PDA

View Full Version : Best Mod, Ever

1989se-i
09-04-2002, 12:22 PM
The reson I got my 3G is cause the headlights. They are bitchin, and the chicks dig em. What I've always wanted to do to my baby, is hookup a switch that will flip one headlight.

Why, you ask? Ever look at the front of our cars? Looks kinda like a face, the headlights as the eyes. If you could get one to flip up and down, it would like like its winking.

Might be kinda fun to wink at chicks on the road... Just a thought.

Anyone got any info on the headlight flip-up-and-down mechanism?

:pimp:

markmdz89hatch
09-04-2002, 12:39 PM
finally.... ...someone who thinks the same way I do!

I'm all about that one! So the only way that I could think of doing this is to get a kit for "wig-wags". This is extremely illegal, b/c it's only supposed to be available for police/emergency vehicles, but if you could get your hands on a wig-wag kit, you might be able to make this happen. Just incase anyone's wondering, the wig'wag's are what make the headlights alternate on-&-off.

If anyone's done this, for pete's sake, speak up dammit!!!

....and Andrew, don't want to hear it...
...I know that yours kinds does it without the kit, but I'd be a little worried about one of your motors if i were you...

1989se-i
09-04-2002, 12:44 PM
Excellent.
:)

2Fast_Fiero
09-04-2002, 12:50 PM
HeHe, I can play with the lil switch that flips up the light, and make the lights dance, I can make one pop up, then that one will close when the other one pops up, then I can make one blink, just tap the lil switch that flips the lights up a lil bit, and you'll start ticklin her tonsils HeHe, me and my friends get a good laugh at that when I make her eyes blink.

1989se-i
09-04-2002, 12:51 PM
I got it! Kinda....

Heres what I came up with: Trace the wires from the headlight-popup switch, to where it splits into 2 wires (for each headlight) Cut one headlights wires, and reroute it to another switch (foglight, cruise control, or any other switch noone ever uses)

....i guess that would werk.... but only when ur lites arent on.... maybe... Help..

1989se-i
09-04-2002, 01:39 PM
Howd you get it to blink??!?!! I must knoooww!!!

:help:

markmdz89hatch
09-04-2002, 01:41 PM
by using a 13yr. old headlight motor....

MSI... ...be careful, that might be an indication of a soon to be defunct motor if you keep on playing with it like that

1989se-i
09-04-2002, 01:55 PM
Doesnt anyone know how to do this?
:(

Im werking on a solution, but im not sure how they popup in the first place.

any wiring information would be greatly appreciated. :p

Mike89Accordcom
09-04-2002, 03:43 PM
The flip-ups are cool, nice and sporty is also why I love my 3rd Gen. I also liked the sharp coners the car has in front and back.

89AccordNate
09-04-2002, 03:47 PM
Push the button on the dash half way in but dont push it all the way in so it stays in over and over again. Once you get a good rhythm going the system gets a little out of wack and the headlights will go up and down out of synch, it takes a tad of practice.... :)

Nate.

1989se-i
09-04-2002, 05:48 PM
What im trying to do is to have a switch that will make the left head light go up and down, and a switch that will make the right one go up and down...

markmdz89hatch
09-04-2002, 06:09 PM
tell ya what....
...I'll break out my electrical kit, and go to napa and home depot, and check out a mag. from the fire dept. that I use to belong to, and see if there is a kit that I can install to do this painlessly. I'll have to see what I can do.

...be sure that as soon as i figure it out, I'll post any of the secrets i uncover.

1989se-i
09-04-2002, 06:53 PM
Most excellent dude :super:

Dutchboy
09-04-2002, 08:01 PM
You could always disconect one of the leads from the switch on the dash. or find the lead to one of the lights....so that when you hit the button on the dash for the lights only the one will pop because only one would get power....right????

just a thought...

Ben

2Fast_Fiero
09-04-2002, 09:10 PM
No its not dude, I said I knew the special touch, if I press the button YES it works like it is supposed to with no heasitations
but I don't do that, but you would have known that if you read what I wrote, I said that I can hit it soo fast off and on a certain way that one light will pop up, then the other light then the other, back and fourth, making them dance.

2Fast_Fiero
09-04-2002, 09:12 PM
lol exactly nate HEHE

1989se-i
09-05-2002, 10:24 AM
I got the wiring diagram for the switch:

Not much of a diagram, hehe :p

4 wires, 2 for the LED, 2 for the headlights. 4 wires total. gotta find out where they split.

