PDA

View Full Version : New Idea for my trunk...

Rockcord
01-08-2007, 04:10 PM
ok, I thought of this today while i was bored in class... I will draw out a pic when I get some time, but im not the best at artwork...

My trunk is bleh at best, with the leaks and this stupid piece of cardboard under the carpet... doesn't fit correctly and it's waterlogged and warped, and when I have any amount of weight over 10 lbs is caves in...

SO! I had this idea today, weld a 2-3" piece of metal on the back of my trunk (near the back of the seats) and put a hinged system on it, connecting ot a carefully cut piece of sheet metal that fits the trunk to access my spare tire, which would eliminate my stuff falling into that tire area, and I think it would be 10000% better for accessability and look too!

offthahook
01-08-2007, 07:44 PM
ok, I thought of this today while i was bored in class... I will draw out a pic when I get some time, but im not the best at artwork...
My trunk is bleh at best, with the leaks and this stupid piece of cardboard under the carpet... doesn't fit correctly and it's waterlogged and warped, and when I have any amount of weight over 10 lbs is caves in...
SO! I had this idea today, weld a 2-3" piece of metal on the back of my trunk (near the back of the seats) and put a hinged system on it, connecting ot a carefully cut piece of sheet metal that fits the trunk to access my spare tire, which would eliminate my stuff falling into that tire area, and I think it would be 10000% better for accessability and look too!

It would work. Obviously, you would weld it to the trunk floorpan. Make sure you would have clearance to open this flap and get to the tire or just make a pin system where you could remove the whole panel. Yeah, that cardboard is junk, esp. after it gets wet. You could make a better one out of thin plywood, but water and wood are the lose when mixed. If your trunk leaks, the plywood would warp as well. You could haul bags of concrete with no sag if you put a steel sheet back there. Of course your suspension would hate that!

MessyHonda
01-08-2007, 07:52 PM
i just make a piece of wood shaped as the trunk...my cardboard one got wet and when i was chaning my fuel pump i put a big hole in it..so i went out with 20 bucks got me a piece of cardboard and a hack saw and i shaped it the way i needed it.

Qthestuntman
01-08-2007, 07:58 PM
get your leak fixed and then put some plywood in there. watch out if you weld because of the gas tank. I do not do any welding on the in side of any car unless the gas tank gone or empty.

Rockcord
01-08-2007, 08:03 PM
get your leak fixed and then put some plywood in there. watch out if you weld because of the gas tank. I do not do any welding on the in side of any car unless the gas tank gone or empty.

thank you for that warning, If I go through with it, I will take the necessary pre-cautions, but I really would prefer sheet metal, just for my likings, but thanks for all of the input :)

MessyHonda
01-08-2007, 08:16 PM
thank you for that warning, If I go through with it, I will take the necessary pre-cautions, but I really would prefer sheet metal, just for my likings, but thanks for all of the input :)

it would vibrate alot if you have subs.

Rockcord
01-08-2007, 08:40 PM
the carpet will still be on it, I'm gonna wrap it all up and pretty, It shouldnt be too bad...

MessyHonda
01-08-2007, 08:44 PM
the carpet will still be on it, I'm gonna wrap it all up and pretty, It shouldnt be too bad...

yeah or just coat it in rubber

denhonda
01-09-2007, 10:22 AM
The spare whl covering/false floor is made of a sheet of corragated plastic on 2gees here. Very simple but doesn't warp or anything.

Get the water ingress fixed before the floor rots out. Strip every boot trim out & get in the boot with a torch & get somebody to run a hose over the whole area. Check the n/s/r inner arch for a rust hole.

When I get my finger out, I'll take & load up pics of my first 2g with its mega-rusty bodywork.

2ndGenGuy
01-09-2007, 10:36 AM
yeah or just coat it in rubber

Or just get rubber trim edging from an autobody supply store, and put it around the outside of the sheet metal. It will look nice and get rid of any noise.

Rockcord
01-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Or just get rubber trim edging from an autobody supply store, and put it around the outside of the sheet metal. It will look nice and get rid of any noise.
but the carpet will be there...???

ghettogeddy
01-09-2007, 12:19 PM
it all sounds good i was thinking about doing something liek this so i can mount amps in the spare tire well

BITESIZE
01-09-2007, 12:33 PM

Gas tanks, blow up when they are empty. You want to weld while they are full.:thumbdn:

Qthestuntman
01-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Gas tanks, blow up when they are empty. You want to weld while they are full.:thumbdn:wtf:

hummm...let me think. 12gal or none next to a hot flame or arc.

i will go with none and be on the safe side.

MessyHonda
01-09-2007, 01:02 PM
wtf:
hummm...let me think. 12gal or none next to a hot flame or arc.
i will go with none and be on the safe side.

FIREWORKS!

denhonda
01-09-2007, 02:03 PM
An empty gas tank with all that explosive vapour inside is a bad thing to weld near! Is it really worth the risk? Essential for the tank to be removed IMO if welding right beside it.

For welding an actual tank I think they clean it out as best they can, then fill it with sand IIRC, before going ahead.

Qthestuntman
01-09-2007, 07:25 PM
If you put dry ice in the tank it gets rid of the flammable fumes. A friend of mine welds tanker trucks all the time and told me about it to day.

Civic Accord Honda
01-09-2007, 10:04 PM
sweet idea :)

2ndGenGuy
01-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Well you might not want to do this, but when you weld motorcycle tanks, you fill them up with water. The problem is when there's air in the tank. I've even heard you can weld on a full tank so long as theres no air inside it to mix with the fuel.

Vindicted_Reprise
05-02-2007, 09:43 AM
that's a great idea, that could solve the smell problem too, that crappy board thing always stinks when it's wet.:bandance: