PDA

View Full Version : I Need Brake Help!!!

azazel_18_2
01-10-2007, 07:07 AM
I recently replaced my master cylinder on my 89 accord lxi because it was leaking out the rear seal. I bled the brakes real well going through 2 big juggs of fluid using my mityvac brake bleader. How far should I have to push the pedal before my brakes grab? I have to push it 1/4 of the way down then they grab hard. My front pads and rear brakes were changed 6 months ago. Every since I had this car it has been this way and it sucks! Is this h ow it is supposed to be or do I have other problems like a bad rear cylinder or bad fron caliper? Any help would be great. I already purchased the whel cylinders and plan on replacing them this weekend. Any ideas?

Vanilla Sky
01-10-2007, 07:35 AM
still sounds like air in your lines to me.

shepherd79
01-10-2007, 07:58 AM
have you adjusted the emergency brake cable? your rear brakes may not be gripping as soon as you think.

MessyHonda
01-10-2007, 08:45 AM
when i swapped all my lines i had to blead my car.....i went and bought some dot 4 fluid and the pedal is fine to me...it just stops more controlled due to the sei set up. you should blead from the longest line to the shortest one.

azazel_18_2
01-10-2007, 09:05 AM
I downloaded the HOnda shop manual a year ago. I bled them correctly and will do it again here in a little while. I used some synthetic dot 3 brake fluid but that shouldn't matter. Usually when I blead brakes I MIGHT use half a big jug of brake fluid.

shepherd79
01-10-2007, 09:10 AM
since you used synthetic dot3 , did you drain the old DOT3 before you poored the new one. the mixture could affect the system.

azazel_18_2
01-10-2007, 09:37 AM
I did drain the entire system first. The old brake fluid was brown. This has been a nightmare. Never had so much problem with brakes. I have pumped so much fluid through them they should be properly bled.

Oldblueaccord
01-10-2007, 10:34 AM
I too would make sure the rear shoes are adjusted right up to the rear drums. Just enuff so you can slip them on. They will be hard to removve.

I quick check of this is how many click will your E-brake handle go before it holds the car? With my shoes adjusted its like 3 to 6 clicks at the most. With the handle up a few clicks you will notice the brake pedal will feel tight and right at the top.

wp

azazel_18_2
01-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Here is what I know. I just pulled the e-brake cover off to see how it is adjusted. When I pull the e-brake the passenger side cable only pulls about half an inch while the drivers side cable pulls and inch and a half. Also when I release the e-brake I hear a squeek. It is not in the linkage however because it also squeeks when I let off the brake pedal. I am thinking my driver's side shoes are not properly adjusted. I went ahead and bought new rear brake cylinders and will replace them when I get around to adjusting the rear brakes. What do you think?

MessyHonda
01-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Here is what I know. I just pulled the e-brake cover off to see how it is adjusted. When I pull the e-brake the passenger side cable only pulls about half an inch while the drivers side cable pulls and inch and a half. Also when I release the e-brake I hear a squeek. It is not in the linkage however because it also squeeks when I let off the brake pedal. I am thinking my driver's side shoes are not properly adjusted. I went ahead and bought new rear brake cylinders and will replace them when I get around to adjusting the rear brakes. What do you think?

man sounds like you have a lil prob....also clean up the drum area...i used almost half a can of brake clean since one of my cly looked like it was leaking...thats why i upgraded to se-i set up...its easy to blead and check for wear.

azazel_18_2
01-11-2007, 06:23 AM
I would like to change to the sei set up but I am currently broke. Got in a bad car accident and wasn't able to work for 8 months. I found my problem last night. Leaking rear wheel cylinder. I went ahead and changed both and the pads even though I had them changed not to long ago. The side that had the leaking wheel cylinder got the fluid on the shoes. Thanks for the help.

MessyHonda
01-11-2007, 09:23 AM
I would like to change to the sei set up but I am currently broke. Got in a bad car accident and wasn't able to work for 8 months. I found my problem last night. Leaking rear wheel cylinder. I went ahead and changed both and the pads even though I had them changed not to long ago. The side that had the leaking wheel cylinder got the fluid on the shoes. Thanks for the help.

yeah that was my prob thats why i changed it out...and sorry about the accident.