PDA

View Full Version : P/S pulley removal

russiankid
01-10-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm rebuilding my p/s pump this weekend, i looked on how to remove the pulley, but have two questions on it. One, i found out that the threads are left hand, so that means to loosen the bolt that holds the pulley, i need to turn it to the right like i would be tightening a regular bolt that has a regular thread? Two, how can i hold the pulley so i can get it to not spin when trying to get the bolt loose? Can i just use a screw driver to put into one of the holes in the pulley and hold it and do it that way?

sunderland
01-10-2007, 10:52 PM
I'm rebuilding my p/s pump this weekend, i looked on how to remove the pulley, but have two questions on it. One, i found out that the threads are left hand, so that means to loosen the bolt that holds the pulley, i need to turn it to the right like i would be tightening a regular bolt that has a regular thread? Two, how can i hold the pulley so i can get it to not spin when trying to get the bolt loose? Can i just use a screw driver to put into one of the holes in the pulley and hold it and do it that way?
I recently did what you are about to. You are correct about both questions. The pulley bolt has reverse threads, so instead of "righty tighty, lefty loosey" use "lefty tighty, righty loosey" For holding the pulley while turning bolt, I put the PS pump in a bench vise and used a large punch stuck through a hole in the pulley. Rebuilding the PS pump is one of the easier projects for our cars. Hopefully you have all the correct o-rings.

russiankid
01-11-2007, 04:43 AM
Alright thanks. I do have all the correct o-rings, i ordered all of them from Honda.