PDA

View Full Version : GSX throttle bodies

hotdoghogie
01-12-2007, 03:32 PM
ok this seems to be getting retty popular for N/A tuned engines and i wann be the forst 88 accord with it... soo i was thinking of some GSX or4 GSX-R car swap... it doesnt seem to rediculously hard... just an extra throttle body and a free weekend...

any opinions... i see it bringing a lot more air into the engine... it seems way mor efficiant then a CAI...

seems like the effort in my honest opinion

rjudgey
01-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Cause it's worth the effort like putting two Weber DCOE's in but only slightly better as they are much better for low end power as the ECU is able to control the fuel better at low air speed velocity unlike webers which are crude in comparison. What you need is custom ECU/Ignition setup, then with some head mods, cam, pistons, rods, header, exhaust you'll be able to get anywhere between 180bhp and 230bhp even more is possible but then it gets very undriveble as well as super expensive, then off course you can allways turbo them afterwards ;0)

hotdoghogie
01-12-2007, 03:57 PM
i was thinkin bout turbos but n/a is always kewler... sleeper kinda... i planned on a header cams... if i get a mild cam grind with this setup will the stock internals hold?

thnx rjudgey...

bobafett
01-12-2007, 04:50 PM
what do you think zeph? would he be the first to run bike carbs on his accord? lol...

i have ridden in a 3g with motorcycle carbs, its was awesome! throttle response like an EFI car, compared to the weber low rpm WOT bog. :)

newaccorddriver
01-12-2007, 05:02 PM
im going to run R1 ITBs on my car when its all done, but im not carbed, so ill have alot more fun tuning it all with megasquirt. i dont think GSXR ITBS are carbed, but rather fuel injected

hotdoghogie
01-12-2007, 05:12 PM
mines FI...lol...

newaccorddriver
01-12-2007, 05:24 PM
then whats with the weber discussion:huh:

hotdoghogie
01-12-2007, 05:25 PM
i dunno was taking bout throttle bodies ...

bobafett
01-12-2007, 05:56 PM
lol my bad - i was at work and reading quickly....

but imo na itbs is a sweet setep.... and on zeph's (zufer) car his carbed itbs are bitchin

hotdoghogie
01-12-2007, 06:00 PM
ya man i hear no downers from everybody i ask... how much power do u think i will gain with this setup?

MessyHonda
01-12-2007, 10:58 PM
ok,,,first of all wut the fuck is your question?....you want a GSR TB in your car? or do you want to do the b16 intake mani mod? gsr swap? and :wtf: is GSX?

snoopyloopy
01-13-2007, 08:01 AM
gsx = suzuki motorcycle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gsx)
gsx = mitsubishi eclipse awd turbo

MessyHonda
01-13-2007, 08:02 AM
so he wants ITBS?

snoopyloopy
01-13-2007, 08:06 AM
yes.

MessyHonda
01-13-2007, 08:09 AM
OOOOOOoooooooh!

hotdoghogie
01-13-2007, 10:36 AM
lol... why would i want some mtsubishi crap on my car... i didnt want to be too specific with GSX-R because most GSX throttle bodies are similar and im shure u can make them all work... i didnt mean to get u all mixed up with stuff

if u woulda read the first thing o wrote u prolly woulda got the point though...

so waht i asked is... how much power do u think i would gain.... would i notice a difference in it?

snoopyloopy
01-13-2007, 10:53 AM
lol...yeah, and the tb on my gsx is only 60 mm and most certainly would not bolt on to my accord.

rjudgey
01-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Depends on the choke size i think they are 40-42mm not 100% sure? if so should easily be capable of upto 200bhp but with a lot of race mods more would be possible.
Stock internals are okay as long as you keep the revs to 7k or less anymore and the engine con rods will snap if you plan on high mileage e.g 20k miles or more. If you don't plan on high mileage and lots of track and drag then stock rods and Honda OEM pistons are good upto 7.5k with 8k occasionally and in short bursts. But for the sake of $300 or bit more go with aftermarket even if you use the stock pistons, but forged would be better for high rpm much stronger but you'll need a full rebuild if you did go down this route.
With the GSX-R best mods if you want to keep the bottom end stock, would be headwork, larger valves, mild camshaft, header, exhaust, should get you around 180-190bhp with upto 7.5k rpm redline and that should keep things in one piece for a while.
If you wanted more then you'd be looking at wilder camshaft, with more headwork, uprated titanium con rods, titanium pins, forged High CR ratio pistons, but you may need to go up in size on ITB's you would need 42mm-45mm ITB's which would be able to hit 220+bhp roughly depending on cam specs and CR ratio.

hotdoghogie
01-13-2007, 02:54 PM
no shit... that sounds awsome so bout 40-42 mm throttle bodies... ya man and everything u named of is what i had planned... what about velocity stacks... do i reely need to run filters?

rjudgey
01-14-2007, 02:16 AM
You don't need filters but unless you don't mind rebuilding every 30k miles i suggest you run them, also they other thing is if you get anything that comes loose like a nut, or bolt, or even say a stone flies up underneath when your foot is on full throttle it will suck just about anything up like a Bangkok whore and will destroy a valve and combustion chamber quite easily. Had this happen to me a few times although admitedly was when i had K&N filters on as the filter plates had little nuts that hold everything to gether and they would allways be falling off and being sucked in damn annoying!!

