable may need some adjustment. Also, you should take it somewhere to flush the tranny. Honda dealer is the place to do it.

Thats the last thing you want to do to an old tranny that you have no history about the service. Unless the tranny fluid has been flushed every 30k miles since the car was bought, dont do it. Just changed the oil. A tranny flush at this many miles would pretty much kill your tranny.

azazel_18_2
01-11-2007, 06:20 AM
If the tranny is already dying it wouldn't hurt to try. I have heard of flushing a tranny fixing a tranny but I have also heard of it destroying a tranny. If it is already dying I would go for it! If you do it yourself BE SURE AND USE HONDA AFT

Kitsuneracer
01-16-2007, 07:37 PM
I don't hold the gas to the floor before I start it, I'm just saying, that if I mess with the gas pedal, which in turn should move the tranny cable, the car shifts much much later under almost no throttle (sometimes not at all). The car starts fine otherwise.

In other news, we just had an ice storm up here and someone bumped my car and shifted the fender back so the driver's side door catches on it. :( How sucky :(

89 Ex-i
01-17-2007, 08:59 AM
that sucks

LX-incredible
01-17-2007, 12:16 PM
When you change the tranny fluid, take a clean, narrow, teloscoping magnet and insert it into the drain hole and to the right. This is where most of the metal shavings accumulate. You will be susprised what you get. I use valvoline max life ATF with about an ounce or two of brake fluid added. Before I started using this I was going through a quart a week, now it doesnt leak at all and the shifting has improved.