PDA

View Full Version : Big S.O.S. - Underhood Gas Smell

BeatThisLXI
01-12-2007, 05:07 AM
Hey guys, I got a strong gas smell under my hood. I can smell it most over the engine block area, and it might be my imagination but I think from the injectors. What might cause a gas smell from the engine compartment? And reduced mileage? I'm taking it to the mech today to get if fixed asap, b4 I blow myself up!

shepherd79
01-12-2007, 05:48 AM
injector seals are most likely. check the areas around injectors, fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator.

BeatThisLXI
01-12-2007, 06:25 AM
What are the filter and regulator next to?

ghettogeddy
01-12-2007, 06:28 AM
fuel filter is on the left side of engine bay its a small black canister with 2 threaded lines going into it should be right against the firewall

BeatThisLXI
01-12-2007, 06:44 AM
Always wondered what that damn thing was, lol! Ok, to make this easier and stop it from being 20 questions, where is an underhood diagram for our cars?
(EFI not carb)

A18A
01-12-2007, 06:49 AM
Always wondered what that damn thing was, lol! Ok, to make this easier and stop it from being 20 questions, where is an underhood diagram for our cars?
(EFI not carb)
under the hood?

MessyHonda
01-12-2007, 09:38 AM
injector seals are most likely. check the areas around injectors, fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator.

:werd:

unless you have an exhuast leak b4 the cat

shepherd79
01-12-2007, 09:45 AM
:werd:
unless you have an exhuast leak b4 the catif it was exhaust leak it would smell like exhaust and it would have a sound to it.

underhood diagram? you mean the picture expaling where everything is, it is in Haynes manual. chapter 1 to be exact, or shop manual. Shop manual has a lot better pictures.

MessyHonda
01-12-2007, 10:05 AM
if it was exhaust leak it would smell like exhaust and it would have a sound to it.
underhood diagram? you mean the picture expaling where everything is, it is in Haynes manual. chapter 1 to be exact, or shop manual. Shop manual has a lot better pictures.

it could be unburt fuel....leaky flex pipe...but yeah lets not jump to conclusions till he replys back...i bet its the injectors....it seams like its a common problem for 18 year old hondas

BeatThisLXI
01-12-2007, 10:51 AM
it could be unburt fuel....leaky flex pipe...but yeah lets not jump to conclusions till he replys back...i bet its the injectors....it seams like its a common problem for 18 year old hondas

And the winner is...MH! Lol. Yeah, I just ran it into the shop, it was the injectors. Not the seals but the injectors themselves. My mech said it'd be around 400 bucks. Parts and labor. He also said it'd be dangerous to do myself.

ghettogeddy
01-12-2007, 10:55 AM
well we all know what were gonna say ive never heard of it being dangerous to do injectors and on top of that ive heard there really easy to do

shepherd79
01-12-2007, 12:59 PM
injectors leaking?
WTF?
the only way they can leak if the seals (o-rings) are broken and the fuel dripping around it.
$400 is rip off. they are easy to do and you can do it yourself. your mechanic is rip off. all it takes is about 1 hour or labor and fuel injector seals.
there is nothing dangerous about it. just don't smoke or have any flamable objects around it. oh and make sure the engine is cold.
thank god i do all my work. mechanics are nothing but rip offs.

AZmike
01-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Three of the four injectors I replaced on my sedan were leaking from the seam, not the seals.

BeatThisLXI
01-12-2007, 03:29 PM
Mike said it before I did, it was the INJECTOR not the seal. The seal, yeah no prob, but it was just like AZmike said.

ghettogeddy
01-12-2007, 04:17 PM
still even then the injectors them selfs would not be hard or expensive to change

edit sorry but i forgot a word lol
see how one word can change what u mean

bobafett
01-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Changing the injectors will be no harder than changing the seals. If you are mechanically inclined the whole job shouldn't take more than an hour. I have changed my seals several times when my car sat and sat, and I have it down quick now.

shepherd79
01-12-2007, 06:25 PM
still even then the injectors them selfs would be hard or expensive to change

i have to agree with bobafet, injectors are easy to replace. can take less than an hour.

BeatThisLXI
01-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Changing the injectors will be no harder than changing the seals. If you are mechanically inclined the whole job shouldn't take more than an hour. I have changed my seals several times when my car sat and sat, and I have it down quick now.

Yeah, I'm basically mechanically brain dead. I'd have an easier time programming MegaSquirt (dreaming of OBD II, I guess...) than changing injectors. By the way I got it done today and my mech did it in about 45 mins.

Vanilla Sky
01-12-2007, 09:23 PM
do you live in FL (as your state flag dictates) or in VA as your location indicates?

MessyHonda
01-12-2007, 11:11 PM
yeah you might want to upgrade your injectors...but stock is fine also