PDA

View Full Version : Jim.... ...anyone really... ...airbags!!

markmdz89hatch
09-04-2002, 12:32 PM
hey I got an idea...

There is an auto mechanic/auto body shop nearby me that is owned by a family friend. I talked to him a while back about putting airbgs in cars that were not originally equipped with them from factory. He said that he's never done it before, but would be willing to give it a shot.

So... (Jim, I hope you're reading this)... ...I know that some of you would love to keep your/get another 3G, but are worried terribly and justifiably about your safety. **that's right, now you get it, I'm talking about SAFETY aribags, not alternative to hydro's airbags.**

So here's your chance, I am willing to offer up my car as a guinea pig for this project and front the initial expense, if some of you would be interested in this.

Jim, I know that the only reason you listed as to why you don't want another 3G is b/c of the lack of a-bags. ...so here's the answer... ...now you can have your cake and eat it too... ...so don't give up hope on the 3G just yet.

Let me know!!!!

damackz
09-04-2002, 01:36 PM
daymn thatz hella thoughtful of u dude! personally no airbags for me unless I can play with da switches lol :D but yeah props to u for thinking about that :pimp:

markmdz89hatch
09-04-2002, 01:44 PM
safety 1st.

you can't have fun in your car if ur 6ft. under

jigga225
09-04-2002, 02:04 PM
I know some things are unchangeable, but just dont drive crazy, and watch out for dumbasses and dont get hit like I did. kNow you limits, and how to maneuver the car.

Words Basketball coach :: " Control the ball, J. Dont let it control You..."

AZmike
09-04-2002, 03:31 PM
This is going to be a costly mod. Sometimes airbags get stolen out of steering wheels they're so valuable. I think they run about $400 each. Then you'd need another steering wheel and all the accelerometers that tell it when it should go off. Not that it's a bad idea, it just might be more expsensive than you thought. Airbags aren't the kind of thing you can pick up up cheap at the yard like most of other stuff.

1989 DX R
09-04-2002, 05:47 PM
Yeah, its probably gonna run 5000$ easy. Maybe more.

night
09-04-2002, 06:01 PM
the bags are like a grand.
shouldnt be to hard really. fit the steering wheel, mount sensor in the bumper. only pain will be rigging the speed part. they are only supposed to go off a a minimum speed.
otherwise if you sit on your bumper the air bag will go off.

Coitis1
09-05-2002, 03:58 PM
great idea. but i'm with the last 2. that can be expensive and trying to get it to go off at the right time might be deadly, literally. but hey, if u can get that part worked out than go for it.

Jims 86LXI HB
09-05-2002, 11:33 PM
After reading this post really carefully, I want to thank you for doing the post. But having followed all the hopela that surrounded what's involved in a airbag system, I really don't think that adding one on as a afterthought would really be a viable thing. Wiring it up, how and where to place the sensor's just don't lend themselves to being the kind of things I'd want to sink money into, I just don't think it would really work. Interesting thought though.