PDA

View Full Version : My Steering Wheel Turns on Its Own

bushbean
01-14-2007, 01:36 PM
When my 3geez go backward with the wheel slightly turned, the steering wheel will start spinning on its own, and I have to grip it to stop it from spinning. Have yall experienced this phenomenon? My other car, Corolla, does not behave this way. Therefore, I think something is wrong with my 3Geez's steering system.

Ichiban
01-14-2007, 01:44 PM
You should hold on to your steering wheel while backing up!

ghettogeddy
01-14-2007, 01:49 PM
ya mine does the same thing i actually like it lol it makes it to were i can focas on backing up nit turning

mkymonkey
01-14-2007, 04:46 PM
thats because if you start backing up and the wheel is slightly turned, it will push the car the opposite way and start to turn by it self.....who told you you can back up or even drive a car for that matter without holding the wheel :slap:

w261w261
01-14-2007, 06:07 PM
What makes your car stable when it's going ahead is what makes it unstable when it's backing up. In the wheel alignment, there are 3 parameters: toe-in (like when you point your feet kind of together), camber (when the wheels are closer together at the top than at the bottom), and caster (like on an office chair, where the centerline of the wheel is behind the axis of the chair leg). Caster makes the wheel "trail," and tends to make the car want to go straight ahead. When you back up, however, the wheel is out in front of the mounting point, and it really wants to get behind it, so it will fall off to one side or the other, and quick, usually. You definitely don't want to let go of the steering when you're backing up.

Any wear in the steering can come back to bite you when you're backing up. I had a '67 Lincoln convert once, all 6,000 lbs, and missed a turn off up in VT when my mother was with me. Showing off, I put it in reverse and backed up pretty fast. I was holding the wheel, but the steering had so much play that the car almost rolled on me...with my mother in it. I caught it, but not by much.

forrest89sei
01-14-2007, 06:42 PM
Mine does it too!

But hold the damn wheel when your in reverse!

lol

Tomisimo
01-14-2007, 09:42 PM
LoL... yea hold on to your wheel... Mine did just thet. I kinda like it. You can use thet to your advantage, you can turm around more qwicly, you just speen the wheel at the aposide side you turn on and car do all by it self... Enjoy...

MessyHonda
01-15-2007, 12:39 AM
that cuz when you are backing up you get RWD.....JDM of course

POS carb
01-15-2007, 10:10 AM
that cuz when you are backing up you get RWD.....JDM of course
this is the precursor to the Lexus automatic parallel parking system (http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/features/exterior/advanced_parking_guidance_system.html?demo=ls_park ing&s_ocid=30019)
:)
actually w261w261 is right, its a function of caster, it is normal.

bushbean
01-15-2007, 10:45 AM
I have driven Corolla, Mercedes, Isuzu, Chevy, and Nissan. They did not exhibit this phenomenon that I can feel. Perhaps some cars are much worse than others.

A18A
01-15-2007, 11:22 AM
its just normal =/ maybe your power steering is way too light?

that cuz when you are backing up you get RWD.....JDM of courseyou also get RWS

forrest89sei
01-15-2007, 12:34 PM
this is the precursor to the Lexus automatic parallel parking system (http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/features/exterior/advanced_parking_guidance_system.html?demo=ls_park ing&s_ocid=30019)
:).

ROFL!

I tried it in my families 2006 CR-V last night and it doesn't do it.

and in my Dads 1980 Mercedes Benz Diesel Wagon, and it doesn't.

Yay Caster!

w261w261
01-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Some do and some don't I guess. Maybe it has to do with the type of steering gear. For instance, if you have a worm gear, the worm can drive the gear, but the gear cannot drive the worm. Perhaps in some vehicles the wheels cannot push back through the steering mechanism.

forrest89sei
01-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Some do and some don't I guess. Maybe it has to do with the type of steering gear. For instance, if you have a worm gear, the worm can drive the gear, but the gear cannot drive the worm. Perhaps in some vehicles the wheels cannot push back through the steering mechanism.

Good Chance.

on the new ones it might be that way since so many ppl are on there cell phones while they back up?

or maybe it that way so if you are dumb and leave your e-brake off, and manual tranny in N the wheel wont turn?

IDK lol

hotdoghogie
01-15-2007, 02:01 PM
its gonna turn... newere cars dont beacause their not worn in.. its nuthin bad and makes life way easier... plus u shouldnt turn your wheel when your not moving... its hard on components... lol... thats what dad tells me

Tomisimo
01-15-2007, 04:05 PM
:)
actually w261w261 is right, its a function of caster, it is normal.

Thet APGS is just stupid!!!

If you need thet device! Then you shudent be drivin at all!!!

MessyHonda
01-15-2007, 07:33 PM
Thet APGS is just stupid!!!
If you need thet device! Then you shudent be drivin at all!!!

i agree...this only make people more lazy

Hash_man_Se_i
01-16-2007, 01:17 AM
i like how my car does that when i'm backing up.... makes backing out of my driveway perfect hahah

Hondarul
01-16-2007, 02:16 AM
maybe the assisted steering doesn't work when you are in R. Of course, you should keep at least one hand on the steering wheel. Never heard ot this phenomenon before:wtf:

2oodoor
01-16-2007, 04:20 AM
I have driven Corolla, Mercedes, Isuzu, Chevy, and Nissan. They did not exhibit this phenomenon that I can feel. Perhaps some cars are much worse than others.
Is the Corolla front wheel drive?
anyway, try letting the air out of one tire to say 15psi and have the other one 32psi and see what happens.
It is normal, nothing to get excited about.

Legend_master
01-16-2007, 05:55 AM
who told you you can back up or even drive a car for that matter without holding the wheel :slap:

I was thinking the same thing myself. Why would you ever take your hads off the steering wheel if you are moving?

Oldblueaccord
01-16-2007, 10:32 AM
You got something worn or loose on your front end. Id guess its the strut rod bushings off hand.

Standard front end check,

1: jack up one side of the car until the one tire is off the ground. The other tire must be on the ground still. I use the jacking point under the doors.

2: grab the tire in the air at the 3 and 9 o clock postion and shake/rock back and forth. slow at first. You might need someone to help look underneath. This checks tie-rods,steering rack etc. start kinda slow and work your way up a little harder. Your looking for loosness. Use common sense of course the steering wheel will move or the other tire may move if you shake the shit outta it.

3: Grab the tire 12 and 6 o clock. Rock back and fourth.This checks the wheel bearing and ball joints and upper links. There should be no play in the wheel bearings.

4: this check might show ball joints/upper link a little better. Use a pry bar under the tire at the 6 o clock pos. pry up look for slop ,looseness while prying. The upper link ball joint and bushings near the body are what your looking at.

This is your basic "front end check" any good mechanic should know. It works for all makes and models of cars

Try that.

wp