But check the bore size on the ITB's i'm not 100% sure on the sizes might be 38mm but that would still be good.

2drSE-i
01-14-2007, 09:41 AM
are you really in oklahoma? anyway your not going to see any real power increase from ITB's, more than likely you will gain power from the new intake manifold your going to have to fab up. ITB's are all about throttle response.

MessyHonda
01-14-2007, 11:16 PM
are you really in oklahoma? anyway your not going to see any real power increase from ITB's, more than likely you will gain power from the new intake manifold your going to have to fab up. ITB's are all about throttle response.

they give you like 25hp

rjudgey
01-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Ignore 2DRSEI, ITB's will give you a huge increase in BHP adn torque depending on how you go with engine mods, if you do just put them on a bone stock engine you won't gain a great deal and you won't rev very high either, but if you plan out a full modification program for your engine then you will get the benefits of ITB's e.g. an engine with Header, exhaust, mild cam, some basic headwork, increased CR ratio with the modified stock intake and injection system you'd be lucky to get upto around 160-170bhp maybe a little more, add on the ITB's with a proper aftermarket ECU and a well setup tune and you'd be looking at around 200-220bhp with the ability to make power upto 8-9k rpm although i'd strongly recommend some serious quality rods for 8k+ rpms.

hotdoghogie
01-15-2007, 11:34 AM
yo thnx... u guys helped out alot... anyways i see ITB's giving more power... just look at how much more air is allowed in compaired to stock... its gas after that i se being a prob... my car runs very rich (it likes to backfire slightly "little pops" when i let of the gas at higher rpms) and it is and i dont run a A/c... those ex model civic have no chance against my car...

I dont plan doing much more then a mild cam, heads, exaughst, and other ricer mods...

where can i get an ecu upgrade?... do i need to switch to Obd1?

rjudgey
01-15-2007, 11:47 AM
your best bet if you've dumped the AC would be to convert to a full aftermarket ECU/Igntion with a crank fired setup with 3D map on ignition as well. Look at Electromotive which is one of the best especially on the ignition side with it's twin coil packs, will make it very efficient on fuel as well as very accurate being crank fired. Other cheaper alternatives if your good with electronics would be Megasquirt which basically gives you the same as the top brands but in a DIY electronics kit that you solder yourself. You need to tap in new sensors al over the engine for both setups but at least you won'thave to worry about them going out of production like the Honda ones for ours, and they'll be half the price too compared to honda parts. OBD1 is okay but for the effort that goes into putting it in it's far better invested in custom or Megasquirt which will ultimately be better and easier to tune which you could use a small PDA or laptop while your on the move.

hotdoghogie
01-15-2007, 01:26 PM
ya... hmm i havnt really looked into all this ignition stuff... does it really give u that much more power?

honestly out of your experiences what is better then gsx-r TB... i want the most amount of power out of this engine without going turbo... rebuilding ever 30k miles isnt on my list of things to do... im 17 i dont have a lot of $

amaze me

MessyHonda
01-15-2007, 07:19 PM
yeah you should check out mikes car...he is NA and he has like 160 hp....he had a thread about his dyno...check it out

hotdoghogie
01-15-2007, 10:07 PM
o kewl... io think when im done i will be pushing like 180 n/a

MessyHonda
01-15-2007, 11:06 PM
o kewl... io think when im done i will be pushing like 180 n/a

wheel hp or crank?

hotdoghogie
01-15-2007, 11:23 PM
crank prob... maybe like 150/160 whp

MessyHonda
01-15-2007, 11:29 PM
yeah with NA it could be a lil hard....my goal is 130...i want to dyno after all my mods.

hotdoghogie
01-15-2007, 11:31 PM
ya man... im kinda scared to try some of this stuff... it seems if it dont work my wallet got emptied for nuthin...

you know our cars are really only getting about 85hp to the wheels stock

MessyHonda
01-15-2007, 11:37 PM
yeah...eric got like 108whp...and he has almost all the mods you can do to the engine...

hotdoghogie
01-15-2007, 11:42 PM
ya... man well that suxz... this is gonna mainly be a good lookin car...

how much power u think the accord of the year is pushing?

MessyHonda
01-15-2007, 11:45 PM
ya... man well that suxz... this is gonna mainly be a good lookin car...
how much power u think the accord of the year is pushing?

170whp....he really needs to dyno it but he is going turbo.

hotdoghogie
01-15-2007, 11:47 PM
ooooooomg... i am gonna ask him everything he did to his engine... im gonna be a copy cat... lol

what do u have planned 4 your car?

snoopyloopy
01-16-2007, 06:45 AM
the aoy has some much stuff done to his motor it's not even funny. from the looks of it, it's around as much as a b-series swap would be in parts. however, he isn't running an itb setup. here, look at the thread and you'll get an idea.
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57347

hotdoghogie
01-16-2007, 09:51 AM
yo thnx loopy... your like my commonsence when i need it