PDA

View Full Version : ERG Valve?

ghost103
01-10-2007, 10:50 AM
First off I want to apologize for sounding like the n00b. With that said I have a very strange problem. I own a 89 lx-i and the car runs great, but when its cold and sits overnight its almost almost impossible to start in the morning... Its takes about 20 min to start! But once its started or if its over 50 degrees it starts right up on the first crank. I Put a jumper on the blue wire under the dash and it threw a code 12. which is a bad egr valve.. Now would that cause it to not start? I have A new cap,plugs,wires,coil,fuel filter,pump and replaced the main relay (which I know is the most obvious problem). Has anyone experienced this problem? Thanks

Sorry EGR VALVE, OH and I have spark and Pressure at the rail

bobafett
01-10-2007, 10:59 AM
I have a similar issue brought about by a different cause than sitting in the cold.

I have physically removed my EGR valve (using different intake manifold) so my wiring is not plugged in. The car runs ok until it warms up, then at some point it throws the code 12 (EGR Lift Valve).

Once I throw the code, the car runs really rough, with terrible bogging in the low end. If the car dies as a result of this, it takes me 5-15 minutes to get it restarted again. Once I wait a while, the car starts up roughly, but usually throws the code again once I start driving.

I don't know what is causing your code, but I can tell you that this code HAS stopped my car from starting up the way it should!

shepherd79
01-10-2007, 11:09 AM
try resetting ECU, pull negative cable off or fuse for 10 seconds.
If the code comes back, most likely you need a new EGR valve. It is very common for vacuum diaphram inside EGR valve to brake. without that lift sensor won't operate and it would cause ECU to go into loom mode.

ghost103
01-10-2007, 12:32 PM
Thanks for your comments and suggestions im going to try this when it gets real cold tomorrow morning :)

Wesleypipes13380
01-20-2007, 05:52 AM
First off I want to apologize for sounding like the n00b. With that said I have a very strange problem. I own a 89 lx-i and the car runs great, but when its cold and sits overnight its almost almost impossible to start in the morning... Its takes about 20 min to start! But once its started or if its over 50 degrees it starts right up on the first crank. I Put a jumper on the blue wire under the dash and it threw a code 12. which is a bad egr valve.. Now would that cause it to not start? I have A new cap,plugs,wires,coil,fuel filter,pump and replaced the main relay (which I know is the most obvious problem). Has anyone experienced this problem? Thanks

Sorry EGR VALVE, OH and I have spark and Pressure at the rail
I have the exact same problem, i'm going to change the fuel filter, air filter, etc, give it a nice tune up and see what happens.

I had a 5th gen ex that I cleaned the egr ports and it ran 100 times better than before. All but 1 were clogged, I'd try the same on this '87 I have but I can't tell where I would do that.

The Haynes manual says it could be the cold start injector, where ever that is, because they don't show it.