The headlights work by a) normal current=headlights up, B) Reverse that current, headlights down

Anyone know where the wires split?

markmdz89hatch
09-05-2002, 11:24 AM
Now MSI, electrical is fairly straight forward. Just as mentioned in se-i's post, there are only 2 options for that switch, normal or reverse, that's it. ...so that means, if the switch is engaged; that means headlights up. That means normal current on the wires=power to the motor to "flip" the lights. If the switch is disengaged; reverse, and guess what that means... DOWN. now, if you "play" with the switch, you're basically telling the motor to open and close before it's completed it's full range of movement of either completely closed or completely open. So it it's on its way to close b/c the switch is disengaged, then you engage it, it'll try and flip back open before completely shutting. It's the headlight motors' job to respond to the current it has at that particular point in time.

So, if you begin to see them "dance", that means that one of the motors has a little more hesitation in it (it's slower to open/close than the other). Sure you don't notice any hesitation when you just turn your light on, or off b/c it's such a small amount of hesitation, but once you play with that button, and designate each to do the same task rapidly, you begin to notice that hesitation.

...and yes I DID read your post.
I would not reply to your post without reading the whole thing thank you!

I'm done, I said my peace.

1989se-i --> Thanks for that info on the wiring, that'll help me once i go to try something out. ...and I'm sorry about making your thread into a debate. With any luck the debate's over now.

1989se-i
09-05-2002, 07:28 PM
Tomorro ill be figuring out the rest of it :p

Hopefully...

3G Jester
09-06-2002, 09:00 PM
WOW i was litterally thinking aobut this same thing last week....then i come on here and here it is!!! shizznizzle..wow..weird...anyways!!! im working on it too!!! good luck to us all i guess---who ever gets it post how !!!!!! id love to wink at a cutie ;)

1989se-i
09-06-2002, 09:43 PM
winking at chicks=kick @$$

Heres the only thing i came up with: Take a fuse out for 1 of the headlight motors. Hook some wires in the fuses place and run them to an on/off swich (fog lights or sumthin). Flip the lights up with the flip up swtich. Hit the on/off switch, so you turn off that 1 head light. NOW, when you hit the flip up switch, only 1 will go down (and up)........

Simple?

Whos Good? (me) hehehe (j/k)

Whew
:D

:bow: <Winking>

PS: I havent tested this.... :bandit:

1989se-i
09-07-2002, 02:20 PM
Guess what?! I frickin did it! it kicks @$$. Does anyone else have "winkable" headlights?

1988starter
09-08-2002, 07:07 PM
How

1989se-i
09-08-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by 1989se-i
winking at chicks=kick @$$

Heres the only thing i came up with: Take a fuse out for 1 of the headlight motors. Hook some wires in the fuses place and run them to an on/off swich (fog lights or sumthin). Flip the lights up with the flip up swtich. Hit the on/off switch, so you turn off that 1 head light. NOW, when you hit the flip up switch, only 1 will go down (and up)........

:p

theBeline
09-09-2002, 06:43 AM
My mothers vett does that, hydrolic I think, one comes up then the other, and one goes down first, so all you have to do is push the know in untill one os on the way down the pull it back out. And it winks.

My girlfriend LOVES it!

HondaBoy
09-15-2002, 07:11 PM
if ne of u want that alternating one one and one off kind of thing for the headlights like the police have, i think i u get the H4 conversion and put some strobes that would look tight. thats what i think i will do. and definatly put those strobes in my tail lights cuz i mad them clear and the ones under the back up lights are the ones im going to put strobes in.

3G Jester
10-03-2002, 09:39 AM
i did it :)

1989se-i
10-03-2002, 10:36 AM
Wow, here it is.

Is everyone doin this mod now?

89AccordHatch
11-05-2002, 08:51 PM
i have a day off tommarow...so bright and early...im out to solve this! dammit! our cars where made to do this!

Vanilla Sky
11-06-2002, 01:03 AM
with minimal stuff, it's not hard to do.. just gotta know what yer doin, and is seems you do... i would like to get mine set up to "dance" and shit... go up and down independantly... i think it would be killer

Derick

larnaton
11-06-2002, 09:49 AM
I've thought about doing something similar to this... except I don't want the headlights to flip up unless you push the button.... ever had your headlights down at night and flash your brights? It's pretty awesome looking..... Anyone know how I could stop the headlights from opening when the lights come on?

1989se-i
11-06-2002, 11:48 AM
put an on/off switch on one of the headlight motors.... then turn them both on, and only 1 will flip up and the other one will stay down but the light will be on