PDA

View Full Version : engine swap info needed

valleyweb
01-09-2007, 07:58 PM
hey, totally new to the honda thing (formally a nissan man) i am having some problems decifering engine names etc, i have read many post's so far , and haven't seen anything yet, .. i have a 1989 Honda Accord, its carbed , i think it is the a20 ..? . what i am wondering is what is the best engine swap to do so i can get some FI happening, this motor in it is a pile of crap and has 374,000kms on it, so i need to replace it here quick, but i want a little more power, anyone heard of a b16a2 swap into a 3g accord?, my buddy just swapped one into his acura el and can get me one cheap...... anyhelp would be much appreciated..

MessyHonda
01-09-2007, 08:03 PM
:welcome: to the site.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?p=670237#pos%20t670237

valleyweb
01-09-2007, 08:31 PM
thanks. nice accord man. my buddy got me bit by the vtec bug a few weeks ago when he got his 2000 Acura el back from the shop with a brand new b16a2.. man that car pulls hard..... What i am looking for is a motor from a 87-91 honda civic si motor. is that dohc? and is it do able as far as my car is carbed and not FI ? would i have to use my tranny or would i have to find motor, tranny , and axles, and such?

MessyHonda
01-09-2007, 08:48 PM
yeah the first thing is convert it to fuel injection.

well the first question is the car worth the money to spend 3k on a engine swap. also can you do it your self or will you have to pay another person to do it for you. one of the popular engine is the b18a you will need custom engine mounts. its best to have a whole swap...i dont think you want to put in a civic motor unless its a B series.

shepherd79
01-09-2007, 08:55 PM
well since you are carbed i am going to start from here:
1. you have to convert to EFi (it is not easy, you have to take 2/3 of the car apart and replace almost everything) or find EFI accord.
2. The only engine that will fit without any custom mounts would be JDM B20A motor. The motor was stock available in 86-88 accord, and 86-87 prelude (don't confuse with 88-89 prelude, totaly diff motor). It produced 160hp without Vtec. The problem is to find one in the US with 5 speed. They are rare as hell and it is hard to find parts for them.
3. So you want Vtec motor. well to start you will need custom mounts. No one at this moment makes them. PlaceRacing used to make them, but they went out of business about a year or so ago. They are hard to find, even harder than B20A engine. Even if you find, get ready to spend anywhere from $500 to $1000 for engine mounts.
4. So you got the engine mounted, now you have to think about driveshafts, shifter linkage (custom made), wirring harness (custom made) and so on and on.

Vtec swaps have been done and people love it. It is not easy to do.
Depending on where you live, you can pick up accord with B16 already in it.
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54276
I helped Steve to convert from carb to EFI and drop the engine.
it is the easiest and way for you to have accord with Vtec at this point.

valleyweb
01-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Well thanks for the much needed info.. i think i am going to fix this power steering issue i am having with it, and just make it a driver. probably start saving some money for a nice stock 4th gen integra to start with...

snoopyloopy
01-15-2007, 04:07 PM
4g integra? do you live outside the us? bc i know the rsx is simply the rebadged 4g integ. if so, sweet. the k-series is a wonderful development.

MessyHonda
01-15-2007, 07:34 PM
the K20 would be crazy

Hash_man_Se_i
01-16-2007, 01:00 AM
seeing as he is talking about acura EL's... I'm gonna go ahead and assume he is in Canada.... and rsx's are still rsx's here.