PDA

View Full Version : break-in procedure, do it quick, or do it slow

newaccorddriver
01-07-2007, 08:51 PM
well, ive read an article that tells me why i should beat the shit out of an engine during the break-in procedure. ive also heard that the break-in procedure is one that lasts 1500kms where the engine isnt stressed and doesnt see a high load.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/breakin.php

im stumped on what i want to do. my machine shop says i should take my time to break in my engine properly, but the 2 articles above, use that process all the time and have achieved good results. im not one thats in a hurry or anything, but i think 5500rpm in 3rd gear would be within a speeding ticket range. another thing i really have to keep in mind is that im planning on running megasquirt. if i were to break in right after the engine is put in, i would have to use the stock ECU and everything. if i were to break in the slow way, then i would have enough time to setup megasquirt and tune it properly and such rather then rushing it and possibly leaning out a freshly rebuilt engine.

anybody have any recommendations as to what i should be doing?

88Accord-DX
01-07-2007, 09:37 PM
I personally don't care for the 'beat the shit' out the engine break in procedure myself.

Engine break-in is done mainly to seat & seal new piston rings. It also aids initial wearing in of other components under controlled conditions. After allowing the engine to warm-up at a fast idle, take the car for initial break-in drive.
Generally, accelerate the car to about 45 mph. Then release the accelerator to about 20 mph. Do this several times while carefully watching engine temperature & oil pressure.

Avoid prolonged highway driving during the first 100-200 miles. This will prevent ring friction from overheating the rings & cylinders, possibly causing damage.
Do not worry about oil consumption untill the first 2,000 miles of driving. It will take this long for ring seating.
Change the oil at 50,100,500,&1,000 miles to help remove any particles in the oil. Don't use synthetic oils during this break-in period.
Check the engine oil & other fluid levels frequently.

Vanilla Sky
01-08-2007, 04:03 AM
i like the idea of fast break in for an engine that will see a limited service life, such as a racing engine. I don't think that the rest of the rotating assembly and the valve train is given proper wear in using the fast method.

the one thing i didn't know was the frequency of oil changes with rebuilds. i knew not to use synthetic, as synthetic won't allow the rings to seat and the bearings to wear in.

one question to ask is this. if you're just doing a head job, should you take it easy for the first amount of driving to wear all of the moving parts in the head in?

Legend_master
01-08-2007, 10:14 AM
The hard break in procedure has to do with the advancements in honing and other machining procedures, but if your show told you to break it in slowly then you should do that. Listen to the shop since they are the ones that will have to replace anything you break.