PDA

View Full Version : Engine dies at random while driving...

Tecknixia
01-09-2007, 11:10 AM
So I'm driving along and all of a sudden I lose acelleration... I can't rev the engine even in neutral... the rpms fall. When in gear, if I tap the gas, the car might jerk a little bit, but continue to decel. The engine sounds normal on decel, but I just can't get it to acellerate. Sometimes it will kick back in and I can take off, sometimes it slows down to a stop and dies (even with trying to use the gas pedal to keep it going). All power remains on and I can start it up again no problem and drive away.

Sometimes when idling, the car will start to die, but if I press the gas pedal a few times it sometimes goes back to idling like normal. I don't seem to have this problem if the gas tank is more then half full... it starts having problems around 1/4 tank full. It also tends to have this problem mostly when the car is facing downhill.

I'm not getting an engine light
I've changed my fuel filter and the fuel that came out was muddy towards the bottom of the filter.
I've replaced spark plug wires
I replaced the wire harness that comes out of the distributor
Replaced cap and rotor
Replaced battery (old one would die when the car would stall like this)
Replaced air filter
Replaced oil filter
Engine smokes (oil) badly
Gas consumption seems to be ok, but i haven't measured it
I have a ghetto rigged fuel injector wire which I will be repairing soon (one injector won't kill the engine will it?)
Injectors leak... I have the seals and plan on replacing them
Going to try replacing the PCV valve
I have not replaced any sensors

Anyone else have this problem before? If you fixed it what did you do?

shepherd79
01-09-2007, 02:04 PM
it may be your main relay or fuel pump.
I had simular problem. the fuel pump would stock working for a few seconds and it would turn right back on on it is own.
you may need new fuel pump.

w261w261
01-09-2007, 04:51 PM
I'd look at the fuel pump also. Fortunately, it's an easy install.

Tecknixia
01-15-2007, 04:15 PM
Yeah, I talked to someone else who knows about cars about this and he said it was the fuel pump as well.

The main relay doesn't know when the tank is at a certain level. This problem is definitely affected by the amount of fuel in the tank.

MessyHonda
01-15-2007, 07:41 PM
cool now you can get a fuel pump and pay the lil bit extra for the lifetime warranty so if it goes bad you can return it and get a new one